FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Olmert brags about dictating US foreign policy,shaming Rice

handfleisch
So not only does US give Israel 3 billion per year, but Israel also tells the US what to do in the UN -- and on top of it all, Olmert brags in public about treating Bush like an errand boy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090112/pl_afp/mideastconflictgazaolmertusrice_newsmlmmd
Quote:

Rice shame-faced by Bush over UN Gaza vote: Olmert
Mon Jan 12, 4:59 pm ET

JERUSALEM (AFP) US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice was left shame-faced after President George W. Bush ordered her to abstain in a key UN vote on the Gaza war, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said on Monday.

"She was left shamed. A resolution that she prepared and arranged, and in the end she did not vote in favour," Olmert said in a speech in the southern town of Ashkelon.

The UN Security Council passed a resolution last Thursday calling for an immediate ceasefire in the three-week-old conflict in the Gaza Strip and an Israeli withdrawal from Gaza where hundreds have been killed.

Fourteen of the council's 15 members voted in favour of the resolution, which was later rejected by both Israel and Hamas.

The United States, Israel's main ally, had initially been expected to voted in line with the other 14 but Rice later became the sole abstention.

"In the night between Thursday and Friday, when the secretary of state wanted to lead the vote on a ceasefire at the Security Council, we did not want her to vote in favour," Olmert said.

"I said 'get me President Bush on the phone'. They said he was in the middle of giving a speech in Philadelphia. I said I didn't care. 'I need to talk to him now'. He got off the podium and spoke to me.

"I told him the United States could not vote in favour. It cannot vote in favour of such a resolution. He immediately called the secretary of state and told her not to vote in favour."

Bush has consistently placed the blame for the conflict on Hamas, telling reporters on Monday that while he wanted to see a "sustainable ceasefire" in Gaza, it was up to Hamas to choose to end its rocket fire on Israel.

But a US State Department official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, denied Olmert's claim.

"Mr. Olmert is wrong," the official said.

Even if everything had gone according to plan, "she would have abstained. That was the plan," said the official. "The government of Israel does not make US policy."
fx-trading-education
Do I understand correctly that Israel claims to decide what US should vote in the UN but that US say it is not true?
Why would Israel lie about that? I see no reason.
So it was maybe the last act of "glory" from Bush (I guess that he is to much used to do what others tell him to do)
lyndonray
the blazing hot mess that is Israel and Palestine!!! It is interesting how Olmert could brag about something like! I suppose he has nothing to lose since he is on his way out too. I fail to understand why the US stands behind Israel so much. Its like a parent that can't say no to, let alone discipline, its child. However, it comes as no suprise that the US would deny that they were told told how (not) to vote!!!
Moonspider
fx-trading-education wrote:
Why would Israel lie about that? I see no reason.

Perhaps Olmert was trying to make himself look more powerful and influential after all of the press over the past week or so about President Bush denying Israel permission to fly aircraft over Iraqi airspace in order to bomb Iran's nuclear facilities.

Why do you (both of you) take Olmert's word as gospel and automatically assume the U.S. State Department is lying? You've never exaggerated or flat out lied about something in order to make yourself look better or more important?

Respectfully,
M
deanhills
I'm totally puzzled by the news article. I thought that the outcome of the US abstaining had been predicted and was expected by everyone to happen. The US regularly abstains during resolutions about Israel. The US has never really been much bothered about the UN, never devoted overly energy to its deliberations preferring to do its own independent peace negotiations. The real Gaza peace negotiations for the US were being conducted in Egypt to stop the smuggling of weapons to Gaza. So cannot understand where this news article is coming from?