FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Newbie needs help... Is PHP the answer???

wolfestine
I have a project in which I have to connect to a messenger (yahoo, msn, aim, google etc) server with a cellphone using J2me. The phone connects to a server, using XMPP (which involves sending and receiving packets in the form of XML data using sockets), and the server in turn acts as a client for a chat server (which may be yahoo, msn, google etc). Apart from all this, my server should also be able to act a proper jabber server, which means that it is able to rely messages to users without connecting to any other chat server. Can all this be implemented using PHP? Also since I require only opening of sockets, can the CLI be used for it? Could somebody please help me go about it?

Thanks,
Really confused
coreymanshack
Actually, you may be able to use php(even CLI), but I think Java would be better.
wolfestine
Thank u for replying. I would be really grateful to you if you could give me points for and against the languages to put my point across to the guy who gave me the project.

Also, can we host regular java programs online? or is there a special way of coding for posting the program online. Are there servers available that let you run your java program on them?

Once again I'd like to point out that all I require is opening of sockets, sending packets and handling XML.

Thanks.
coreymanshack
wolfestine wrote:
Thank u for replying. I would be really grateful to you if you could give me points for and against the languages to put my point across to the guy who gave me the project.

Also, can we host regular java programs online? or is there a special way of coding for posting the program online. Are there servers available that let you run your java program on them?

Once again I'd like to point out that all I require is opening of sockets, sending packets and handling XML.

Thanks.

Java is interpreted on the client side most of the time, there is a special way of coding for posting it online. I don't know pros and cons, you may want to google it.