FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dreamworks... really, is that how we do things now?

ocalhoun

Just one question, animators ... Since when do horses have eyebrows?
moyyom
Can't say I've ever seen someone complain about an animated horse having eyebrows... Wink
That's a valid point, why does the horse have eyebrows. Might want to take that one up with dreamworks... You could always make the connection(having watched the movie myself) that it was to display more emotions. It could also be to make children have a much higher connection with the animal, makes it more of a person than it would be without them.

It's funny how you picked up on such a small detail like that.
driftingfe3s
It helps in animation to have characters with eyebrows because having eyebrows helps with showing expressions on the character's face. If you look at other animation with animal characters a lot of them have eyebrows then they don't in actuality.

I assume this was dreamwork's reason for putting eyebrows on that horse.
Magicman
That's a very interesting observation. The eyebrows are clearly only there to accentuate the expression on the horses face. You have to admit that the expression would be no where near as effective without the eyebrows.
truespeed
Its something animators have always done.

ocalhoun
Magicman wrote:
That's a very interesting observation. The eyebrows are clearly only there to accentuate the expression on the horses face. You have to admit that the expression would be no where near as effective without the eyebrows.

To your ordinary person, yes, I suppose... But the little details they changed annoy me.
Most of the physiological ones I see understandable reasons for changing, though they're still annoying.
Most of the behavioral errors in that movie were unacceptable though.
deanhills
I like the eyebrows too Smile Especially on animated camel characters. Definitely adds to their already interesting personalities. Think that is what animation is about anyway. Make them come to life with human personality in them.

But yes, maybe the eyebrows don't really go well with horses. Depends on the images, and how fictitious they are. Perhaps eyebrows sometimes would be OK, sometimes not.
imera
Interesting.
I’ve noticed such small things other places too, but it is made for children so I can understand that they do it different. Things that we might think of strange or just not right is okay since kids don’t usually care.

Like with Shrek the third, where Donkey and Pus changes body, Donkey feels all exposed, don’t know why because his own body is more naked, at least pus had boots, belt and a hat.

There is also another animation, don’t know the name but at least the bulls have this cow jugs (I forgot the name, sorry), it’s about a farm, and the coyote that wants to eat the chickens.

Some things like eyebrows are just so we can feel more attacked to the characters, but sometimes things are just stupid, like the bulls.
But let me ask you, how many horses actually show expressions with their faces, easy enough so the ones that has never been around horses can understand it
ocalhoun
imera wrote:

But let me ask you, how many horses actually show expressions with their faces,

All of them, of course. Horses communicate primarily with body and face language, so they can be very expressive.
Humans can do much the same, though they usually default to spoken language. I have, on occasion, though had an entire conversation in body language and a few non-verbal sounds, to have the person I was talking to still understand complex things I was saying, and only realize later that I never said a word. You should try it some time, its great fun.
Quote:
easy enough so the ones that has never been around horses can understand it

Not so much... In fact, dreamworks got that expression a little wrong as well... open teeth means 'I want to bite you', but closed teeth means 'lets be friends' most of the time.

Yes, I realize I'm more than a little obsessive about this. I make no apologies about that though.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:

I really love this cartoon. The expression on the face of the horse is precious. Smile Is this part of a series, and can I find more of the same character on the Web?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

I really love this cartoon. The expression on the face of the horse is precious. Smile Is this part of a series, and can I find more of the same character on the Web?

Its a full-length move... ^.^
Titled "Spirit Stallion of the Cimmaron"
Not the kind you'd normally see me watching, except for one detail of course... I'm a sucker for any movie in which the main character is a horse.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Its a full-length move... ^.^ Titled "Spirit Stallion of the Cimmaron"
Not the kind you'd normally see me watching, except for one detail of course... I'm a sucker for any movie in which the main character is a horse.

Smile I must look for the movie. Looks like a good one ..., my kind of story and the music sounds good too!

http://www.dreamworks.com/spirit/main.html
hlavco
One of our old dogs had eyebrows. Seriously... they were a different color than the rest of the fur on her head. It was hilarious to watch, especially when we'd show her some food... they'd be twitching like crazy. (Bottom dog)
pmehta51
Wow..I actually like horses having eyebrow. I mean what is reason to make a big deal out of it. And infect it looks better and more expressive and more enjoying.
Helloo…..it is animated movie. Think about how great job they have done by creating these animated characters. I mean it is not easy, it really needs lots of hard work. To created such a movie it requires artistic view. And movie is for common people, so not everyone would understand so much of horse’s expression without eyebrow.
Ya may be someone who is all about horse would understand. But again this if for general public and it definitely adds more effect to that. Thus more people can enjoy it.
eday2010
ocalhoun wrote:
To your ordinary person, yes, I suppose... But the little details they changed annoy me.
Most of the physiological ones I see understandable reasons for changing, though they're still annoying.

