FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

When does a php script become freeware or abandonware?

Zackster
I was wondering when do php scripts or packages become abandonware? Like fakezilla... Its website has gone down thus no support or a place to buy it...

So has it become abandonware?
Fire Boar
Same as any other kind of IP. Dropping support is one of the best reasons to use open source applications, and a boon of PHP is that by nature it is open source (though you can obfuscate it). Though to be honest? Fakezilla in particular isn't worth spending anything on, nor are any of these fake click services. It's just a fraud, you'll lose loads of bandwidth and money.
Zackster
Fakezilla was actually an example, and thanks for your answer.

And support isn't a problem I learn't most of my PHP skills from debugging open source php scripts and freeware ones as well, I just wanted to know when is it abandonware....
rvec
when there is nobody left to defend the program's rights. That's the points when you can start using it without the risk of getting sued.

You can of course call something abandonware when the project has been abandoned, but then the name doesn't have anything to do with legal things, but with support things.