FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Where the heck do I start?

Zanofsu
It seems to me like there a million different ways to do the same thing, with a million different languages.

I know what I want to do. I have all the copy. I have all the graphics. I just can't seem to get it all together the way I want. I am using Dreamweaver CS3, which I find relatively easy, but I can't find anywhere that teaches me how to make it do what I want. I find little tidbits all over the place, like when I search for "<div> as target, or when I find something about iframe, but then I read that frames are passe, and not compatible with all browsers.

I want my header/banner to remain on the page, and the various buttons to change the content in the <div>. I have written the html for all of the links, but I can't seem to call them to the <div>. Do I really need to learn Ajax, JavaScript and PHP to accomplish this? Or is it xml?

My head hurts. I used to hand code about 14 years ago, straight HTML in BBEdit, tables, frames, etc. so I definitely get the basics.

Does anyone have a good site, or tutorial, or something that discusses how I might accomplish this navigation?

Thanks in advance.
rockacola
Lot of room for thoughts in your question... Cool

Quote:
...but then I read that frames are passe, and not compatible with all browsers.

frame and iframe are compaitable with all 'modern' browsers and you should be comforatable using them.

Quote:
I want my header/banner to remain on the page, and the various buttons to change the content in the <div>.... Do I really need to learn Ajax, JavaScript and PHP to accomplish this? Or is it xml?

Client side solution: frame/iframe (of your choice)
Server side solution: PHP
jylan
I would have to recommend that you don't use frames or iframes Zanofsu, because even if they're compatible with all the latest browsers no modern websites use them, they're a relic of past times Smile.

It sounds like you just need a bit of PHP, although plain HTML would do the trick. If you wanted to do it with plain html, just make a separate file for each page or link that you have, then copy the header and link code to the top of each file. That way you will get the same header content displaying at the the top.

If you wanted to use PHP you would still need to have a separate file for each page, but instead of duplicating the header code for every file you could just make a file called header.php with the link and header code in it, then use something like <?php include("header.php") ?> where you want the top part to display.

Both those methods require a page load when a link is clicked, if you wanted the content to change without a page load you would need to use AJAX. However there is no real reason to do that, it just complicates the matter and also messes up the browser history (can't use the back and forward buttons).

Anyway hope that explains what you want to know, if it doens't just ask Smile.
jsarnold
I would agree that using frames or iframes is definitely not advised. Not only are they increasingly incompatible with many of the ways in which people view websites, (some browsers, and in particular mobile surfing using portable devices), but search engines still tend to lose sight of large chunks of your website.

If you use frames, there is a very real chance that search engines will not all of the frames on a particular page which is indexed, resulting in your website being less visible in the search results listings pages.

As far as what method to use, you don't say a great deal about the type of website you're trying to build, (unless I missed that bit completely, in which case - apologies)

I think a lot depends on the kind of site, its complexity, and any accessibility issues you may need to consider too. My view is always to keep things as simple as possible. Flashy sites may look fun, but at the end of the day, websites are about communicating, and often making this too complex simply clouds the important message you're trying to convey.
GB
jsarnold is right, a website is ultimately about communication.

It sounds like you already know HTML. If I were you, I'd learn CSS to complement it. I found a website that takes you step by step through the design of a CSS based site here.

I hope it helps!
timothymartin
I taught myself code by finding what I liked and reading/studying the code.
JVermolen
Quote:
I know what I want to do. I have all the copy. I have all the graphics. I just can't seem to get it all together the way I want.

At least you know that, now the problem is translating it into HTML and CSS propertys, witch i will be giving you a website for after the next quote block.

Quote:
I am using Dreamweaver CS3, which I find relatively easy, but I can't find anywhere that teaches me how to make it do what I want. I find little tidbits all over the place, like when I search for "<div> as target, or when I find something about iframe, but then I read that frames are passe, and not compatible with all browsers.

You have got the basics of HTML. Frames are no longer used because the are Search engine unfriendly. Meaning getting your site found will be hard if you use frames. Dreamweaver is a good program but youll still have to know HTML and CSS well before you can use it. You can take a look at
w3schools to learn about HTML/CSS/PHP

Quote:
I want my header/banner to remain on the page, and the various buttons to change the content in the <div>. I have written the html for all of the links, but I can't seem to call them to the <div>. Do I really need to learn Ajax, JavaScript and PHP to accomplish this? Or is it xml?

I think you mean like making a menu. You can make a menu using the <ul> <li> tags (unordered list, there are enough free useable menu's to find on the internet just type menu into google) with an link to another HTML file that changes the content but where the header etc is the same. You can also use PHP include to include other content in the same file, but working with different HTML files is easier for you i think. You can also try to use a CMS (content management system) like TYPO3 or JOOMLA (i prefer typo3).

If you still have questions you can reply or send me a PM. Maby i can help you to learn HTML CSS with some examples i have at home.
pentangeli
Also if you use the neolithic iframe wc3 is send back a load of validation errors/anomalies, ones which can be overcome but not really worth the effort when they are so much more modern methods of achieving a much more usable, neater and compatible result.

Quote:
I want my header/banner to remain on the page

You mean after scroll or page hit? ccs with static property is the way to go. You're on the right lines with divs. You could theoretically do the whole thing with css. I've done it myself. The frame content is merely determined by the visibility/hidden property. I forget the exact source of what I'm referring to but do a google search for "pure css image gallery" or some combination of those words, or similar. You'll find a free css image gallery which has all the functionality you seek already provided. What I'm saying is that the content of the 'frames' in this gallery contain images and links (but it can be anything you want, from flash to html to css itself). The links themselves (kinda like faux tabs) are merely just links using old school html #anchors with ccs class selectors applied to them. The thing works beautiful, is html standard, validates perfectly and is 100% cross browser. It's also incredibly lightweight. Loading times don't figure. Go with css and have a search around from what I mentioned. It's probably tempting (from google search results of tutorials on this functionality) to use javascript. Don't. It's eval.
pentangeli
Saved you the trouble...

http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/lightbox.html#Trees
Ghost Rider103
The OP is long gone and this thread is a year old. -close-

P.S., if the original poster ever returns and wishes to have this re-opened, please PM me.