FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

EGM Magazine is dead...will anyone care?

eday2010
http://kotaku.com/5124928/1up-sold-to-hearst-corporation-egm-to-close-%5Bupdate%5D

So Ziff-Davis sold their 1Up Network to Hearst Corporation, and Electronic Gaming Monthly was not included. ZD apparently said that the January issue was the last one, and that they would no longer be printing EGM. While I liked EGM in the early to mid 90's, today it sucks. I had a free 1-year subscription and it was painful to read their magazine. It wasn't fun to read, they were rude to their readers in the Letters section, and their reviews sucked. Even when they gave a game a high score, they still spent a good chunk of the review complaining about the game. Plus that section near the back with that "Seanbaby" idiot was terrible. I assume he was trying to be funny; he failed every month.

When I think back to the EGM of the 90's, I will miss the magazine; actually, I missed it while it was still in print. But looking at the last year of the magazine, all I can say is "Good Riddance".

At least GamePro and Game Informer still seem to be doing well when it comes to multiplatform magazines. Hopefully the same fate doesn't befall them in the future.
eday2010
And the answer seems to be no. No replies yet Smile. That's to be expected since the magazine has sucked ass for a very long time.
QrafTee
No, it was ridiculous when the magazine was literally half advertisements.
Starrfoxx
Nope, I won't miss them one bit. As stated above, too many advertisements. I get all of my gaming news on the internet now, and I read a lot of user reviews on games which I find more reliable than professional reviews.
wombatrpgs
Well it usually tuns out user reviews are all over the place anyway, but oh well...

I guess this is mainly a cause of the state of the entire print news industry. Weaker magazines go first.
blk3
Printed magazines seems to be going out of style now, with the internet you get more material and info, like video sounds and even demos. There are just some things that can't be avoided soon other gaming magazines will follow EGMs fate.
Kelcey
If this was like 16 years ago, I'd be going nuts. But the internet is here.
driftingfe3s
Kelcey wrote:
If this was like 16 years ago, I'd be going nuts. But the internet is here.

Yeah, you can find game news all over the internet and you can see trailers and in game clips.
misterXY
Ads ads and more ads, online now.. Ad-block too reveal a page of actual content. Skip on ordering there e-books also. EGM had some dignity at first, but lost me since 01'
wombatrpgs
Well the same could be said of a lot of magazines today... Just covered in ads.
eday2010
To those complaining about ads in magazines...how do you think the magazine actually makes money? A good magazine will have about a 50/50 ratio of content to ads. EGM's ratio at the end was about 80% content and 20% ads. Sounds great, but you're still getting less content.

Even though the December 1994 issue was half ads, that was still 200 pages of content. So even though there were almost 200 pages of ads, there was still more content than there was near the end. And every game site is plastered with ads, most of which are more annoying than any magazine ad could ever be. Nothing annoys me more than an ad that has a lot of motion or that comes out of its "box" and covers up what I am actually trying to read. With those ads, I make sure not to buy whatever they are selling.

I prefer magazine ads to internet ads anyways. And I also enjoy reading about games in a magazine as opposed to being saddled down to a computer and reading off a screen. I don't need to know the latest news right when it happens. None of it is important anyways. And long features and articles are more enjoyable and easier for me to read off a page rather than a screen.

I think game magazines will always have a place. They have already evolved. They used to be focused on game reviews and previews, but once the internet came around and ruined game magazine, they changed things and now have magazines focused on exclusive articles and features, with reviews appearing near the back of every magazine.

I subscribe to two game magazine, and might subscribe to a third, and as long as I can afford it, I will keep the subscriptions going. They are great when you want to read something without sitting at a desk, or having a piece of electronics tethered to your ass.
enygmasoft
[quote="eday2010"]To those complaining about ads in magazines...how do you think the magazine actually makes money? A good magazine will have about a 50/50 ratio of content to ads. EGM's ratio at the end was about 80% content and 20% ads. Sounds great, but you're still getting less content.

Even though the December 1994 issue was half ads, that was still 200 pages of content. So even though there were almost 200 pages of ads, there was still more content than there was near the end. And every game site is plastered with ads, most of which are more annoying than any magazine ad could ever be. Nothing annoys me more than an ad that has a lot of motion or that comes out of its "box" and covers up what I am actually trying to read. With those ads, I make sure not to buy whatever they are selling.

I prefer magazine ads to internet ads anyways. And I also enjoy reading about games in a magazine as opposed to being saddled down to a computer and reading off a screen. I don't need to know the latest news right when it happens. None of it is important anyways. And long features and articles are more enjoyable and easier for me to read off a page rather than a screen.

I think game magazines will always have a place. They have already evolved. They used to be focused on game reviews and previews, but once the internet came around and ruined game magazine, they changed things and now have magazines focused on exclusive articles and features, with reviews appearing near the back of every magazine.

I subscribe to two game magazine, and might subscribe to a third, and as long as I can afford it, I will keep the subscriptions going. They are great when you want to read something without sitting at a desk, or having a piece of electronics tethered to your ass.[/quote
eday2010
Looks like you forgot to add your response to what I said...
QrafTee
eday2010 wrote:
Looks like you forgot to add your response to what I said...

Nah, he did, but he didn't close the quote box so his response was void.
wombatrpgs
eday2010 wrote:

This is very true... The main issue isn't so much the source of revenue so much as the cost of doing business. The magazine distribution costs add a lot onto the price of the magazine. When a lot of sites can offer content free, minus the ads, then the subscription price for something the EGM starts to look bad. The internet might be obnoxious in the method it generates revenue, but it eliminates those static prices. It might not be the best tradeoff, but there's not a lot we can do about it. There will always be gaming magazines, but the real variety has migrated to the web.
eday2010
As long as there are gaming magazines around, I will support them. No ads coming up over the text I am trying to read; no annoying audio; no annoying users acting like idiots; exclusive info not available on the web yet; and the most portable and convenient way read about games without sitting in front of a computer.