FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Please criticise these photos

davidfromoz
Hi All,

While not in the same class as bjwok, I've been getting into photography a bit lately. I'm looking for criticism on these photos.

In particular, I'm pretty clueless about post processing. How can I make them better?

They were taken at Ocean Park in Hualien, Taiwan.

cheers,
david

ocalhoun
davidfromoz wrote:

Impeccable. Very, very good.
Quote:

Still very good, but I would cut nearly half of it off from the top. The sky past the horizon adds a little interest, but not enough for how much water has to be included to have it there. The contrast between the white roofs and the water should be plenty.
deanhills
davidfromoz wrote:

They are really excellent photos David. I tend to agree with Ocalhoun regarding the top part of the photo above, however, possibly also to use a lens that would give you the effect of a rounded horizon where the ocean ends against the sky? The photo sort of begs for it as perhaps it looks a little flat, even if part of it will be cut off. By rounding the horizon as it usually appears to our eyes, perhaps the photo will come out very differently? Smile The contrast with the white however is pretty awesome. Can you play a little with Photoshop to bring out more of the blue and contrast between the ocean and sky?
youandmephotography
both photos offer a great range in colors, and I've always enjoyed a nice ocean or water-side photos, these two are 5/5s in my opinion!
Esbat
Gorgeous photos! What kinda camera do you use?

I'm no photographer but I use an Olympus FE-210 for just casual use myself.
davidfromoz
Thank you for the feedback. They were taken with a Nikon D300 and a 16-85VR lens. I believe I used a polarizer for both shots.

They are both unprocessed, though I'll probably have a crack at number 2 as per suggestions. I'm starting to think perhaps I should have taken it landscape and just skipped the whole upper part of the image. Thats the kind of idea I post the pics to get, so thanks again.

cheers,
david
davidfromoz
I played with it a bit. Of course its a smaller picture now, but if I was doing it again, then perhaps this is the frame I would do. Slight post processing to bring out some of the colors.

Old one

ocalhoun
^A good improvement...

I wonder... Those roofs probably look very interesting at sunset; that might be a great time to come back for another shot.
joostvane
Nice work on the improvement of the picture.

I Like both photos, but I still like the top one the most Smile
lethaltriad
Nice pics, I really love the first one, maybe some adjustments to the levels and a slight S curve would be good for added contrast. The second pic is nice also but i'm having a hard time with the composition of it. Like I said though, really digging the first one, looks like a perfect pic for the brochure for Ocean Park.
Honolulu
First one is a lot better than the second one since its ha a pretty rich color of content. Nice pics!
Sphaerenkern
The photos are nice, I especially like the sky in the first picture.
Speaking about post-processing, did you ever play around with HDR?
ParsaAkbari
I liked the first one but the second one conatines too much water and sky, it would also be better if you somehow rounded the top of it off to make it look like those curvey roof white things.
desonium
The first picture is very beautiful, really nice, Don't change it!
The second is also nice but too high. I should make him a bit shorter.
pmehta51
Nice photographs. I really like those pictures. Way to go. You really got some skills. Especially they are so clean. Very well focused. Have you edited them or it is how they were taken. Great job.
imera
For being new you're great at taking pictures, you also have nice motives that has great colours
Arnie
I think they're way cool.
bbco
I think your pictures are amazing. Unlike most I prefer the second picture...there is something very artistic and unusual about it. I can visualize it as a modern painting . Keep up the good work...look forward to seeing more photos.
michaeljscott93
They both may need some compositional work, because the second image has far too much blue!

The first one I like, because there is some nice detail and the Sky is very interesting!!!

Were you using a Polariser for the first image, because the top part of the sky is very dark!
davidfromoz
Yes, I used a polarizer for the first photo.

I think you are right that the second one could have been composed better. Maybe landscape with 2/3 of the screen filled with roof. May be some time before I can shoot there again though Sad

Thank you everybody for the comments.
cheers
david
Chinmoy
i found them quite nice.
soljarag
the top one looks great! i love the angle and the clouds
standready
They are both very good. I personally like the second untouched because of horizon. If cutting it I would get that red roof height centered but that is just me.
PennyLane
I just love them. Especially the colours... Wow....
la_Duchess
davidfromoz wrote:
I played with it a bit. Of course its a smaller picture now, but if I was doing it again, then perhaps this is the frame I would do. Slight post processing to bring out some of the colors.

