FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


ultimate school filter challenge





thadnation
I know that people should do their best in school, and that there's a reason for all the blocks and censorship online, but sometimes I finish early and want to play a game or two. I like to listen to music while i do my math. so I've spent awhile trying to get past the filters, but I'm still unsuccessful. Here's what I've found, maybe someone can help?:

My school, as of last year, is running 8e6

Pinging does not work, as is to be expected, and while I can ping a website, I canot get a response.

As usual, all typical proxies are blocked

8e6 recognizes proxy behavior, so none of the proxies I setup will work

there appears to be some sort of keyword blocker in addition to this thing's massive blacklist

I tried using a webtop, but the forbidden websites are still blocked

the task manager is disabled and attempting to launch it from the command prompt doesn't work, can anyone suggest a utility I can run off a USB drive?

all other typical areas such as the control panel, run, cmd, etc. are disabled, and yes I realize that command.com works

tor cannot connect

any site that you do get to will be blocked within about 48 hours

gpass, ultrasurf, and freegate could not connect

unauthorized sites containing https:\\ are unable to load

that about covers it. if someone could suggest a client that's compatible with remote desktop, it may work. i don't want to use peacefire's circumventor because videos do not load properly with cgi-scripts.

im going to try putty tomorrow, but i don't know what ports are open. all i want to do is kill some free time, is that such a problem? if anyone can help, i'd really appreciate it.
ocalhoun
You do realize, right, that this is hacking?
The unauthorized use of someone else's network, or the attempt to do so...
It is against both the law and Frihost rules.
thadnation
ocalhoun wrote:
You do realize, right, that this is hacking?
The unauthorized use of someone else's network, or the attempt to do so...
It is against both the law and Frihost rules.


I thought hacking required malicious intent? I am doing no harm whatsoever to the network. Besides, most things (like miniclip or youtube) are allowed on other sutdents' accounts, but because of some unexplainable coincidence I can't. So all I really want are the same priveleges everyone else already has.
ocalhoun
thadnation wrote:
So all I really want are the same priveleges everyone else already has.

In that case, the thing to do would be to contact the network admin there, and ask for the same privileges.

But yes, hacking does not require malicious intent, many people do it just for fun or for bragging rights, but it is no less illegal because of that.
TomS
thadnation wrote:
Besides, most things (like miniclip or youtube) are allowed on other sutdents' accounts, but because of some unexplainable coincidence I can't. So all I really want are the same priveleges everyone else already has.


LOL? Maybe they have a reason, that they allow everyone to visit youtube etc, except for you?
As ocalhoun wrote: Go and ask for those provileges and stop trying to get around this software. It is illegal, as ocahoun already said, as well.
thadnation
no, hacking is not illegal. ever heard of a jail broken iPhone? using undocumented sdk libraries?

more importantly, I've read our student handbook, and while it's considered against policy based on precedent, there is no actual clause that strictly prohibits the evasion of the school internet filter. The one area that it may be under is

vandalism
6.1. Vandalism is defined as any MALICIOUS attempt to modify, damage or destroy data, software, operating systems, or equipment, or intentionally disrupt the system.

It looks lousy, but as a malicious attempt is required, i think i'm within my boundaries. besides, there is one thing that makes this, imho a gray area.

Security
4.1. ...If you feel you can identify a problem on the network, you must notify a system administrator, technician, lab assistant, or your teacher...

How can one possibly discover an issue without investigating? Once i've had my fun I'm perfectly happy to report. you're obviously not a coder/programmer/designer, so maybe to you i seem like a babbling script-kiddy. But to those who are creative people who code, then they can understand the satisfaction of breaking down tech barriers. but i digress.

Much of the filter incidents are related to the following clause:

Network resources
5.4. The district will filter web sites that contain obscene material, advocate violence and other illegal acts, interfere with the educational objectives of the school, or make excessive demands on network resources

Let me first point out that while they mention "educational objectives" numerous times, I can't find where it actually states what those objectives are.

