FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Do i go mac or windows?






Windows or Mac
Mac - Leapard
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Windows - XP
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Windows - Vista
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

Parkour_Jarrod
Righty-oh well here the deal im gonna be buying a laptop in the near future and im battling between a macbook and a windows laptop

i will just be using the laptop for average day-to-day stuff plus a game or two plus a couple of CAD programs, now im very used to both op systems and know them well, im thinking if i get mac if i have something thats windows only ill bootcamp or make a virtual HardDrive with windows

whats worth it more in the long run? if windows what windows XP or Vista?
Sphaerenkern
For Day-to-Day use and "a game or two", I'd really recommend a mac with Bootcamp. You could, however, try to avoid BootCamp and use CrossOver Games like I do, but I do it for two reasons: I don't want to install Windows on any of my machines, and I got CrossOver Games free Very Happy However, it's more messy than just using Windows via BootCamp for that software.
However, if you want Windows, I'd recommend XP. It has - in my opinion - less unnecessary effects and blah that just eat RAM like crazy.
Ankhanu
I run both a PC-laptop and a Macbook... for day to day use, I use the Mac almost exclusively. I only use the PC for specialized programs that don't have Mac versions, ie. scientific stats packages... sure, I could use R for all my stats, but I've been too bogged down and/or lazy to learn to use R properly.

The Mac is much lower maintenance, as I'm sure you know, and is a more pleasant GUI with a more stable base... 10.6 (Snow Leopard) will only make it more stable and resource friendly. Windows machines do have their virtues, but, unless you're looking for high end gaming, you'll probably be happier with the simpler, more intuitive Mac set up (more intuitive after about a week of getting used to not thinking in PC anymore anyway Wink ).
_AVG_
Take a Macbook. They're amazing. I've always found Mac more efficient than Windows.
In case you are an avid gamer, I think you should install Boot Camp. No matter what you do, DO NOT take Windows Vista. I find it horrible.
Ankhanu
_AVG_ wrote:
No matter what you do, DO NOT take Windows Vista. I find it horrible.


Vista's not TERRIBLE... well, only IF you have a system that can handle it anyway. I had Vista on a machine with only 1GB RAM and it was a horrendous experience. Of course, there are no XP drivers for the hardware, so it didn't run any better with XP installed. I upgraded the RAM and reinstalled Vista and it runs just fine now. It is still a little less stable than XP, but it does work fairly well. It's a slick OS, but does suffer from some lacks of functionality.

That said, if I were the primary user of the system, I'd probably install Linux and it would be even happier Smile
Diablosblizz
I hate people who diss Vista, there's nothing wrong with it. Also, how can you compare it to XP, when XP has been out for years! Vista was released recently, and yes there are going to be bugs, but you can't compare it to an OS that has been out for 8 years.

Vista looks fine, and so does Mac. Love them both, but overall I would choose Vista. Just my 2 cents.
sheedatali
Ok here is my take on this, IMO it really depends what are you going to be using your computer/laptop for day to day basis. Vista is pretty decent OS, if you are going to be playing any PC games then you gotta stick with Vista because there aren't many mainstream games available on Mac. Besides it is a reasonable OS to use for desktop computing, it is easy to use and pretty straight forward.

Mac on the other hand everything that Vista can offer (aprt from gaming) and much more. It is very stable, very reliable and very easy to use for both desktop and professional computing. It is easier for desktop user and provides enough power for advanced users who want Unix/Linux style control over system. Another plus point for Mac's can run pretty much most mainstream opensource software which for free. It goes without saying that Mac's have superior hardware than any other competitor on same level. And design which is always cutting edge and with end user in mind.

So the choice is your's and if I am not wrong, the votes bar clearly shows what is the popular OS.
rockacola
In my opinion.. Mac is luxury product: get it if you can afford one
If you are not a mac person, bootcamp allows you to use windows on a mac machine, alternatively you can get yourself a virtual machine which runs windows inside mac OS.

However if you are considering buying a mac only because of apple fever... then don't.. borrow a mac from friend instead, have a play around and see if this is really for you Wink
Parkour_Jarrod
yeah like i said im very familier with both OS im just not sure what would be best to use kos im very comfortable with both
Fire Boar
Diablosblizz wrote:
I hate people who diss Vista, there's nothing wrong with it.


Do you want some examples? The reason people "diss Vista" is because of all the things wrong with it.

Diablosblizz wrote:
Also, how can you compare it to XP, when XP has been out for years! Vista was released recently, and yes there are going to be bugs, but you can't compare it to an OS that has been out for 8 years.


