FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Benefits of fasting

kuranka
Hi guys and ladies!

Recently I have visited with my Grandma, who is 83, who was a nurse in a WWII, whose husband died of cancer; meanwhile the woman raised 3 kids and is never sick. I asked her what is the secret of her health, because she seems to eat everything that we do. Her answer was that every week she fasts for a day; and she believes that the habit of fasting helped her to stay slim, focused, and live longer.
deanhills
kuranka wrote:
Hi guys and ladies!

Recently I have visited with my Grandma, who is 83, who was a nurse in a WWII, whose husband died of cancer; meanwhile the woman raised 3 kids and is never sick. I asked her what is the secret of her health, because she seems to eat everything that we do. Her answer was that every week she fasts for a day; and she believes that the habit of fasting helped her to stay slim, focused, and live longer.

Sounds great, wow, 83 years old and slim and trim. Something that you can look forward to then as well. Smile
atul2242
Fasting common in the Hindu religion may have this scientific base
deanhills
atul2242 wrote:
Fasting common in the Hindu religion may have this scientific base

What fasting do you do in the Hindu religion? Would be interesting to learn about this, and how does it have a scientific basis?
Crinoid
I would rather think that she just is incredibly healthy, it's in her genes and environment.

Healthy: not even flu, cold and joints pain?
My guess, right or no, will be that she was in environment, free from contact with hundreds of people every day, significant part of them take flights to the other countries, therefore chances for catching infection are high, and each time it is a new strain.

Not as stressful work and family life too - lucky her, as life of these, whose work wears them and their nerves down fast, with Damocles' sword of losing jobs and ending up as a homeless, too tired and hopeless even to hate what they are facing every day and bracing themselves each morning to go through another day, with no better choice. Listening, what is going on the streets every night. Brr-r-r.

And probably this is not a big industrial city with strong pollution, fluoridated chloramined water, going through copper piper, heavy metals containing dental fillings, food with chemical preservatives, noisy inconsiderate neighbors, driving people crazy, no contact with peaceful nature with no people around on a regular basis.

There are a lot of cases, when people with very bad life habits lived long lifes without ever being in hospital, while other people, who all their lives took great care about their health and life style, become sick like any of us and died decades earlier.

I, personally, know 3 more moderate cases, when the person with healthy life and no worry about future:
- 1st moved to a city with high pollution (no massive contacts with others, no professional dangers, no chemicals in food/drinks) and died from cancer,
- 2nd moved to suburbs of the same city, housegranny in upper middle class, lived to 95 years without problems that many people of her age had; her children, working in polluted environment, died in much earlier age, with diseases,
- 3rd was staying in the semi-rural place, from where previous person moved. No pollution, healthy food and water, significantly less stresses and contacts with other people, contact with nature, with bad habits, and died in 86 years even in healthier state, than previous person.
All of them were not related.
Go figure. Confused
Johnsenesque
Crinoid wrote:
I would rather think that she just is incredibly healthy, it's in her genes and environment.

Healthy: not even flu, cold and joints pain?
My guess, right or no, will be that she was in environment, free from contact with hundreds of people every day, significant part of them take flights to the other countries, therefore chances for catching infection are high, and each time it is a new strain.

Not as stressful work and family life too - lucky her, as life of these, whose work wears them and their nerves down fast, with Damocles' sword of losing jobs and ending up as a homeless, too tired and hopeless even to hate what they are facing every day and bracing themselves each morning to go through another day, with no better choice. Listening, what is going on the streets every night. Brr-r-r.

And probably this is not a big industrial city with strong pollution, fluoridated chloramined water, going through copper piper, heavy metals containing dental fillings, food with chemical preservatives, noisy inconsiderate neighbors, driving people crazy, no contact with peaceful nature with no people around on a regular basis.

There are a lot of cases, when people with very bad life habits lived long lifes without ever being in hospital, while other people, who all their lives took great care about their health and life style, become sick like any of us and died decades earlier.

I, personally, know 3 more moderate cases, when the person with healthy life and no worry about future:
- 1st moved to a city with high pollution (no massive contacts with others, no professional dangers, no chemicals in food/drinks) and died from cancer,
- 2nd moved to suburbs of the same city, housegranny in upper middle class, lived to 95 years without problems that many people of her age had; her children, working in polluted environment, died in much earlier age, with diseases,
- 3rd was staying in the semi-rural place, from where previous person moved. No pollution, healthy food and water, significantly less stresses and contacts with other people, contact with nature, with bad habits, and died in 86 years even in healthier state, than previous person.
All of them were not related.
Go figure. Confused

I guess what can be extrapolated from that is that whilst the environment has an effect on your lifespan and health, your own body and bodily systems have an effect as well. Don't quote me on that though, I'm probably wrong, hehe.
mejo1900
Fasting has a lot of dangers too...for example if I don't eat regularily I pass out.

that being said it can build stamina and can detox the body. I would suggest using a special diet that promotes detox once a week instead of fasting (fasting can shock the body and mess up your metabolism)
scallywag
Fasting can be very beneficial to your body, but only if done in a healthy way! Fasting gives your body a break from digesting food, so it can work on just clearing out all the toxins and junk built up in your system.

If you've never fasted before, read books & check the internet for reliable sources before you do anything. I did a 3 day juice fast with my partner, where instead of just full out now eating, we had several drinks of freshly made fruit & vegetable juice drinks every day. This is much easier on the body then abstaining from all food & drink, as it still provides your body with all the nutrients it needs, but because it is all liquid it can be digested very easily by the body, with minimal effort.
handfleisch
kuranka wrote:
Hi guys and ladies!

Your Grandma is right on. If you fast once a week (say on Sunday when you're going to take it easy), you end up feeling great on Monday. You also realize that you can live on a lot less food and will stop eating giant meals for no reason.

Tips if you never have done it: Feel free to drink things that are quite heavy during your first fasts (say a veggie juice mix that is half tomato juice). You will find that this kills hunger pains. Milky drinks like India "chai" tea also can feel like a meal. Then regular teas, herbal teas etc also are good. After gettng used to fasts, the herbal teas will suffice to kill your pangs during the days.

One more interesting thing is that you most people feel hungriest around 2pm (a good time to have that tomato juice), but by the evening they don't even feel hungry anymore.
peaceupnorth
Fasting once a week is a pretty healthy habit in a lot of ways.

Your digestion gets a break, as someone mentioned. Your body starts to do some maintenance and cleaning that it didn't have the chance to do when it was processing food. Sleep tends to be better after a little fasting, although some people can get jittery and nervous.

People who are really weak, sick and/or hypoglycemic; children and pregnant moms; and people with diabetes probably are better off not doing this sort of fasting. Most other people are usually fine with it, if they don't get too neurotic about not eating.

The regular fasting also has mental benefits too. A break from eating frees up so much time! The mind gets quieter, and it's a nice time for contemplantion.

I find the fasting day has times with low energy and times with a lot of energy... just like all the other days, except maybe more noticeable. My tummy makes lots of funny gurgling sounds, sometimes a little burping or tooting.

I used to be skinny, but taking breaks from eating once in a while actually helped me gain weight. I suspect I just wasn't digesting optimally. I wouldn't say a one day fast is much of a shock to most healthy persons, even if they are in their 80s!