Moving on, I'm a Christian, specifically a Methodist. I have no wish to seek out obscene material. Youtube contains lots of questionable content and plenty of videos with swearing, often on partner videos and it's allowed, whereas sites like viddler.com, which are almost completely clean, are blocked. My music, stored on sites such as adrive, windows live skydrive, and accessed via winamp remote, does not in any way advocate violence. Okay, so maybe Pennywise is a bit strong, but if they can play "Soilja boy" at dances and play songs with the f word barely concealed at sports events, I think I can listen to "as long as we can" privately while doing math.

in addition, mp3s do not place much of a tole on their 10mbps network that some random students can access hulu with. you wanna call someone on excessive use? Blame the students and TEACHERS who stream media across the network, not my 5meg songs, or 15 meg videos.

last, but not necessarily least, I am harming no one. music (as has been proven) helps people (like me) study, and drowning out the ambient noise of school helps. i see no harm in this. if it's a crime, who's the victim? the school? I already explained my comparatively low bandwidth usage. the other students? they all have iPods and some people ( protection is faulty and random) are home free. I could complain about them, but im not a mean person. and I could ask for permission to use youtube, but sys admins don't care. I'm just looking for a little fun, nirvana, and freedom.

Now that I have (mostly) cleared up the legalities, can somebody help me?

[/u]
misterXY
thadnation wrote:
no, hacking is not illegal. ever heard of a jail broken iPhone? using undocumented sdk libraries?

more importantly, I've read our student handbook, and while it's considered against policy based on precedent, there is no actual clause that strictly prohibits the evasion of the school internet filter. The one area that it may be under is

vandalism
6.1. Vandalism is defined as any MALICIOUS attempt to modify, damage or destroy data, software, operating systems, or equipment, or intentionally disrupt the system.

It looks lousy, but as a malicious attempt is required, i think i'm within my boundaries. besides, there is one thing that makes this, imho a gray area.

Security
4.1. ...If you feel you can identify a problem on the network, you must notify a system administrator, technician, lab assistant, or your teacher...

How can one possibly discover an issue without investigating? Once i've had my fun I'm perfectly happy to report. you're obviously not a coder/programmer/designer, so maybe to you i seem like a babbling script-kiddy. But to those who are creative people who code, then they can understand the satisfaction of breaking down tech barriers. but i digress.

Much of the filter incidents are related to the following clause:

Network resources
5.4. The district will filter web sites that contain obscene material, advocate violence and other illegal acts, interfere with the educational objectives of the school, or make excessive demands on network resources

Let me first point out that while they mention "educational objectives" numerous times, I can't find where it actually states what those objectives are.

Moving on, I'm a Christian, specifically a Methodist. I have no wish to seek out obscene material. Youtube contains lots of questionable content and plenty of videos with swearing, often on partner videos and it's allowed, whereas sites like viddler.com, which are almost completely clean, are blocked. My music, stored on sites such as adrive, windows live skydrive, and accessed via winamp remote, does not in any way advocate violence. Okay, so maybe Pennywise is a bit strong, but if they can play "Soilja boy" at dances and play songs with the f word barely concealed at sports events, I think I can listen to "as long as we can" privately while doing math.

in addition, mp3s do not place much of a tole on their 10mbps network that some random students can access hulu with. you wanna call someone on excessive use? Blame the students and TEACHERS who stream media across the network, not my 5meg songs, or 15 meg videos.

last, but not necessarily least, I am harming no one. music (as has been proven) helps people (like me) study, and drowning out the ambient noise of school helps. i see no harm in this. if it's a crime, who's the victim? the school? I already explained my comparatively low bandwidth usage. the other students? they all have iPods and some people ( protection is faulty and random) are home free. I could complain about them, but im not a mean person. and I could ask for permission to use youtube, but sys admins don't care. I'm just looking for a little fun, nirvana, and freedom.

Now that I have (mostly) cleared up the legalities, can somebody help me?

[/u]

Great post, now only if more people knew about this. Hacking has gotten a bad reputation, most hacking gets online paedophiles, etc... Now tracking downloaders is stupid, l'd rather see action for crimes against people, not against ones and zeros. Damn governments..

