FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Good board or card games

davidfromoz
Hi All,

I'm looking for fun, not overly complicated card or board games that require a bit of thinking. The ideal game would support from 2 to 6 players, require players to interact a bit and be the kind of game you can pick up fairly quickly and can be played by people of various ages every now and then without needing to constantly consult a manual each time.

My teenage nice and nephew have never really played any games except for computer games. I visited them recently and introduced them to Monopoly which was a huge success. It was so much fun to sit around with everybody playing. But towards the end I think people started to want a bit more. Monopoly is a bit mindless.

Next time I'd like to introduce them to a new game. I want them to think and interact. But I don't want the smartest player to steamroll everybody every game.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

cheers,
david
evilgeniuself
Any Game by Parker Brothers would be good, along with games like Scrabble, Tabletop Role playing, and Farkle. What ages are your niece and nephew? If they are young you might want to try some card games like High And Low (for the really young), Rummy 5000 (simpler version without betting), and maybe just something simple like Go Fish or Spades (ok, Spades is not very simple, yet it is fun)...
truespeed
Get them to bring their pocket money and introduce them to poker.
davidfromoz
Thanks for the tips.

My niece and nephew are 14 and 16. Their native language is Chinese and mine is English though we both have patchy control of eachother's languages. Hence we want something that is not too rule and reference based. But they are quite smart, so simple rules even if they have complex results is OK.

I've had a lot of fun playing chess with them, but its limited to 2 players. Likewise bridge would be a good candidate (at least simple bridge) but for the limit on number of players.

A game like Dungeons and Dragons is not suitable because its heavily reference and rule based so somebody would be struggling with whatever language we chose to play it in. Monopoly was perfect in that regard, just the right number of rules to argue over and its printed in Chinese and English. I guess Diplomacy is a candidate, though I've never played it and I wonder if its a better play by mail of computer type of game. I'm personally intrigued by Magic the Gathering though I think it might be 2 players only. Perhaps there is a similar game that can support more players.

I haven't played a huge variety of games but Cluedo is a candidate. Another game I played and enjoyed was Titan.

cheers,
david
andersonic
Poker. Texas Hold Em. I play with all my friends, and a game lasts a whole night. It's fun, social and you can win their money!

As you want a game that requires thinking, then this is it. When you get better, you'll be looking for tells to help you along, as you are playing a game with incomplete information.

The actual game itself is picked up very easily. Developing skills takes longer, such as knowing how much to bet, in accordance with what's already in the pot and your outs, and bluffing.
TomS
I like "the settlers of Catan".
It's a build-up game. You have to settle the island of Catan. Although you always build and never loose an entity there are several ways to tease your oponent(s).
It is for 3 or 4 players, but we also played it twosome and it's not less funny. There is an expansion pack for 5 to 6 players.
If you like the game, but want more, there are several packs, that introduce new rules, new entities and new possibilities.
But also the standard version is fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlers_of_Catan
http://catan.com
evilgeniuself
Since you are looking for games without a heavy rule base and a good game play for more than two players, then Parker Brothers games (such as Monopoly, Risk, Clue, and Life) seem to be very well suited. Magic the Gathering is very entertaining to many people, and games are not just limited to two players (rules for multiple players are listed in the rulebook). The only problem you may have with Magic the Gathering is the amount of time and money it may cost to have an effective deck of cards and a good strategy, just like every other trading card game out there. From what you have said so far, it seems like board games like those you would buy from the store would probably be the best for you and your niece and nephew. I would also try some dice games like Farkle and Yahtzee as a suggestion if you have the correct amount of dice (5 for Yahtzee, 6 for Farkle).
davidfromoz
Thanks for all the ideas. Lots of good ideas.

I love Poker, but only when I play for money. I think its a useless game if decisions don't really cost anything. Maybe when they get a bit older (and their wallets get a bit thicker) I'll teach my niece and nephew.

I'm very interested in Catan and will probably buy it next chance I get. Also I think I'll buy some dice and try out the dice games.

cheers,
david
Ankhanu
TomS wrote:
I like "the settlers of Catan".
It's a build-up game. You have to settle the island of Catan. Although you always build and never loose an entity there are several ways to tease your oponent(s).
It is for 3 or 4 players, but we also played it twosome and it's not less funny. There is an expansion pack for 5 to 6 players.
If you like the game, but want more, there are several packs, that introduce new rules, new entities and new possibilities.
But also the standard version is fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlers_of_Catan
http://catan.com

I was going to suggest Settlers as well... but the language barrier could be tough to work around. The rules are simple... but sometimes take a little bit to explain. It's a fantastic game though... and once the language barrier is broken would be a tonne of fun and simple to play.

For a card game, Munchkin would be simple to learn. One of the major aspects of the game, however, is its humour, which is contextual. The humour would be lost since they wouldn't get the references, but it's still a fun and simple game to play.
http://www.sjgames.com/munchkin/game/

Blockus is a pretty awesome and simple game as well. Basically you get a bunch of coloured geometric shapes that you have to strategically place about the board with a corner touching some f your already laid tiles (but you can't have edges touching). You want to cover as much of the board with your tiles, preventing your opponents from being able to lay theirs down. When the board is full, the player with the fewest squares remaining unplayed wins.
http://www.amazon.com/Educational-Insights-2995-Blokus-Classic/dp/B00011F5DK/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_i

RoboRally is a brilliant and simple game where you try to race your robot from one end of a factory floor to the goal, using a series of pre-programmed move sequences. Trouble is, the factory floor has hazards and the robots are equipped with lasers... and you can't change your program once the round starts Smile It's one of the few games that is a blast to lose as well as win.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/prod/roborally
Starrfoxx
Settlers of Catan is a great game. We just recently got Seafarers of Catan which expands upon it, and it really adds more variety to it. We're looking forward to getting the other expansions too.

