FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Trivial ftp server in Vista

iyepes
Hi, I have used solarwinds trivial ftp server to make backup of router IOS, however since I have my Vista laptop, I have not been able to make trivial ftp server to work.

I know the issue is related to disk permissions, and the way vista handles them. Does anyone know a good link about the way vista sets disk permissions?, I am also having hard time sharing folders between my XP PC and my Vista laptop, I only had it working in Vista - XP direction, I have not been able to do it in te opposite direction.

Again I know it is due to my lack of knowledge about Vista permissions way.
sheedatali
iyepes wrote:
Hi, I have used solarwinds trivial ftp server to make backup of router IOS, however since I have my Vista laptop, I have not been able to make trivial ftp server to work.

I know the issue is related to disk permissions, and the way vista handles them. Does anyone know a good link about the way vista sets disk permissions?, I am also having hard time sharing folders between my XP PC and my Vista laptop, I only had it working in Vista - XP direction, I have not been able to do it in te opposite direction.

Again I know it is due to my lack of knowledge about Vista permissions way.

You mean filesystem permissions?

Also I think you are lost between share permissions and Filesystem permissions.... You need to enable both to have desired effect. All of this is pretty much straight forward under share and security section when you right click on your folder....
iyepes
I'm talking about filesystem permission. You need to enable some filesystem permissions to allow trivial ftp server to work, and you also need to change something in them to allow an external user to get the files you've already shared through File sharing. I'm talking about sharing files to a specific user, in a non-domain enviroment, not making public folders.

Believe me, it's not about telling me where the tab is, I already know that. I need a document to understand Vista permissions management, which is different from XP, to solve the issue.
sheedatali
iyepes wrote:
I'm talking about filesystem permission. You need to enable some filesystem permissions to allow trivial ftp server to work, and you also need to change something in them to allow an external user to get the files you've already shared through File sharing. I'm talking about sharing files to a specific user, in a non-domain enviroment, not making public folders.

Believe me, it's not about telling me where the tab is, I already know that. I need a document to understand Vista permissions management, which is different from XP, to solve the issue.

Ok in that case may be someone else can advise you on this. I use Vista but for gaming only, so I think someone more proficient with vista security model will be much better on giving you advice.