You'd kinda expect something brand new to be BETTER than something that's been out for 8 years. XP is 8 years old, so really there should be no comparison - Vista should be far and away the superior system. Oh wait...

Vista is a no-no. I'd roll with a Mac or Linux if gaming isn't your number one priority. And if you're already familiar with macs, great.
Diablosblizz
Ugh, you again. Razz Vista runs fine here. Don't see any problems. From 2000 to XP (once it was first released) there were bugs, were there not? Obviously, and the same goes for Vista.

If you are going to Mac, then two points:

1. Your spending your money on a Mac, all fine and dandy.
2. Oh, and by the way now you need to go out and buy the Windows OS, cause it doesn't come with it if that's what your thinking.

So your going to spend quite a big buck, thus why I say stick with the Windows OS allowing you to do everything a Mac can do, and perhaps more (towards gaming).
Fire Boar
Diablosblizz wrote:
Ugh, you again. Razz


Yup, me again. Very Happy

Seriously, if Vista works for you, great. Well done you.
Diablosblizz
Indeed. Same goes for you for Linux/Mac OS. Back to the original topic, it depends on what you really want out of your computer, and I suppose your budget.
LostOverThere
Like the peeps around here have said, it depends on your budget and what you're using it for. Excuse me for my ignorance though, but isn't Auto CAD Windows-only?

Sure Bootcamp would work, but isn't it with boot camp that you're essentially running two operating systems? If there's a Windows programme you use really often, I would stay away from Mac. That's just my two cents though.
Parkour_Jarrod
actually Bootcamp isnt running 2 operating systems at once thats only if you use fusion X when you boot camp its like having 2 HardDrives 1 with linux one with windows and alternating between the two when you boot up hence the reason "boot"camp so i still get full performance out of both
LostOverThere
Oh, ok, thanks for the information.

Personally I would still go Windows. Not because I think Macs are bad (far from it infact), but if you're going to be using a programme that is Windows only, you'll need to use Bootcamp and therefore have to buy an additional Windows OS on top of your Mac computer. Also, as much as Mac's are great, their hardware is stupidly expensive and personally I don't feel you get any value for money from them.

My 2 cents.
albuferque
GO ASUS EEE !
It's an amazing beast
Parkour_Jarrod
ah the controversial topic seems to be that if i boot camp i need to buy the windows OS ontop... i already have it cost me $300 so that doesn't seem to be a problem
Fire Boar
Well there you have it. If you've got Windows... get a Mac for it.

Wait... that doesn't sound right. Wink
thadnation
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
Righty-oh well here the deal im gonna be buying a laptop in the near future and im battling between a macbook and a windows laptop

i will just be using the laptop for average day-to-day stuff plus a game or two plus a couple of CAD programs, now im very used to both op systems and know them well, im thinking if i get mac if i have something thats windows only ill bootcamp or make a virtual HardDrive with windows

whats worth it more in the long run? if windows what windows XP or Vista?


As far as I know, there are no stand-alone CAD programs that are compatible with a mac. I don't know what kind of games you want to play, but you'd probably be better off with a PC for that as well. I also don't know which macbook you are going to get or if you want a mac book pro, but if you want to be able to use a windows partition for the majority of your day to day stuff as well as CAD, I would caution you, but it's your choice. I use a program called Autodesk Inventor, and it requires a lot of memory, so I don't suggest using a macbook for that.

Finally, if your games require any sort of good graphics, a macbook isn't the best choice because it has an integrated graphics card. If you really love apple, go ahead and get the mac, but I personally would get a PC.
thadnation
btw, autoCAD is windows only, along withh every other autodesk product. Inventor is horribly slow with 512 mb and I suggest 2 gigs which disqualifies the macbook.
Parkour_Jarrod
Yes i am aware that Autodesk and CAD programs are windows only but as i said i was going to use bootcamp for those programs, i was planning on getting the macbook pro with 4gb ram, just kos i like my machines fast
Diablosblizz
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
ah the controversial topic seems to be that if i boot camp i need to buy the windows OS ontop... i already have it cost me $300 so that doesn't seem to be a problem


Have you activated the key already? Most keys are single activations only.
Parkour_Jarrod
this one is 3 activation key so i can do it on 3 machines
Ankhanu
thadnation wrote:
btw, autoCAD is windows only, along withh every other autodesk product. Inventor is horribly slow with 512 mb and I suggest 2 gigs which disqualifies the macbook.