Mille Bourne is a great card game that isn't complicated. It's a simple race car driving game where you try to stop the other person with red lights, flat tires, speed limits, and more.

Incan Gold is another simple card game. Very Indiana Jones-like, and set up like a "dare" game. Dare to go further for more gems or return to camp with what you have.
spinout
I tip about marvel heroes board game - very nice figures and artwork indeed. The gameplay is ok - but worth the buy!
n3k0
carcassonne is a nice game one. It has a lot of expansions that make you change the way you must think.

Any way you can take a look in http://boardgamegeek.com it is the best board games webpage.
Starrfoxx
n3k0 wrote:
carcassonne is a nice game one. It has a lot of expansions that make you change the way you must think.

Any way you can take a look in http://boardgamegeek.com it is the best board games webpage.

It's more like the ULTIMATE source of information for board/card games. Very Happy
hlavco
How about Pictionary? That relies more on images than language.
[FuN]goku
Meh, I don't really know... Life, Risk..... Those are the only 2 I can really think of off hand.

On the offhand, if you would want to get into it, D&D (Dungeons and Dragons) is a pretty sweet game.
Me and 3 of my mates got together on the last day of school before christmas and played it for the first time. It wasn't too hard to learn, just alot of maths going on, and you need a load of dice, theres d20's, d4's, d6(standard 6 sided die) and I think d10 and d100, I honestly don't know how many there are lol.

It's pretty fun once you get going though.
QrafTee
Uno is a fun card game. If you know how to play Big 2 Poker it's great for 4-players.
Nutteloos
If you love arguing about the rules, get Munchkin. It's mostly a parody on any fantasy game in existence, and it always guarantees a few good laughs.

Games usually don't take too long. The rules are easy to understand, but hard to master: the core rule being "bending rules to your own advantage is not only allowed, but also encouraged".
bogger
hmm,

Nuclear war isn't complicated, but god can you be an ****** in it ^.^ (in a good way!) (mind you, the rules make it seem very complicated, just try to play a few games 1st and you'll see it's really quite simple)

catan is good too, I like Transamerica as well.

Monopoly however, that's a game I hate with a passion, it hurts!

Edit: post 666, woop woop!
kriszara
I like games that rely on strategy, not luck and dice. My suggestions for your situation since language is an issue are:
    Blokus - someone else suggested this one as well, quick strategy game, 4 players, also Blokus Trigon.
    Tsuro by WizKids if you can still find it. Very fast and playable by up to 8 people which makes it a great family-get-together game.
    Rummikub - mix between Rummy and dominoes.

Helios' edit: please use your signature space in your profile for signatures...
slashnburn99
Cards - blackjack
BoardGames - Drafts

Easy to play for all ages
jaboihost
For a card game, I would suggest cribbage. I played that growing up with my uncle and cousins. It's a pretty easy game where you try to come up with 15-point combinations, runs and occasional flushes. There is a decent amout of strategy, but not so much that it discourages beginners from playing. It also teaches you how to count and be thoroughly detail-oriented. It's fairly common to miss certain point combinations when counting your hand. You can help kids count for a while, and at a later time turn them loose to be on their own. If they miss points, it can be costly.
wombatrpgs
As kriszara recommended, Rummikub is very nice... Might be a bit complicated to explain at first, but there should be enough strategy involved and it's intuitive enough.
Nutteloos
wombatrpgs wrote:
As kriszara recommended, Rummikub is very nice... Might be a bit complicated to explain at first, but there should be enough strategy involved and it's intuitive enough.

Our Rummicub games usually strand in endlessly trying to swap around cards to see if you can put all of them on the table at once... then arriving at the conclusion that it's not possible and spending another 5 minutes reversing every change you've made. Confused
catscratches
Kalaha is a very nice board game. It requires a lot of thinking, but the rules aren't complicated at all.
wombatrpgs
Wow, just found Khet. Anyone every tried it, the laser game? Very intuitive and simple, the rulebook can be understood very easily, it's mostly picture based. And a game like chess with lasers is neat in my book.
Rhemedyl
My favourite is WoW TCG.
The basic of the game is like Magic, but they repaired the errors of it. For example there is no manadeath here, you can always put some card for resource.
And its more enjoyable, for example your hero can fight as well, not just the creatures that you summoned.

I don't know the reason why didn't it become more popular. The background is perfect, WoW is still the most favorite MMORPG, so it cannot be problem.
wombatrpgs
Well if it's essentially a Magic ripoff, people will just play magic...
Rhemedyl
You can be right, Magic has much more tradition, and it seems that is more important for the ppl.

Even if its more balanced (for example no forbidden cards), more interesting (especially if you know the MMORPG version too), its not enough to compete with Magic.
Dean_The_Great
I would play Poker (for fun, no money, with a nice chip set), or Risk... World domination is always fun.

If you can get another person I would play Euchre. It's got a little bit of a learning curve to it strategy wise, but the rules are not terribly complex. And it's played with partners which is fun. But a real game of Euchre (without variants) requires exactly four people.
wombatrpgs
How hard is Euchre to pick up?