FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is the best way to treat a bad sunburn?

Runescapetown
Well i went over my mates house, and it was over like 35 degrees so we jumped in his pool. Yep i didnt put suncream on...... I didnt notice anything till i had a shower.. I started getting itchy and red... now how do i stop the pain Smile???????

HELP ME its annoying.
Afaceinthematrix
All you can really do for a sunburn is just let it heal. The only thing you can really do besides that is put some aloe vera gel on it. The best thing you can do is prevent it. Sunburns are dangerous because they can lead to skin cancer... anyways... I don't want to give a sermon so I'll just leave it at that. You can put some aloe vera gel on it, but you'll pretty much just have to wait it out. Good luck.
TomS
Try to chill your room as good as possible and avoid sun until you're feeling better.
Aloe vera is indeed very good. It's cooling, which is good for you now.
PennyLane
Some cooling aftersun gel can do you good, and indeed avoid the sun right now (hell there is no sun out here, only ice and cold and...) If it doesn't get better after a week you should see your physician because even a sunburn means your skin has second degree burns... Good luck with it!
eday2010
Calomine lotion also works well, but Aloe Vera is probably the best, especially if you have a plany at home that you can take the juice from directly.
ocalhoun
eday2010 wrote:
Calomine lotion also works well, but Aloe Vera is probably the best, especially if you have a plany at home that you can take the juice from directly.

Aloe is the best thing you can use... Having a plant to get it from yourself is cheap, but not easy and they have thorns, so you'll likely get hurt more by it. There are many commercial lotions and balms that are mostly aloe though, look for one of those.
Vladalf
The best way to treat sunburn is to put vinegar or aloe vera gell on it. I allways use that when I'm sunburnt tough I've been more carefull these last years, I'm afraid of the sun because I have very sensible skin.
Vladalf
sana618
Vladalf wrote:
The best way to treat sunburn is to put vinegar or aloe vera gell on it. I allways use that when I'm sunburnt tough I've been more carefull these last years, I'm afraid of the sun because I have very sensible skin.
Vladalf

Vinegar!!! this is the first time that i've heard of.... and that too putting it on a burn!!!

well coming back to the subject... as all the others have said aloe vera is the best, also have a lot of
extra fluids so that you do not get dehydrated.
apply cool wet compresses to the affected part.
have cool baths and showers .
apply topical moisturizers once the sunburned areas begin to peel so that it dosn't become itchy.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Aloe is the best thing you can use... Having a plant to get it from yourself is cheap, but not easy and they have thorns, so you'll likely get hurt more by it. There are many commercial lotions and balms that are mostly aloe though, look for one of those.

That is my remedy too. I always carry Aloe Gel with me, when I go on a holiday where sun is involved. The one I swear by is called Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gelly (photo below). It has an enormous percentage of the best stuff in Aloe Vera for burns and is available in almost all Health Stores as well as quite a number of pharmacies:

Nameless

Oh wait, this is real life, nevermind.
carlospro7
Yeah, I heard Aloe Vera is pretty good for sunburns. It cools your skin and it moisturizes it.
[FuN]goku
yeah aloe vera is excellent. I've been in the same situation. I jumped into my uncles pool on canada day, and i was in there for 3-4 hours... when i got out... /shudder... worst sun burn i've ever had by far... What i'd do was, fill up a luke-warm bath, and put some sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) in it. And sit in there for a half hour - an hour. It gets rid of the itch sometimes, but it may sting a bit if the water is too warm. Afterwards, put on some aloe vera. OR, i know years back, there used to be this stuff you could buy in a can called "Solarcaine" or... something like that. i don't remember the correct spelling... But DAMN... that Solarcaine stuff is a real life saver. You spray it on... and it's like instant cold and it lasts for a while. I'm not sure if they still make it or not though.

Other than that.. If you don't have any Aloe Vera, try some sort of handcream or something that will moistureize your skin.
airh3ad
Used medicine or clean it by water veryday.
sondosia
Aloe vera gel is amazing. They sell a really nice one at Trader Joe's (dunno if they have those where you live). It's soothing and helps it heal quicker.
Pin3apple
awh, I hate sunburns.
I tried all kinds of aloe vera when I was in the Canary Islands.
Didn't help.
I looked like a tomatoe for several weeks.
Gonzalo
Put some solarburn cream on it, man.

Plan B: go with salt.
Runescapetown
Gonzalo wrote:
Put some solarburn cream on it, man.

Plan B: go with salt.

Alwell to late now, it started peeling and doesnt hurt anymore so its fine. Next time ill think before i go in the pool on a really hot day with out suncream -.-..........

Thanks guys for your comments will remember it for next time it happens Smile.
standready
Aloe Vera is a good choice. Skin needs miosture.

Side note: (I laughed at myself) I wish it was 35 degrees here, even on the fahrenheit scale.
miacps
As just about everyone in this thread has already said... Laughing

Aloe is the way to go.

Seriously, it takes that sunburn from "f**k!" to "ahh.." very quickly.
mrcool
id prefer aloe vera gel too...we have an aloe vera plant, if ever i feel something red or itchy, ill put it on that area of my skin...