FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can c++ still be kald a programming language?

jossylala
Hey all,i was just wondering. Can c++ still be cald a programming language cos i hardly c programmers using it. May be we should get a new category for it instead of kaling it a programming language. What do you guys think?
Gushe
Off course it is a programming language. Smile
AftershockVibe
If you don't see people using it then you aren't looking very hard!

Rolling Eyes
snowboardalliance
How does that change what it is? What are you even trying to say?
Jamestf347
I'm a highschool student and i know c++, its actually a very common language... Look at your operating system, most of you programs, it was just about all coded in C++. kthx bai
jossylala
Good to know james that you know c++, but dont you thing its rather old?
snowboardalliance
jossylala wrote:

First of all, irrelevant, still a programming language
Secondly, c++ is still being actively developed with c++0x t o be finalized soon.
Thirdly, why don't you think it is a programming language?
Hogwarts
jossylala wrote:
Hey all,i was just wondering. Can c++ still be cald a programming language cos i hardly c programmers using it. May be we should get a new category for it instead of kaling it a programming language. What do you guys think?

If it's a language, used for programming, then it's probably best left being called a programming language.

I rest my case.

jossylala wrote:
hardly c programmers using it

Maybe because they're using C?
Jamestf347
jossylala wrote:

Never I think c++ will be here for as long as computers are. How long has C been here? Java? VB? ect?
Stubru Freak
You got me interested. What would you call it?
umeshtangnu
jossylala wrote:

working on c++ for last 3 years does that count
Faraz
I don't get you. Of course it's a programming language, and widely used one.
jossylala
@stubru freak, have not thought of a name yet but maybe your suggestion could be handy on this...@ all,i just wanted to raise something up,please sont get annoyed.
Faraz
jossylala wrote:
@stubru freak, have not thought of a name yet but maybe your suggestion could be handy on this...@ all,i just wanted to raise something up,please sont get annoyed.

I don't think anyone is getting annoyed. =) I think everyone just wants to know what you would call it instead.
Fire Boar
Well, let's call it a... "legacy utility development base". How about that for a name? Wink
umeshtangnu
Fire Boar wrote:
Well, let's call it a... "legacy utility development base". How about that for a name? Wink

what is a legacy utility
Star Wars Fanatic
jossylala wrote:

I read this and laughed for about five minutes, no offense jossylala.
But not calling C++ a programming language would be like not calling an elephant an animal.

C++ is still one of the most widely used programming languages out there. Despite the fact that it's "old".

We still call a Model T a car don't we? Even if no one ever used C++, it would still be called a programming language.
Fire Boar
umeshtangnu wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:

what is a legacy utility

... it ceases to be witty when you have to explain. Nevertheless... it's supposed to be read "Legacy (utility development base)". Utility development base = programming language. Legacy = old. Hence, this is synonymous to calling it an "old programming language".
jossylala
fire boar i like that,it seems to be the perfect name for that language....

@star war,i know its still a programming language,but i just wanted a little twist of its name as fire boar just did and also to have a little chit-chat(on programming with no programming fun makes a programmer go wack!)
Jamestf347
Why don't you just keep ... c++ XD, all it is, is an updated version of the language of C#.
Star Wars Fanatic
Jamestf347 wrote:
Why don't you just keep ... c++ XD, all it is, is an updated version of the language of C#.

Uh, no, C++ is built off of C, not C#.
Marcuzzo
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
Jamestf347 wrote:

Uh, no, C++ is built off of C, not C#.

Yep,

the language C was developed by Bell labs quite a while ago.
C++ is an extention to the C language
and C# is the .NET version developed by MS.
unlike C or C++, C# gets compiled into Bytecode (like java) instead of machine language.

a C# .exe needs the .net runtime(framework) to run, C and C++ don't
Jamestf347
i meant C :S but at the same time... What would be the point in "changing" the name.. keep c++ and get over it, more languages will come out in the future. You could even create your own if you had the time.