Also, side note try online proxys through searching proxy's under google groups, found many online ones that allow me to use my gmail, facebook, and sometimes work with messenger.
Hope it works out. l'm with you brother. twitter me : steviewonder89 if you want any help since frihost no longer works due to ftp, they think it's going too cause some problems or something. Also, http://portableapps.com/ can be you're friend Smile FF 3.2 Beta 2 with some sweet extensions.
TomS
I don't get the thing with the iPhone, but SDK are built to be used. This is the new change in language. Everything used to to do someting, it was not invented for is called "hacking".
If you plug a carbattery into your notebook, it's hacking (you hacked the battery lol). If you remove the securities that make your moped slower, that's hacking. You hacked your engine. If you use a hedge trimmer to cut thin metal sticks or thick ropes, that's hacking.
Hacking by definition is illegal. If you send some bad requests that enable you to do whatever you want on a platform you don't own, because it has a buggy software running, that enbables you to send thoese commands, it's also a "use" the software was not created for. But it'S illegal.

If you try to manipulate your school filter software, in order to get more privileges, it's also hacking and also illegal. If you try to tunnel the system, that's not hacking. But it's against the school rules (weill while your's are based on precedents, you might give it a try).

Quote:
How can one possibly discover an issue without investigating? Once i've had my fun I'm perfectly happy to report. you're obviously not a coder/programmer/designer, so maybe to you i seem like a babbling script-kiddy. But to those who are creative people who code, then they can understand the satisfaction of breaking down tech barriers. but i digress.


It is an issue, that you can't visit certain websites, while others can. So why don't you talk it over with your administrator?
I know the satisfaction, you refer to, but why don't you try this at home. Get a cheap PC, set up a server and hack it all night long.
If you accidently brake soemthing in this system at your school while trying to get more rights, that you probably would have gotten, if you talked to the person in charge, then you might get serious problems.

One thing in general: I understand you have freetime at school, you wanna have some fun, disattraction, listen to your music, which is perfectly fine. These are all good reasons to get more rights on the school internet. I would really talk about it first.
Give it a try. This "how to get around the fence" sounds more like self-rightiousness. "I don't get what I want, so I'm getting it myself". Like (drastic example, maybe it fit's nit perfectly, but maybe you get my point) you walk into a restaurant and there is only one table free. But this table is reserved for some other guy. So instead of asking to sit next to the guy, you just sit there and disturb the other guy, while you try to get enough space of the table to eat kingly, because you think you have the right to get a seat in this restaurant, because every one else has already one.
ocalhoun
thadnation wrote:

Much of the filter incidents are related to the following clause:

Network resources
5.4. The district will filter web sites that contain obscene material, advocate violence and other illegal acts, interfere with the educational objectives of the school, or make excessive demands on network resources

You could probably be found to be in violation of this part.
Listening to music or playing games could easily be called making excessive use of network bandwidth, and by 'distracting you' they can be construed to be 'interfering with the educational objectives,' even if you're already finished with your work. (They can probably claim you should be spending the time studying, and unless you score 100% on every test, they'll be able to use that argument.)

I doubt you can have real legal trouble with this, at least not on the first infraction, but they could justifiably ban you from their network completely, and then get you in worse trouble if you tried to continue using it anyway.
thadnation
TomS wrote:
I don't get the thing with the iPhone, but SDK are built to be used. This is the new change in language. Everything used to to do someting, it was not invented for is called "hacking".
If you plug a carbattery into your notebook, it's hacking (you hacked the battery lol). If you remove the securities that make your moped slower, that's hacking. You hacked your engine. If you use a hedge trimmer to cut thin metal sticks or thick ropes, that's hacking.
Hacking by definition is illegal. If you send some bad requests that enable you to do whatever you want on a platform you don't own, because it has a buggy software running, that enbables you to send thoese commands, it's also a "use" the software was not created for. But it'S illegal.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how_to/4297571.html
is this illegal?
By your logic, using a car battery for a laptop, cutting rope with a hedge trimmer and over-clocking your CPU are all illegal. Seriously? There are warnings on your equipment that suggest you only use products for their intended purposes; however, this voids your warranty, not the law. IF you can prove that by using lotion to lubricate my model car's wheels, or by writing notes on a cardboard box instead of notecards to study, or any of your examples are illegal, I'll concede.



Quote:
It is an issue, that you can't visit certain websites, while others can. So why don't you talk it over with your administrator?


I don't because they would use the "you don't need so why should I go out of my way to give it to you?" excuse.

