FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Away System

[FuN]goku
I'm not sure if this has been suggested before.. I did a quick search and didn't find much.

Anyways uh.. Maybe an away system should be implemented in the forum if someone is going to be going away for an extended period of time. I know over my christmas break i hopped on a few times, but I was busy spending time with my family and stuff. And when i came back my points were at ~ -9.

So what you should do is have a form that users can fill out, and if they're going to be gone for say... 3 weeks or longer, they should fill out this form, explain WHY they're not going to be avaliable, and approxamately how long they're going to be gone etc, and then a mod would look over it, and then either deny or approve it. And if it's approved, then it should freeze their points, and have it on a sort of timer, so if like.. they don't start posting by the time they SAID they'd be back, then start deducting points. However, if it's disapproved, the mod should give the person a valid reasy a to why it was rejected, and have them read over the "Away" rules again.

Now yes, i realise it could be a potential issue, if people try to abuse it, but it would be kinda nice to have this if someone is on vacation and doesn't have time/have accces to a computer during that time.
But i think it would be kind of obvious if users are abusing it. Mostly if they were using it frequently, and for extended periods of time. But if it has to be Mod/Admin approved, it probably wouldn't be as bad as an automated system. And if it deducts points after the estimated time away, it's probably not as big of a problem either.

Anyways thats just my thoughts. Smile Just an idea i had which i thought might be worth addressing.

-Steve
deanhills
[FuN]goku wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been suggested before.. I did a quick search and didn't find much.

Anyways uh.. Maybe an away system should be implemented in the forum if someone is going to be going away for an extended period of time. I know over my christmas break i hopped on a few times, but I was busy spending time with my family and stuff. And when i came back my points were at ~ -9.

So what you should do is have a form that users can fill out, and if they're going to be gone for say... 3 weeks or longer, they should fill out this form, explain WHY they're not going to be avaliable, and approxamately how long they're going to be gone etc, and then a mod would look over it, and then either deny or approve it. And if it's approved, then it should freeze their points, and have it on a sort of timer, so if like.. they don't start posting by the time they SAID they'd be back, then start deducting points. However, if it's disapproved, the mod should give the person a valid reasy a to why it was rejected, and have them read over the "Away" rules again.

Now yes, i realise it could be a potential issue, if people try to abuse it, but it would be kinda nice to have this if someone is on vacation and doesn't have time/have accces to a computer during that time.
But i think it would be kind of obvious if users are abusing it. Mostly if they were using it frequently, and for extended periods of time. But if it has to be Mod/Admin approved, it probably wouldn't be as bad as an automated system. And if it deducts points after the estimated time away, it's probably not as big of a problem either.

Anyways thats just my thoughts. Smile Just an idea i had which i thought might be worth addressing.

-Steve

Have a feeling that perhaps the points have been specifically sorted out to make an allowance for people who are away for a while. You really have to be away for a very looooong time to get into the minus range. Much longer than a normal holiday could ever be, which I put at 3 weeks or a little more max. I have been away for periods of time too, and all you do is to ensure you are at 45 points when you leave, and when you return to work a little harder with the posts to up the points. No big deal. How many posts do it take to get to the three weeks holiday deduction anyway?

To fill in forms will take up unnecessary space, not to mention extra load on the moderators who are doing all of this in their free time. Change is good, but maybe this kind of change is not really necessary and already taken care off in the design of the points?
truespeed
45 points = 45 days = 6 weeks.
Ghost Rider103
I think it's a great idea, and it doesn't sound like it would be too hard to implement, since it is pretty close to being the same as the "Report" button.

I know it's hard to get down in the negatives if your at 45 points. However, I have been -100 points. There was a time where I was gone for months, this was because I was moving states, and the place I was moving to was almost 2,000 miles away from my current home at that present time. So it took me a while, going back and fourth to states to see how I liked it, and then looking for a house. Then I ha to move ALL my stuff to my new place, which took a LOOOONG time. Plus we had to fix up our new place to how we wanted it (new appliances, carpet, etc.). Then we had to get internet connection, etc.

So it may not be any use to some of you, however some people do need it for business trips that take a long time, vacations, etc. Also keep in mind users are not always at 45 points when they are home. So they could be at 20 points, then go on vacation, and then they are in the negative.

I know the staff is pretty lean on letting us keep our hosting when we are in the negatives, but honestly they should be more strict, and then implement the away system. It would just be more professional.

This also opens new doors to a new rank/staff position. AwaySystem Admin/Mod or some other cool name could be made up for the staff rank.

Might be a good idea to look into this though, even though I probably would not use it too often since I don't go to places for long a long period at a time. I do sometimes though, and I cannot afford to have my hosting account suspended, as that is my main source of income.
rvec
I don't know about other mods/admins, but I don't get a lot of requests. The ones I get are just a simple pm, which I copy and paste in the AWIT system. Then when the user gets back and is -200 (extreme case as example) he/she sends another pm, which I forward to an admin and then the admin resets the points to 0.

If this would happen weekly or even monthly I'd agree, but since I got <5 of those pms since I became a mod I don't think we need this.
ocalhoun
The current system works okay, but it causes people who don't know about it to worry, and it would be more professional to have real rules and guidelines in place.

My idea about it:

In the daily script that resets the points change:
Code:

$user_points = 45;

to:
Code:

IF(($user_posts / 100) < 45){
   $user_points = 45}
Else{
   $user_points = $user_posts / 100}

(change the 100 figure to whatever you think would work best. In this example, users would begin earning more away time at 450 posts, and for each 100 posts above that, they'd earn an extra day. It may be more fair, though it would use more complicated math, to start earlier, and give more days earlier, then gradually lessen the benefit of more posts. For example, I may have ten times the amount of posts as a newer, but active member, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I should be able to be gone ten times as long... Perhaps someone with 4000 posts would have a limit of 200 points, and someone with 400 posts would have a limit of 100...)
(In other words, make the point limit depend on the total number of posts, but keep the limit for newer users at 45.)
That has about the same effect as today's unwritten rule, but now it is a sure thing, and easier to find out about. Instead of older users being able to be deeper in the negative, older users just have to go further to get in the negative.
mathiaus
rvec wrote:
I don't know about other mods/admins, but I don't get a lot of requests. The ones I get are just a simple pm, which I copy and paste in the AWIT system. Then when the user gets back and is -200 (extreme case as example) he/she sends another pm, which I forward to an admin and then the admin resets the points to 0.

If this would happen weekly or even monthly I'd agree, but since I got <5 of those pms since I became a mod I don't think we need this.

Exact same situation and therefore opinion from me!