Uh...you realize it's just a cartoon, right? It's not real, man. Horses don't talk, either. Why are you not complaining about animated horses that talk? Or about Mr. Ed? Why are you complaining at all? It's just a cartoon, and everyone -- well, almost everyone, I suppose -- realizes that they are not real. You do realize that, right?
SpellcasterDX
It's just like why can Donkey and Puss talk? Why can a cat sword fight? How can a dragon and a donkey have babies? They're all cartoons...
ocalhoun
eday2010 wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Uh...you realize it's just a cartoon, right? It's not real, man. Horses don't talk, either. Why are you not complaining about animated horses that talk? Or about Mr. Ed? Why are you complaining at all? It's just a cartoon, and everyone -- well, almost everyone, I suppose -- realizes that they are not real. You do realize that, right?

Actually, these horses don't talk, despite being the main stars of the movie, which was something I liked about it.

And yes, I realize that they aren't real, but they could have been made more realistic without harming the movie any.
PennyLane
I prefer this than all those stupid 3D animations.... I like oldschool cartoons, not those fancy 3D animation movies... Unfortunately 3D seems to be cheaper...
soljarag
do cars, tea cups, binoculars, ect. have eyes and mouths and can talk?

I think adding eyebrows to horses isn't that bad Smile
furtasacra
They put eyebrows on everything else, including fish, birds, and inanimate objects, so why not a horse? A horse's facial structure is not ideally suited for expressing emotions. The horse in that still is clearly pissed off... but a realistic depiction of an angry horse would frighten children. They lay their ears back and bare their teeth, and it's scary to see up close. They're so BIG!
traxion
PennyLane wrote:
I prefer this than all those stupid 3D animations.... I like oldschool cartoons, not those fancy 3D animation movies... Unfortunately 3D seems to be cheaper...

what

do you think that the movie wall-e was cheaper then a old-school movie? lol

way do people play the new video games? way do people buy a HD-TV?
they want quality and a new experience..

the old school stuff is fun but when u see what they can do with computers today.. wow

below a link of wall-e
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UblUO0LjPUg
Radar
One word - anthropomorphism.

Movies will tend to irk me more for plot holes and unrealistic character development, rather than artistic license with physical details.

Though I am impressed that you stopped and noticed that.

To all the people saying that it makes the horse more expressive, I agree. But there are also interesting ways around that. I remember seeing a making of for 'Ice Age', and there was a discussion about the fact that Manny, the mammoth character, didn't have his mouth visible - so everything emotive or expressive had to be shown using the eyes instead. Very interesting to stop and think about.
andysart380
now if he didnt have eyebrows how would you be able to read his emotions.... eh?
ocalhoun
andysart380 wrote:
now if he didnt have eyebrows how would you be able to read his emotions.... eh?

Well, the average person might not be able to, but believe me, I could.

This bit of strangeness is explainable and excusable though, for the purposes of making a movie for the intended audience.

There are other things in the movie though, which are inexcusable and simply show ignorance and lack of research:
-Assumption that the stallion is the 'leader' of a wild heard
-Several details of the opening birth scene
-Horses are shown drinking by licking up the water like a dog or a cat would
manlear
Lol wow.
manlear
ocalhoun wrote:
andysart380 wrote:

This bit of strangeness is explainable and excusable though, for the purposes of making a movie for the intended audience.

There are other things in the movie though, which are inexcusable and simply show ignorance and lack of research:

How do horses drink?
manlear
ocalhoun wrote:
andysart380 wrote:

How do horses drink? I always thought they drank like a dog or a cat.
ocalhoun
manlear wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
andysart380 wrote:

How do horses drink? I always thought they drank like a dog or a cat.

No doubt the misguided animator thought so too...
Horses drink the same way you would, if trying to drink from water on the ground without your hands: using their lips and suction.
manlear
Okay cool.