Quote:
f you try to manipulate your school filter software, in order to get more privileges, it's also hacking and also illegal. If you try to tunnel the system, that's not hacking. But it's against the school rules (weill while your's are based on precedents, you might give it a try).


um, tunneling is kinda what proxies, circumventors, Gpass, tor, utrasurf, and they other things i use do. i have given it a try, and i asked for assistance. and by attempting to disable the blcoks with a 3rd party task manager, I am using everything according to its intended purpose, so that's not hacking, if I find one.

Quote:
I know the satisfaction, you refer to, but why don't you try this at home. Get a cheap PC, set up a server and hack it all night long.
If you accidently brake soemthing in this system at your school while trying to get more rights, that you probably would have gotten, if you talked to the person in charge, then you might get serious problems.


simple: i have no money, and i can't get a job until wrestling season ends, thanks to our hellishly long practices.

Quote:
One thing in general: I understand you have freetime at school, you wanna have some fun, disattraction, listen to your music, which is perfectly fine. These are all good reasons to get more rights on the school internet. I would really talk about it first.
Give it a try. This "how to get around the fence" sounds more like self-rightiousness. "I don't get what I want, so I'm getting it myself". Like (drastic example, maybe it fit's nit perfectly, but maybe you get my point) you walk into a restaurant and there is only one table free. But this table is reserved for some other guy. So instead of asking to sit next to the guy, you just sit there and disturb the other guy, while you try to get enough space of the table to eat kingly, because you think you have the right to get a seat in this restaurant, because every one else has already one.


first of all, in your example, you said there was a free table, and then you said i would be disturbing someone who is not present, and who's this other guy? second, your example deals with availability of resources, when this is not the case. bandwidth is not "put aside" for anyone, so I'm not sure what you're trying to point out.[/code]
ocalhoun
thadnation wrote:
TomS wrote:
I don't get the thing with the iPhone, but SDK are built to be used. This is the new change in language. Everything used to to do someting, it was not invented for is called "hacking".
If you plug a carbattery into your notebook, it's hacking (you hacked the battery lol). If you remove the securities that make your moped slower, that's hacking. You hacked your engine. If you use a hedge trimmer to cut thin metal sticks or thick ropes, that's hacking.
Hacking by definition is illegal. If you send some bad requests that enable you to do whatever you want on a platform you don't own, because it has a buggy software running, that enbables you to send thoese commands, it's also a "use" the software was not created for. But it'S illegal.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how_to/4297571.html
is this illegal?
By your logic, using a car battery for a laptop, cutting rope with a hedge trimmer and over-clocking your CPU are all illegal. Seriously? There are warnings on your equipment that suggest you only use products for their intended purposes; however, this voids your warranty, not the law. IF you can prove that by using lotion to lubricate my model car's wheels, or by writing notes on a cardboard box instead of notecards to study, or any of your examples are illegal, I'll concede.


Hacking your Ipod and hacking the school networks are entirely different things.
Hacking the Ipod is more properly known as 'cracking' and is perfectly legal as long as a) you own it and b) you won't violate patents or copyrights by trying to sell the hacked version. Modifying things you own to change their function is perfectly fine.
Getting past the school filter by hacking past it is illegal though. Simply by blocking those sites to you, they make it legally clear that you do not have permission to use their network to access those sites. If you find a way to do so anyway, then you have violated that rule, and can be held accountable for it.

You have 3 choices:
1) Find some other way to entertain yourself
2) Ask for permission to go to those sites
3) Proceed illegally to hack past the filter (and find out how to do so on a site where discussing it is not against the rules).
Ghost Rider103
Sorry to just barge in here, but you guys are getting way off topic to the thread starters question.

He just wants his question answered, I really do doubt he wants to sit here and discuss whether it is legal or not. He has already made his decision that it is somewhat "legal" so let him be. If he gets in trouble, then he gets in trouble.

If the staff truly thinks this is inappropriate, then let them close it. But I highly doubt Frihost will have any legal issues if the kid even gets in trouble, and even points a finger. They have much better things to do.

