FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wikipedia Image licensing

Tony The Tiger
I am trying to help explain image licensing to the University of Michigan. Currently, about twenty images from the Bentley Historical Library at the University of Michigan are used on wikipedia, but the licensing is not proper.

Currently, wikipedia only authorizes images that are licensed under either a GNU Free Documentation License or a Creative Commons license. The University first said that they did not want to authorize use of their images under either of these license types for fear that their athletes would be perceived as endorsing things that they did not intend to endorse. When I explained that under creative commons they retained endorsement rights, they said that they did not want to allow their images to be freely used for any purpose. They have asked what other universities do? I do not know. I have been attempting to talk with the Director of Licensing and now she has punted to the Office of General counsel. Does anyone know about getting consent for use of images for public use.
Chris65536
Generally speaking, if the copyright holder says "I don't want my image used on this website/publication", you are obliged to take it down. They don't even need a reason.
jsarnold
Have you considered watermarking the images? A subtle but nonetheless clear watermark, stating copyright/usage rights might help prevent future nabbing.

Some web hosts also prevent hotlinking too.

Of course, neither of these methods stop people from simply saving the image, and even cropping it to remove watermarks near the edge, but it becomes less likely.
Tony The Tiger
Chris65536 wrote:
Generally speaking, if the copyright holder says "I don't want my image used on this website/publication", you are obliged to take it down. They don't even need a reason.

The problem is that they would like to say I don't mind my images being used on wikipedia, but I don't want them to be copied for use elsewhere.
Tony The Tiger
jsarnold wrote:
Have you considered watermarking the images? A subtle but nonetheless clear watermark, stating copyright/usage rights might help prevent future nabbing.

Some web hosts also prevent hotlinking too.

What is hotlinking? My goal is not to prevent nabbing. As a wikipedia editor, we encourage sharing information whether it be in print or in photos. My goal is to get people to share their images like I share mine.