FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Links for posts?

ocalhoun
Suppose that, as an additional incentive to posting, the poster(s) with the (highest quantity, best quality, most helpfulness, and/or most provocative to further discussion) posts gets their website featured on some part of Frihost that will be often viewed, and likely give them more traffic.

The person(s) who have links could be changed out on a regular basis, such as bi-weekly or monthly.

Especially if you chose to base it off of something other than number of posts, it could encourage people not just to post the minimum to keep hosting, but to post more, and make the best posts they can.

Effects the various 'awards' might have:

Highest quantity: If based on posts during the time period judged only, it would allow relatively new members to feel competitive with those who have been here a long time.

Best quality: Overall quality of forum discussions goes up, as at least some of the people try for that award and make better posts because of it.

Most helpful: Both the quantity and the quality of replies in the various 'help me' forums is improved.

Most Provocative: People starting new topics (and sometimes replies as well) put thought into structuring their posts so as to provoke further discussion better, which ultimately brings more forum traffic, and more posts from everyone.

(and one more possible one) Mod Helper: The one who has been the most helpful lately by making (valid and useful) reports.

Where to put link(s) like this? Well, there's a nice blank spot on top between the user info and the google search, and there's also a nice, wide, blank spot to the right of text box on the posting page.

Choosing to do one or more of these awards and giving a much-viewed link as a reward would cost a little in terms of staff time and effort, but I think that effort would be repaid nicely when you see the forums improve because of it.
coreymanshack
Maybe we could buy that with points? For a more better approach? Seeing as how points have no real use yet but to see who is active without looking at posts. Allowing users to buy this feature with points would create the same effect I would think.
rvec
coreymanshack wrote:
Maybe we could buy that with points? For a more better approach? Seeing as how points have no real use yet but to see who is active without looking at posts. Allowing users to buy this feature with points would create the same effect I would think.
I think you mean frih$ instead of points there?
coreymanshack
rvec wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
I think you mean frih$ instead of points there?

That is what I ment. :/
SpellcasterDX
I like the original idea, but...

coreymanshack wrote:

I disagree with this. If you could just buy your way onto there, it would defeat the whole purpose of earning the award. People with lots of frih$ would just keep buying space and not let people with less posts, (say, newbies or somewhat noobies) buy their space on there. In addition, people wouldn't be encouraged to make meaningful posts. On the contrary, people would just post to get frih$ so they can keep buying up the space. Plus, it just seems more fit for it to be granted by staff than to be able to just get it yourself.