Lets let the staff decide whether to close it or not, and I think staying on topic to the original post would be more respectful to the thread starter.
Arnie
Quote:
no, hacking is not illegal. Blah-bah
TL;DR. It's not your network. Get over it, unless you want to get permabanned from the school computers altogether.

@Ghostrider: OP himself needs to learn respect.
thadnation
Quote:
Hacking your Ipod and hacking the school networks are entirely different things.
Hacking the Ipod is more properly known as 'cracking' and is perfectly legal as long as a) you own it and b) you won't violate patents or copyrights by trying to sell the hacked version. Modifying things you own to change their function is perfectly fine.


Just an FYI, you got it backwards
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

Quote:
Getting past the school filter by hacking past it is illegal though. Simply by blocking those sites to you, they make it legally clear that you do not have permission to use their network to access those sites. If you find a way to do so anyway, then you have violated that rule, and can be held accountable for it.


1. we have already established that i'm attempting to tunnel, not hack. the point is to evade or disable the filter, but in no way to I want to cause harm.

2. "They" do not "simply block" websites. the limits are based on the site in 8e6's database, however it can be customized by admins. For example, 8e6, by default, blocks UW Oshkosk (University of Wisconsin- Oshkosh) under the category "internet radio." However, when a teacher complained they unblocked it. There are some quirks, and unless there's a serious issue, what is and is not blocked is not really controlled by the admins.

3. I have already established that there is no obvious rule being broken; you aren't supposed to access blocked sites simply because they say so.

Quote:
You have 3 choices:
1) Find some other way to entertain yourself
2) Ask for permission to go to those sites
3) Proceed illegally to hack past the filter (and find out how to do so on a site where discussing it is not against the rules).


1) how? instead of listening to music while doing math i'm supposed to read and do math? play calculator games while doing math? Yeah, that's really going to help me focus the way that music would.
2) see previous post
3) see previous points and posts

As a final comment, what do you have against me, ocalhoun? The moderators have let this thing run for days. I've already explained I'm not violating any obvious rules. You keep coming back, and I've countered every point. Do you have something to contribute, or do you just like to argue? I enjoy arguing too, and I would love to discuss this or any other topic with you, but this really isn't the right thread for it.
ocalhoun
thadnation wrote:

Quote:
You have 3 choices:
1) Find some other way to entertain yourself


1) how? instead of listening to music while doing math i'm supposed to read and do math? play calculator games while doing math? Yeah, that's really going to help me focus the way that music would.


As a final comment, what do you have against me, ocalhoun? The moderators have let this thing run for days. I've already explained I'm not violating any obvious rules. You keep coming back, and I've countered every point. Do you have something to contribute, or do you just like to argue? I enjoy arguing too, and I would love to discuss this or any other topic with you, but this really isn't the right thread for it.

Bring your own CD to play in the drive the computer no doubt has? Perhaps if you're lucky, it has a DVD drive, and you could burn a single disk with plenty of songs on it. If they block all internet radio sites, its pretty obvious they don't want you listening to internet radio.
Wherever did you get the idea that I had something against you? I think you're trying very hard to justify to yourself doing something wrong, so I'm playing the role of surrogate conscience and voice of caution. If you don't want to heed my advice about it, by all means ignore it. (Though I do suspect that getting into the details of how to get around the filter would be against forum rules... but that may be an arguable point.)
mOrpheuS
-locked- before OPs actual query is addressed in any way.

If your network has certain limitations (and there must be reasons for them) - you must not access resources beyond there limits - that's the "law", by definition.
If you have a legitimate purpose for needing access to something beyond these limits - there are probably ways to get such privileges with due process.
If you bypass these limitations in the way that you propose - you are indeed breaking the "law".

In any case, please discuss it somewhere outside of FRIHost. (I'm pretty sure you'll manage to find other places better suited for such discussion).
Related topics
World of Warcraft
[OFFICIAL] How do you study?
F. Nietzsche
adscraze
proxies at the school place.
Rules to Make Your Site Annoying
State your Political Philosophy! (1000 FRIH$ to the best!)
Ultimate Frisbee
How do you say 'WWW'?
God's ultimate challenge
Philosophy Essays & Philosophy Texts
Do you think it is necessary to go to school and work?
The Ultimate Wnter Gig
Forced to choose between immoral and irrational?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Software

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.