FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Terrorism and Tourism

manavbhardwaj
Friends,

What is your assessment on the impact of spreading terrorism over the tourism industry?
And if it is impacting the industry, what should the nations and people do to avert that?
deanhills
Tourists have always been targets for terrorists as their killing usually is accompanied with international media reporting and spreading of the terrorists' messages. Egypt springs to mind in this. I can imagine all Governments are vigilant and doing their best from a security point of view to keep up to date with terrorist movements. I think more than smuggling of weapons, the greatest challenge is their intelligence networks, which seem to be getting more sophisticated than the ones of the countries they are attacking, given the last big attack in Mumbai. More than updating security equipment, the greatest need is to get necessary intelligence of terrorists, to get to them where they are in Afghanistan, Pakistan, wherever they are, and to work on preventive attacks, such as the US has been doing after Sept11, fighting the terrorists in their home territories, rather than waiting for them to arrive in the US.
ocalhoun
Well, obviously, terrorism is bad for tourism...
The only thing you can do about it is eliminate the terrorism (especially in your area) and assure people that your destination is safer than others.
davidfromoz
I think terrorism is over rated as a danger to people.

You are far more likely to die from drowning, fire, traffic accident and any one of a million other things than a terrorist attack when you take your trip. I think the industry and governments should look to other methods of making my travel experience more enjoyable and safer than additional cracking down on terrorism.

Of course we should always check for dangers before traveling anywhere. Its true there are some countries that I might have some hesitation to travel to because I suspect that a lot of people there might not want me there. (Afghanistan?) There are some countries where I might be a bit more careful (Egypt?). In the vast majority of cases I don't consider the danger greatly increased. I will happily travel to Spain, Indonesia, India, USA without taking any additional precautions.

cheers,
david
deanhills
davidfromoz wrote:
I think terrorism is over rated as a danger to people.

cheers,
david

Perhaps in the country you are living? Not in the whole of the world though.
atul2242
How can we eliminate terrorism??
deanhills
atul2242 wrote:
The US Government is working very hard in the Middle East to get rid of terrorists. It declared war against terrorists in 2001 after Sept11. Perhaps it needs to be supported in all its efforts.
ptfrances
I think terrorist try to destabilize countries where tourim is important. It's part of their policy.

Twisted Evil
ThePolemistis
deanhills wrote:
atul2242 wrote:
The US Government is working very hard in the Middle East to get rid of terrorists. It declared war against terrorists in 2001 after Sept11. Perhaps it needs to be supported in all its efforts.

Which terrorists exactly? And how did these terrorists become terrorists in the first place (i.e. who funded them?)

And remember, there is a difference between fighting out of nationalism (can be freedom fighters -- depending who is on the receiving ends) , and fighting to create terror/tyranny by targetting an innocent population (terrorism)

In fact, tell me (with the above definition in mind), who exactly are the terrorists? The American soldiers who have massacred hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of innocent Iraqi men, women and children, destroying their homes, crops and much more. ---or the certain Iraqis (not those who target innocent civilians) who are specifically targeting American forces (as that is what u do when ur at war with someone) in order to free their nation from occupation/subjugation and tyranny in a country which is worse now than under the evil Saddam Hussein and in whose people are among the most oppressed in the world, second only to the Palestinian people.
davidfromoz
I have to agree that the killing of innocents is not acceptable. Its not acceptable to kill innocents because people from their country killed your brother, its not acceptable to kill innocents because they share a neighborhood with a bad person. Missile attacks on wedding parties, not acceptable, shelling Israel, not acceptable, 9/11, not acceptable, Israel's devastation of Gaza, not acceptable, Mumbai hotel attack, not acceptable, Invasion of Iraq, not acceptable, Death threats against Danish cartoonists, not acceptable.

The problem is everybody feels justified in responding. Israeli's destroyed my village, I must kill them. We are justified to attack this village because it might prevent another 9/11. And everybody takes sides and sticks to them. Isn't it possible for both sides to be wrong?

Of course its not simple because mistakes are made (invasion of Iraq), differences of opinion exist (what does God want us to do, or who owns the land on which Israel now stands) and people are people and can't let go. So terrorism can't be eliminated. But it can certainly be reduced if people stand up and say that killing other people is wrong.

Moderate people, probably like nearly all of us on this forum, need to stand up and say this is wrong. Tolerance and the refusal to sanction violence against innocents is a stand that we can all take to do our tiny part to stop the senseless killing.
deanhills
ThePolemistis wrote:
In fact, tell me (with the above definition in mind), who exactly are the terrorists? The American soldiers who have massacred hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of innocent Iraqi men, women and children, destroying their homes, crops and much more. ---or the certain Iraqis (not those who target innocent civilians) who are specifically targeting American forces (as that is what u do when ur at war with someone) in order to free their nation from occupation/subjugation and tyranny in a country which is worse now than under the evil Saddam Hussein and in whose people are among the most oppressed in the world, second only to the Palestinian people.
Don't be condescending, all of us know exactly what terrorists are, AND that the American invasion of Iraq had NOTHING to do with terrorists and had been wrong, AND that there is a difference between freedom fighters and terrorists, any day. Those people who attacked Mumbai were terrorists, so were the ones who attacked the US in Sept11.
atul2242
deanhills wrote:
atul2242 wrote:

Looking at the history of terrorism, the US government has played different roles at different dates. It has supported terrorists and rebels whereever it has suited them. These are the roots of the terrorist treeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
jackbreat
My friend Dean Hills you are right.Most of time we seen that tourist are attracted by the terrorism.Terrorism are also create a big problem to traveller.
fuzzkaizer
tourism sometimes might be just a more subtle form of terrorism