FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A Car that drives like a Fish.

rexrae
Quote:
The boxfish, the aerodynamic model for the concept car, is also a prime example of rigidity and light weight. Its skin consists of numerous hexagonal, bony plates which provide maximum strength with minimal weight and effectively protect the animal from injury.

In the EU driving cycle the concept car has a fuel consumption of 4.3 litres per 100 kilometres – 20 less than a comparable series-production car. In accordance with the US measuring method (FTP 75) the range is around 70 miles per US gallon (combined), which is about 30 percent more than for a standard-production car. At a constant speed of 90 km/h the direct-injection diesel unit consumes only 2.8 litres per 100 kilometres– corresponding to a range of 84 miles per gallon in the US test cycle.

40 percent more rigidity to be achieved in the external door panelling than would be possible with conventional designs. If the entire bodyshell is calculated according to this bionic principle, the total weight is reduced by around one third with undiminished strength and crash safety.

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050607.004

Yes the future of technology atleast in Mechanical engineering is found in nature.This stuff is called bionics.The car is not so sleek and sharp in its looks but it not completely ugly either.Compared to all the futurecars we have seen as used in DemolitionMan,MinorityReport,I-Robot etc this fits into the same category.
And the fuel efficiency if achievable at that rate then the oil_crisis atleast in automobile sector of the world will be a thing of the past.
I cannot believe that such a big-boxy car has a lower air drag less than most of the low height,sleek ones.Not only is it spacy and less-thirsty but the design is stronger too.Box-fish is for sure one of the wonders of the undersea world.
What are they gonna discover next?-A Starfish Car.

blackant
hahaha.. it sure is ugly to me. Razz
nevertheless with the ever increasing petrol price, i think people will still get it. Wink
pixor
I think it sucks. Both the aerodynamics and the outlook. Why would you need to drive like a fish anyway?
orno
pixor wrote:
I think it sucks. Both the aerodynamics and the outlook. Why would you need to drive like a fish anyway?

Did you even read the whole article?

Quote:
In the EU driving cycle the concept car has a fuel consumption of 4.3 litres per 100 kilometres – 20 less than a comparable series-production car. In accordance with the US measuring method (FTP 75) the range is around 70 miles per US gallon (combined), which is about 30 percent more than for a standard-production car. At a constant speed of 90 km/h the direct-injection diesel unit consumes only 2.8 litres per 100 kilometres– corresponding to a range of 84 miles per gallon in the US test cycle.

Exactly because of that Smile Its more economical.
Slammer
i like the idea of that big sweeeping windscreen, looks cool Smile nice view you would get hehe
OutlawSpirit
look at the rims they rockin Cool
billgertz
well, probably its the trend in the world of boys toys, fishy fishy! hehehe.. nah, i doesnt matter, for as long as it'll take you safe to your destination, that's fine with me.. of course, the tuning is a big factor..
nik
what next? camel car that run in the desert?
cnnet
look nice
I want to buy one
but i don't have the money Wink
mengshi200
very interesting!very fun.i like it very much.how much it?
myth-plan
ugly!
I do not like it .
Ressurrector
Thats wild.
Anti-Camper
it's very nice!!!! Laughing
i like this type of car's.. modern's.. lol Razz
jongoldsz
I think that car is a bit too queer, but the fuel intake is great for that distance.
vadbe2l
cool Laughing
Tior
lol,interesting car Smile but ugly for me
hofer
It is not that ugly, i liked the desing.
Kerissa_46901
I think it is great. The worlds best designs how been found in nature. I think it is a pretty cool looking car. I don't know how it handles but the look is unique. It would be even neater if the car would go under water. I like the old 50's cars which were amphibians. That is the way it should be driving around and decide you want to go fishing. Go fishing.
ilibrium
They only made flight properly feasible when they understood the structure of a bird's wing. Isn't it strange how evolution takes care of all of these things by chance that even men in their diligence can't unveil?

I'm seriously looking into intelligent design at the moment. It seems to make so much more sense.
waring
dear god.

that thing is AWESOME.

it's kind of weird looking, but i think it'll grow on me. i don't know how i feel about driving a car that has like no hood in front of me...that makes me a little worried. i like knowing i have plenty of hoodspace to keep me protected from a hood/bumper crash.
completeforums
That car is disgusting, it has queer written all over it.
ilibrium
Built to coincide with Germany's 'Year of the fish'
af169
look very nice ,but i don't have money
kirra
I kinda like the look of the car.
pixelkitten83
Laughing nyahahah! so... greeny... well, it's kinda ugly... but CUTE!! I guess, for me though.... yeah, I so agree , what will they of think next?