FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Should Palin create a new right wing party in 2012?

Should Palin create a new right wing party in 2012?
yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
no
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
go back to Alaska
80%
 80%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 10

handfleisch
Sarah Palin's refusal to go away is fueling speculation that she will run for president in 2012 by appealing to the wingnut segment of the Republican Party. But what if the Republican's won't have her? Might Palin run independently?

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/14/palin.persistent/index.html

Quote:

Palin's media battle raises eyebrows

(CNN) -- Her bid for the vice presidency ended more than two months ago, but Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin appears determined not to become a mere afterthought.

Departing from a historical trend of failed vice presidential candidates who descend into relative obscurity after Election Day, Palin continues to command the intense media coverage that befits a national office seeker.

It's an astonishing development, given that she has no role in national domestic policy and is a first-term governor of a state almost 4,500 miles from Washington.

Palin empathizers say the Alaska governor is merely trying to recover her good name after months of damage by the mainstream media, liberal bloggers and even high-level members of the McCain campaign who grew publicly dissatisfied with their VP nominee as Election Day neared.

But some political observers suggest that Palin's ongoing -- and predominantly adversarial -- relationship with the national media is all part of a savvy effort to retain her popularity with the legions of rank-and-file conservatives who stood so strongly behind her during the campaign. Video

Should Palin eye a presidential bid herself in 2012, continued loyalty from grass-roots Republicans will be crucial in determining whether she is the early favorite in a race sure to feature a crowded field of high-profile GOP contenders.
ocalhoun
I wouldn't be surprised to see her in the Republican primaries, but I don't think she'll be selected. At most, she might get another shot at vice president, given the effect she had for McCain.

I don't see what makes you think that she would run independently though. The kind of people she appeals to and the kind of people who would vote for an independent candidate are two very different kinds.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see her in the Republican primaries, but I don't think she'll be selected. At most, she might get another shot at vice president, given the effect she had for McCain.

I don't see what makes you think that she would run independently though. The kind of people she appeals to and the kind of people who would vote for an independent candidate are two very different kinds.

Agreed. Think perhaps she would have some problems with getting sponsors, as there was some criticism about her spending habits. Probably will need to go back to school as well, as apparently she made a number of blunders from a factual accuracy point of view. Hopefully the Republicans can come up with a better selection of candidates, and perhaps a clearer vision. Think they are in need of a major overhaul.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Agreed. Think perhaps she would have some problems with getting sponsors, as there was some criticism about her spending habits. Probably will need to go back to school as well, as apparently she made a number of blunders from a factual accuracy point of view. Hopefully the Republicans can come up with a better selection of candidates, and perhaps a clearer vision. Think they are in need of a major overhaul.

Personally, I'd like too see the Republican party diminish and eventually be overtaken by a more mainstream-ized Libertarian party.
gandalfthegrey
Quote:
Personally, I'd like too see the Republican party diminish and eventually be overtaken by a more mainstream-ized Libertarian party.

We all wish that, though it will likely never happen.

As for Palin running independently or with a third party, her candidacy would be such a joke to the majority of the American public. She should just forget about national politics, at least until she is much older and wiser.

[/quote]
deanhills
gandalfthegrey wrote:
Quote:

We all wish that, though it will likely never happen.

Probably true, but one never knows. Something nice to think about.

Ditto Palin. She will have to do a lot of hard work to come up as really a serious politician with substance before the can start a campaign. I wonder whether she will though, but also wonder whether she may move away from Alaska one of these days. Looked as though she had really been enjoying herself and perhaps there may be other opportunities for her in another State?
handfleisch
Palin has ambitions and reportedly appeals to the "rank and file" Republicans (euphemism for wingnuts?) but probably doesn't stand a chance with the Republican Party officials since she was perceived as something of a disaster. There is now a debate in the Party about whether to go moderate and how much so; they would only choose Palin again in the future as the result of the right wing faction winning out, which looks unlikely now, but who knows.

Then what -- a Palin + Joe the Plumber ticket in 2012? This would mean either be a further marginalization of the Republican Party (if they lose and continue to) or US politics falling again to the right wing (say, after a major terrorist attack and the predictable reactionary politics).
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
Palin has ambitions and reportedly appeals to the "rank and file" Republicans (euphemism for wingnuts?) but probably doesn't stand a chance with the Republican Party officials since she was perceived as something of a disaster. There is now a debate in the Party about whether to go moderate and how much so; they would only choose Palin again in the future as the result of the right wing faction winning out, which looks unlikely now, but who knows.

Then what -- a Palin + Joe the Plumber ticket in 2012? This would mean either be a further marginalization of the Republican Party (if they lose and continue to) or US politics falling again to the right wing (say, after a major terrorist attack and the predictable reactionary politics).

Totally agreed Handfleisch (for a change Wink ). I also see the Republican Party going through a major change. And yes, general perception is that Palin was a disaster - along show queen lines - I cannot see them looking at her at all, as I would imagine after their defeat they would like to make a complete departure from what they had before to show to the world that they have changed. Wonder whether they will offer a job to Obama's campaign manager? Smile Perhaps that is the place where they need to start? Would be great if they could include in their nominations some serious heavy weight women, perhaps a judge or someone who has proven leadership abilities in her profession.
Nick2008
Wow wow wow... for President?

I think the most she'll ever get is Alaskan Governor, isn't that good enough for her already? She can stare at Russia from her window.

President Palin? Hm... I think moving to Mexico is a better choice than to vote for Palin as President.
ocalhoun
Nick2008 wrote:

President Palin? Hm... I think moving to Mexico is a better choice than to vote for Palin as President.

Have you looked at the Mexican government lately? Its a close call.
o_man
mexico has some issues, it's true, but they seem to try to do something about their problems, rather than finding someone else to blame. *cough* *cough* *republicans* *cough* *cough*
deanhills
o_man wrote:
mexico has some issues, it's true, but they seem to try to do something about their problems, rather than finding someone else to blame. *cough* *cough* *republicans* *cough* *cough*

Also, you could hide somewhere on a beach, not worry about Mexican or US problems, channel into the nice rambo rhythm, music and dancing. Lie back and forget about it all Smile
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
o_man wrote:

Also, you could hide somewhere on a beach, not worry about Mexican or US problems, channel into the nice rambo rhythm, music and dancing. Lie back and forget about it all Smile

If you're going to do that anyway, you might as well stay in the US and gather government assistance while you're at it.
achowles
Whether or not she should run for President would depend on whether or not Obama makes a good leader over the next four years.

If he does a good job then she should run in the next election. So as to ensure he gets a second term. If not then we'd ideally want a much better candidate who is not a complete joke.
lagoon
Another third party? You must be kidding me. The only time Palin should run for president is if the whole senate bar her is killed.
ocalhoun
lagoon wrote:
if the whole senate bar her is killed.

????
This makes no sense at all.
1: Palin is not a senator, so why the 'bar her'?
2: The presidential candidate is not required to be a former senator.