FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone Have Discus fish ?

dude_xyx
I wonder how many member here who keep fish has discus fish ? They are bit hard to keep and have pay lot of attention but they worth all the trouble you go through.

Crinoid
Beauties! Congratulations.
I tried to keep them, failed. Marine tank is easier Laughing
dude_xyx
lol they are not my fish. belong to a guy in Finland. He had imported them from brazil. and the tank is 7 feet I think. I think something must had gone wrong if you failed. if u had baby discus did you do water changes daily ?
corycaly
Those fishes are beautiful but I prefer my beta splendens and my goldfishes. Call me crazy but I love them lol
bonestorm74
I don't have them but they look pretty awesome.
Honolulu
Nice fish tank there, how much time per week do u need to pay attention to it?
jabce85
that's gotta be a huge tank, discus really need a lot of water.. especially for that many. really cool fish though!
dude_xyx
It says 10 gallons per fish. But you can do with less if you can do bigger water changes everyday. If you want your Discus to grow fast/Bigger and healthy than you have to do at least 30%-40% water changes per everyday.
mycologicalintent
I love those beauties!

I'm planning on getting a gaggle of African chichilids, just because I have so much coral and their the only one's that will take the salinity change (this coral was my fathers, was in fishtanks in my living room since I was born).
dude_xyx
How big is your Tank mycologicalintent ? You can make a reef tank which would be more beautiful but maintaining a reef tank is an expensive task. There are lot of African chichilids who are very colorful but usually these guys are aggressive.

Here's nice African chichilids tank which I found on net

michaeljscott93
Great shot! Looks like a long exposure or stacking.

Unless you have a lot of the same fish?
pmehta51
No, I don’t have them. I don’t even know what they look like.
Are those a picture of the fish you are talking about? Wow they are nice…yes I would agree with you that they are worth for more money. they are very pretty fishes. But I don’t have them.
dude_xyx
pmehta51 wrote:
No, I don’t have them. I don’t even know what they look like.
Are those a picture of the fish you are talking about? Wow they are nice…yes I would agree with you that they are worth for more money. they are very pretty fishes. But I don’t have them.

Discus fish are those in first photo. Yeah you have to spend a bit more for these fish and for everything they need like their food. But these guys are intelligent and very beautiful. Those Discus fish in that photo are wild caught dicus. owner had imported them from Brazil though a fish importer. There are hybrid types which look soo beautiful too.
Chinmoy
nope, thing looks quite nice..but ive heared its hard to manage them. Very delicate are'nt they?
dude_xyx
Yes they are Very delicate. They need plenty of attention and time. small once need daily water changes and also high quality food. Unless they won't grow properly. But if you do everything right then they grow faster than most of other fish types though they take like 2 years to reach adulthood. These Discus in the picture are all adults.
jwellsy
Are Cyclids freshwater fish? I see a sea-shell in the Cyclid tank. I thought that was a no-no.
Rosabelle
Wow! Those are beautiful. =D If I tried to have some, though, I'd end up killing them. I can't even manage goldfish without them dying within a day or two. I swear I'm not doing anything, but I guess I am. Dx
dude_xyx
jwellsy wrote:
Are Cyclids freshwater fish? I see a sea-shell in the Cyclid tank. I thought that was a no-no.

Well They are not But they like all kind of stones and hiding places so some people like to make reef like tanks with Cichlids fish because their close resembles to reef fish.

Rosabelle wrote:
Wow! Those are beautiful. =D If I tried to have some, though, I'd end up killing them. I can't even manage goldfish without them dying within a day or two. I swear I'm not doing anything, but I guess I am. Dx

Well You have to cover all basis before start keeping Discus fish. Otherwise it ends up with a disaster. It happened to me twice. Its same for gold fish too though gold fish are easy to keep. Its better read others experience online and always make sure you know about the fish you are going to buy.

Here's a blog about gold fish ( Not Mine ) http://goldfish-kiki.blogspot.com/
dude_xyx
Here's my baby discus fish. They are like 6-8 months old and grawing. They eat like bigs and become aggressive in meal times.

Crazy_Canuck
I had Discus a long time ago. They were beautiful. I've had angels too. While I loved my tanks, they became way too expensive to maintain. So I quit. I do miss them though. The angels would watch the cat when he laid on top of the tank. I wish I could have gotten a picture of it.
dude_xyx
Yeah I can understand you. My first bunch of Discus had died suddenly and missed them badly. They are great kind of fish and fun to keep. Its expensive and need more attention than any other type of fish. Here's one of my Discus. I think he is a Snake skin blue.