FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can i make my own domain?

Parkour_Jarrod
can i make my own domains to use and such? if so how? can some one tell me please i want to make my own domains instead of teh generic .com .net .org ect ect
the-guide
The right to use a domain name is delegated by domain name registrars which are accredited by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), the organization charged with overseeing the name and number systems of the Internet.
davidfromoz
Examples of registrars are Register.com and godaddy.com but there are many more. You will have to pay to register a domain. And its always going to have a generic extension to it (like .com .org .us etc). Anyway, those sites have tools that you can use to explore what names are available and what ones are taken.

I have used both of them. register.com has good service in my opinion, but seems to be a bit pricey. I just registered a domain wth godaddy.com and they are cheaper and so far so good.

Once you have registered the domain, you can then make a website and host the domain (can be at a different location, like Frihost I think) Your host should give you dns information that you can enter at the registrar so it points to the site.

cheers,
david
albuferque
Alternative top-level domain names (approved by ICANN)
ICANN is the international body that oversees and controls the allocation of top-level domains around the world. Recently, they allowed for the creation of seven new international (non-country-specific) domain names. These 7 new top domains are as follows:

.aero
.biz
.coop
.info
.museum
.name
.pro

Alternatively, you can buy some country's top level extension. Like DJ Bernstein at cr.yp.to/djb.html which is a Togo Domain but cry.yp.to is a great idea on how to use these extensions.

There is a list of domain extensions on this page:

http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/topleveldomains/countrycodeA-E.asp