FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Power management refuses to kick in

Ghengis
I have several Vista laptops, and on all of them I periodically find that the power cord has slipped out and the battery has run down to 7-10%, until a "critical power" shutdown was forced. Most of the time, there's nothing special running (not Media Player or something else that I expect to disable the screen saver), so I'm at a bit of a loss. My power settings are configured to put the laptop to sleep after it's idle for 20 minutes, but this clearly isn't happening. Is there any easy way to tell what programs are keeping the power management from kicking in?
steve076
This seems to be quite a common problem in Vista and is usually due to media sharing. Check out this for details of Power Management not Working on Windows Vista.
Ghengis
That's a great idea -- I'll have to try it! Actually, on all my laptops, I don't want media sharing turned on at all. My laptops don't generally have any media on them in the first place... I have an old desktop upstairs with all my music, movies, and TV shows on it, and stream from there. Anyway, I think you can switch it off in Network and Sharing Center, among others.
Flakky
In your configuration -> networkcenter you can change the behaviour of media sharing. It's below somewhere Smile
Ghengis
It's *mostly* fixed now. One PC stays on much less frequently (but still occasionally) and another is more or less fixed. There's one that had infrequent problems where media sharing was already off -- still not sure about that one. It would be nice if there were an easy way to see which apps are calling the Platform SDK routine that says "I'm awake; don't sleep!" (whose name escapes me) but it's better enough that I probably won't bother to investigate more at this point.