FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What guitar amplifier do you have?

rockstar
As the "what guitar" thead is quite popular, I thought I would start an amp version

I'm currently using an Eng Screamer 50 combo (E330 model). For those that have never come across these, its a German made combo with 2 channels, each of which has 2 gain modes. There is also a footswitchable attenuator, which alternates the volume for rhythm/lead purposes. Obviously its very versatile.
Its quite large for a 1x12, and very hefty. It weighs considerably less without the steel grill covering the speaker, but you could say its built to last!

Do I like it? Yes and no.
The clean sounds a probably comparable to the best Fenders out there. Crunchy, it's instant Malcolm Young from ACDC. So far so good.

The dirty channel is a bit of a let down for me, both "nasel" and "bassy" at the same time. I've tried different cabs, as well as using the onboard Celestion Vintage 30. I've replaced the valves (tubes) with both the same, and different types.

Would I buy another? No. I love the versatility and the clean channel. But black marks for the dirty channel and the weight of the thing.

Anyone got a Marshall head for sale?
welshsteve
I have a Marshall Valvestate 60W amp. Don't use it hardly ever anymore though as I don't play anymore.
Ankhanu
1972 Fender Twin Reverb. It's one of the few made in 1972 that introduced the Master Volume, but before they added the Push/Pull Master Volume that became the "silverface" standard in 1973.

It is a phenomenal amp... though very unforgiving. It's very articulate, and any mistakes you make playing the guitar will not be hidden by the amp's tonal character; you have to play well or you'll sound terrible Razz
Twin Reverbs are renowned for their clean tone and high volume... the clean channel simply will not break up, while the vibrato channel gets a tiny bit of dirt when the channel volume is set at about 5 and up... just enough to add some colour/character, but is still undeniably clean. This means that if I want any dirt in there, I have to use a pedal... it's downfall... though it's not much of one. I can pull some pretty mean tones out of it and it can provide a great classic surf vibe with a good dose of wet reverb and some vibrato Smile It can be a bit temperamental when trying to EQ it, but with a little patience you can dial in most any clean tone you want.

It also weighs a tonne Razz But, any 212 tube combo will. I really should install casters on it to make moving it easier... all in good time.
I'd definitely consider buying another pre-1973 Twin if I had to replace it... though I'd also consider something a little smaller or with a bit of a different character, such as a Deluxe, DeVille or Bassmaster... or something that I can use equally well for bass as well as guitar (Vintage Traynor YBA-1 or Ampeg SVT anyone??)

rockstar
I now have a Marshall JVM2 50 watt head. I've yet to gig it (that will have to wait until the weekend) but I have been in the studio today and recorded a couple of tracks.
Compared with the Engle mentioned above, its much more muscular in the distortion department and its just as versatile. It also much easier to move. The Screamer was backbreaking.
I will report my findings as a gigging amp in a few weeks.

Engl combo for sale.........
Insanity
Crappy Roland 20x Cube. Not that much power, but I like the cool effects that it comes with.
Magicman
I have a Fender Frontman 25. It's definitely not the best amp in the world but it is light enough and both channels sound pretty good. I can usually find a sound I like by playing with the dials. It only has overdrive and basic reverb as built in effects but I like playing with it. It has more than enough power for playing in my room but I have never actually gigged with it.
Magicman
I have a Fender Frontman 25. It's definitely not the best amp in the world but it is light enough and both channels sound pretty good. I can usually find a sound I like by playing with the dials. It only has overdrive and basic reverb as built in effects but I like playing with it. It has more than enough power for playing in my room but I have never actually gigged with it.
froginabox
I've had a bunch... most of them bought and recently sold for tuition money Sad

I currently own only a crappy crate 10 watt practice combo, and a Sunn Beta Lead 2x12 combo (100 watts).

At different times I've owned an Engl Fireball, Mesa Dual Rec, Orange Tiny Terror, and a Marshall TSL... all through an Avatar cab... unfortunately all of these are sold. I picked every one of them but the Tiny Terror up at yard sales and whatnot with major problems, fixed them up, and whammo they sounded great! The Engl was bequeathed to me by my uncle, he has arthritis and couldn't play anymore.
bissoboa
Very nice amplifier and guitar Ankhanu!

And here you can see mine (look at the up right corner of the photo). A Dual Caliber DC-5 from Mesa/Boogie that really rocks. It is about 10 years aged. It weight 28 kg. This bad guy must be treated with careful expecially playing the lead channel in closed rooms... Wink

agustin
I used to have a roller small one. 100w. It was inough for the moment I started playing electric guitar.
Noremac
I'm simple, a BIG FAT MARSHALL

good for what I need, small gigs etc.

Everything technical I do on computer.