Guh?? I have 2Gb of RAM in my 2y/o Macbook.
Parkour_Jarrod
i thought macs came stick with 2gigs ram :O mabey im wrong Confused
Studio Madcrow
My suggestion would be to go for a dual boot Mac/Windows system. Windows for the games, Mac for everything else.
hearurscream
If you know how to use a computer, go with Windows XP. If you're a bit on the technologically challenged side I would suggest Mac. Not a bash on Mac, just saying that the biggest complaints against Windows are from people who don't know how to use it!
Ankhanu
hearurscream wrote:
If you know how to use a computer, go with Windows XP. If you're a bit on the technologically challenged side I would suggest Mac. Not a bash on Mac, just saying that the biggest complaints against Windows are from people who don't know how to use it!


And the biggest complaint about not knowing how to use a computer when referencing Mac users are people who don't understand the power of the Console. If you "know how to use a computer" then you'll have very similar abilities using Mac, Windows or Linux, as you'll be able to do more than you can through the GUI.

On a related note, the intuitiveness of an OS is a great asset in assessing how it was designed. A well designed OS will not take much time to figure out, it should be set up to work in an intuitive manner. If you have to pour through arcane tomes to figure things out, it's not well designed. That said, there is a very different mind set or approach you have to take with the three major OSes; each has its intuitive strengths and weaknesses.
aningbo
i would ask u to go for windows for a thousand reasons. if u wanna show off with it then go for mac.

like the other posters, windows is by far much better in terms of software compatibility. most softwares are programmed for windows.

besides, people who complain about windows are those who doesnt know how to use them. love the mac interface though.
Fire Boar
aningbo wrote:
i would ask u to go for windows for a thousand reasons. if u wanna show off with it then go for mac.

like the other posters, windows is by far much better in terms of software compatibility. most softwares are programmed for windows.

besides, people who complain about windows are those who doesnt know how to use them. love the mac interface though.


I'm going to have to disagree here. Windows cannot run Mac or Linux programs. Mac and Linux, however, can run Windows programs (sometimes with some limitation) using tools like Wine. Anyway, when you say "most softwares are programmed for windows", I assume you mean either "Most games and other things you can buy in a store are programmed for Windows" or "Most of the freeware, trialware, shareware and e-ware you find on the internet is for Windows". In the case of the former, with games that is perfectly true, but with utility software there are free alternatives which often blow away all competition in terms of functionality and support. In the case of the latter, Windows-ware that you can download is generally full of nag screens, and have totally free open source alternatives, though not ported to Windows (in the case of Linux) or boast key features built into the operating system (in the case of a Mac).

Besides, people who complain about Windows are those who realise just how restrictive it can be, and want more control over their computer, or else don't want to tie themselves to a company like Microsoft.

Really, I'm trying to get the point across that Windows, just because it's the current market leader, isn't necessarily the best choice.
o_man
say what you will about microsoft, but I like windows because it's far easier to customize than Mac OS.
Ankhanu
o_man wrote:
say what you will about microsoft, but I like windows because it's far easier to customize than Mac OS.


Conversely, I've never really felt the need to customize MacOS, while I immediately have to start changing Windows to make it a pleasant computing environment. That said, MacOS isn't all that difficult to customize either... but yeah, it's not as obvious how to do it as it is in Windows.

Now, if you really want customizability of the GUI, take a look at many Linux distros. They tend to be FAR easier to customize, with far more options, than Windows.
o_man
Ankhanu wrote:
o_man wrote:
say what you will about microsoft, but I like windows because it's far easier to customize than Mac OS.


Conversely, I've never really felt the need to customize MacOS, while I immediately have to start changing Windows to make it a pleasant computing environment. That said, MacOS isn't all that difficult to customize either... but yeah, it's not as obvious how to do it as it is in Windows.

Now, if you really want customizability of the GUI, take a look at many Linux distros. They tend to be FAR easier to customize, with far more options, than Windows.


My issue with Mac OS is that it's just so bland. You can change the desktop, but that's about it. In windows I can have a dock, a task bar, both, or Win7's combo thing. I can change the look of the taskbar nearly infinitely. on a mac, the dock is a dock is a dock. I find the lack of themes to be rather annoying considering Apple supposed to be so hip and cool. I could go linux, but if you give someone like me too many options at once, one won't know what the heck to do.
Related topics
External Hard Drive - For use with MAC, Linux and Windows
Why people hate Windows?
Linux (w/parallel WIN OS) vs WIN vs Mac (w/parallel WIN OS)
İşletim Sistemi Pazarında Mac Yükselişte
Windows vs. Mac OS
Mac
Intel Vs AMD
Will Windows last forvever?
How can I find a good XML Editor
Winamp for Linux
MAC OSX on PC's!!!
Beginning Programming... Help!
Google OS
Are Macs immune to spyware, etc..?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.