FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

No jobs for fresh techies

Cddhesh
Time has come again where there are almost no jobs for freshers passing out form engineering colleges specially from Computer Engineering and related streams. Most of the companies have freeze down their recruitments keeping freshers jobless. Situation is becoming bad in India. I hear my junior friends telling me that no companies are coming for campus placements. Some companies have canceled their offers with them and most of them have postponed joining date by 6-12 months.
Some friends are in real trouble as they will be completing their degree with loan to be paid on their head.Some are regretting because they joined engineering. their friends who had joined Hotel management, Air hostesses institutes are in good job now.

Some came to me asking me what they should do now. I was in big trouble about what to tell them.
For time being i told them to have faith and start analyzing world, start learning new things , become expert in their fields by answering certification exams, those who can afford may go for higher education etc etc.What else i could have told them? Some are still asking me what they can do.
I really dint get what to tell them. Any suggestion from all you guys?
leontius
Suggestions from a person more inexperienced than you:

* join open source project(s) to build up portfolio and experience
* do freelance jobs from websites like elance.com or scriptlance.com while waiting for a full-time job
* make a good website and hope to rake a few bucks from ads
* create a high-tech internet startup (minimal capital requirements) and sell it to google/microsoft/yahoo etc (easier said than done Very Happy)
deanhills
leontius wrote:
Suggestions from a person more inexperienced than you:

* join open source project(s) to build up portfolio and experience
* do freelance jobs from websites like elance.com or scriptlance.com while waiting for a full-time job
* make a good website and hope to rake a few bucks from ads
* create a high-tech internet startup (minimal capital requirements) and sell it to google/microsoft/yahoo etc (easier said than done Very Happy)

That is so true! Go to one of those special needs places and offer to build a Website for them for free! Once you are into the project, it will make you feel very good as well, both from providing a service of value, and the service itself. When you feel good about yourself, that is usually when other offers will come your way too! Smile
gcaughill
Cddhesh wrote:
Time has come again where there are almost no jobs for freshers passing out form engineering colleges specially from Computer Engineering and related streams. Most of the companies have freeze down their recruitments keeping freshers jobless. Situation is becoming bad in India. I hear my junior friends telling me that no companies are coming for campus placements. Some companies have canceled their offers with them and most of them have postponed joining date by 6-12 months.
Some friends are in real trouble as they will be completing their degree with loan to be paid on their head.Some are regretting because they joined engineering. their friends who had joined Hotel management, Air hostesses institutes are in good job now.

Some came to me asking me what they should do now. I was in big trouble about what to tell them.
For time being i told them to have faith and start analyzing world, start learning new things , become expert in their fields by answering certification exams, those who can afford may go for higher education etc etc.What else i could have told them? Some are still asking me what they can do.
I really dint get what to tell them. Any suggestion from all you guys?

This problem is not just local to India, it is global recession.

In this case, being the best in your field or knowing people who have jobs (being on the inside) are the best way to get a job.

What skills make you special that no one else has?

What are you really good at?

Who do you know that already works at a place you want to work at? Can they keep you posted on future jobs there?

etc etc