Old one

Very nice pictures. I have the same lens. I got it for Christmas. I love it. I have not had a great opportinity to use it yet. I'm going to the Bahama's next month and I can't wait to play with it.
la_Duchess
standready wrote:
They are both very good. I personally like the second untouched because of horizon. If cutting it I would get that red roof height centered but that is just me.

I would not center the red roof. That would draw your eyes only to the center of the picture. I would maybe brighten it up a bit to show a bolder colour of the water behind. Other than that it's a great picture.[/img]
Garga
These photos were taken and greate. I love it.And very good quality
mikakiev
The 1st photo

In my opinion, the shape and size of water makes me itchy. Maybe you could cut it off to focus on the tower??I'm not sure, though.
Kopernikus
I like them both very much.
But the first one is a little skewed, i think, and could use some perspective control
Ankhanu
Both show great composition. I disagree with Kopernikus on the first one and perspective control... part of what makes it appealing is the perspective you used.
Concerning the second:
ocalhoun wrote:
Still very good, but I would cut nearly half of it off from the top. The sky past the horizon adds a little interest, but not enough for how much water has to be included to have it there. The contrast between the white roofs and the water should be plenty.

Again, I disagree with the critique. I quite enjoy the composition. The problem isn't the amount of water/sky, its the metering. Without post processing (something I personally avoid, trying to get the picture right with the camera, not the computer), this is pretty much impossible to fix. Basically, the upper half of the shot needs to be brightened a couple stops and it would open up the scene immensely. The metering on the foreground is pretty good, perhaps a touch dark, but not too much so. The background is simply dark, which is the issue, and easily fixed in photoshop. Alternatively, if you were to reshoot the picture with the same conditions, a transitional filter would do wonders; these guys are half dark, half clear, meant to allow for more even metering in extremely bright/dark contrast situations, kind of like sunglasses that are dark up top and light underneath. if used in this situation with the dark on the bottom to reduce the brightness of the roof or whatever is in the foreground, you'd be able to meter for the sky to get it brighter without blowing out the highlights in the foreground.

Lots of fun stuff to do Smile

The D300 is a great camera. I've been thinking of getting one myself to replace my D80... mostly for the reduced ISO noise at high ISOs. I envy your camera Smile
Mudkipdw
Very good photos I think the new improvements really helped there was lot of sky and sea on that pic..... try to capture those shots at differnet times of day.... Very Happy
zbale
Hi David,

I find the first photograph nice but more common than the 2nd one, and there is the problem of perspective (on account of the lens, presumably -- it is a typical issue in architecture photography).

The second photograph I find superb, though I think it needs some postprocessing to bring out the colors in the mid and upper parts. I DO NOT think that it should be reframed, the example given somewhere in the discussion is not half as interesting as your original picture: in your picture the upper layer (which you can probably bring out a little in terms of light and color) creates yet another contrast with what comes underneath, in an abstract way which has to do more with vibration and color than with shapes (contrary to the bottom part where the contrast rests more on shapes plus light). My advice would be: avoid any glamor or paparazzi effects (the reframed version proposed in the discussion goes too much in that direction, it comes out nice and clear but it is somewhat "flatter"), try to work in the direction NOT of something "attractive" as a place where one would like to live or to imagine a romance or anything, but rather more abstractly in the direction of something that holds on the strength of the colors, the lights, the shapes, the overall sense of balance. In other words you've found a great subject to photograph and your framing is superb, but now you should forget the subject, forget the framing (they both have been dealt with when you took the picture), take a step back and deal with the picture as a whole, in which everything contributes, in its own way, to the overall impression and balance. The direction I would try to take if I were you would be Mark Rothko's paintings (type in "rothko" in Google Images and you'll immediately see what I mean).

In any case, keep going, it's excellent.
wanshishusheng
great !
guissmo
Photo #2 is quite interesting. I like it.
hamza1122
woah these are really nice. i don't think there's anything to criticise lol because they both look really nice. especially the first one. where is this taken?