FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Titanic

Rocko
Does anyone know of the Titanic ship? It was really sad when it sunk. Sad
brokenadvice
Are you talking about the RMS Titanic which sunk in 1912? I doubt you are quite that old, though if you are, congratulations. Not many people in their 90's venture onto the internet.
Rocko
Lol I am only 16. I have done alot of research about it for one of my past sites.
deanhills
Rocko wrote:
Lol I am only 16. I have done alot of research about it for one of my past sites.

Great stuff! So can you tell us what your thoughts are about the sinking of the Titanic? What do you think are the reasons it happened?
Pin3apple
deanhills wrote:
Rocko wrote:

Great stuff! So can you tell us what your thoughts are about the sinking of the Titanic? What do you think are the reasons it happened?

-.- it hit a ice- mountain.
evilgeniuself
There's a few ideas on the cause of the Titanic sinking, because the Titanic was supposedly a very strong ship, with a steel hull, which in theory was supposed to have been able to survive icebergs like that. One of the most interesting events about the Titanic was that, when it crashed, it didn't sink all at once. Half of it sank almost directly at the point of impact, while the other half sank a good time after (I'm not sure on the amount of time, just that it was more than a day). Why, Rocko, do you think it sank like it did, and why exactly did it not survive something it was designed to prevent? I, like deanhills, am very curious on your thoughts.
sana618
all i know about the Titanic is that i saw in the movie, so ya i'm curious too. so please share your thoughts and your research.
imera
sana618 wrote:
all i know about the Titanic is that I saw in the movie....

Yeah, I know mostly only about that to, but the movie is also made as a movie that was based on a fake story, Rose never existed, that love affair was never on board. But many of the other things was actually true, like that Brown woman (the one that became rich but acted a bit more down to earth)

I'm to lazy to look for something on the internet, will probably end up spending a lot of time reading through the same things before something new will appear.

If anyone has a link to anywhere where I might find good research then post it here, I can spend one or two hours reading about it as long as it's good
sana618
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Titanic

http://www.titanic.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5712&forum=3&post_id=50276#forumpost50276

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-biography/thomas-whiteley.html

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-biography/thomas-whiteley.html

i think this is more then enough.
goniagara
There are tons of books on the Titanic and I've read quite a few of them. Most of the older books are great reads, but focus more on the human side of the tragedy and lives lost and the survivors. Even the official inquiries are limited in their depth of analysis and it's more about assigning blame than trying to figure out the details of what happened. The movie, while it has the fictional love story in it, does have alot of accurate historical detail as well.

Yes, everyone knows that she was going too fast and hit an iceburg which is the big reason why. Since Robert Ballard found the wreck, there has been alot of research into the engineering of the diaster, and alot of good insight has been developed in recent years. I have seen documentaries recently but I can't point to any one good source to read, but it generally seems to be held now that hull plates buckled from being too brittle, especially in cold water and poor quality rivets. The Wikipedia entry has pretty good discussion of it.

What continues to amaze me is that people of all ages and backgrounds are still captivated by the Titanic 97 years after she sank.
Mennoj1
I last have seen the film and it was very sad.
imera
I came across this post on BBC, and instantly thought about this post.

I wonder what your opinion is on this.

I would say that it could most likely be true, British people high in the society would most likely be polite and let women and children go on the lifeboats and step back, maybe they thought there were enough lifeboats for all and though that they would be saved to, who knows.
I am pretty sure that people has learned from this incident, only because they think something is unsinkable doesn’t mean it is, always need to think that anything can happen.
deanhills
imera wrote:
I came across [url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7843154.stm"]this post on BBC,[/url] and instantly thought about this post.

I wonder what your opinion is on this.

I would say that it could most likely be true, British people high in the society would most likely be polite and let women and children go on the lifeboats and step back, maybe they thought there were enough lifeboats for all and though that they would be saved to, who knows.
I am pretty sure that people has learned from this incident, only because they think something is unsinkable doesn’t mean it is, always need to think that anything can happen.

This is a good reading imera. Thanks for the link. I would agree with this totally. I can just see that in my mind's eye! And they probably saved so many others in the process.

PS: I'm not British, or pro-British but this is one point I would have to agree on for the British society of that time. Wink
muffinman187
i remember reading a lot of books and hearing about the titan during elementary years. i wonder if the US school system mention titan?

titan the movie was a great movie too
lagoon
I went to some amazing exhibition about it, but I can't remember exactly what it was.
saratdear
I am a Titanic lover as well. Smile I kind of got into this Titanic craze after watching the 1997 movie, and then I researched all I could about the Titanic on the web. If anybody has any specific doubts about the sinking, I'd be happy to clear it up (as far as I know from the web, of course).
ptfrances
I thought that the Titanic sory was very famous.
It sunk in 1912 if I remember well and was full of people fleeing misery in Europe, especially in England. But of course, as we saw in the movie, plenty of wealthy english were going to America to make bigger fortune.
Wink
PennyLane
Titanic sank after it hit an iceberg. But if it was build like it was supposed to be, everybody had survived. Titanic sank because the watertight transverse bulkheads weren't closed at the top. They stopped like 10 cms from the top so all the water could go over them.
But eventhough it sank, more people should have been saved. Unfortunately they dicided to cut down on life rafts...
joostvane
A tragedy that should never have happened. I don't care about the ship that sunk, more about the people that were lost. Common, all about their 'undestroyable ship' crap, that should have placed more lifeboats.
Crinoid
Not my expression, found on the web, sounds something like this: Titanic was built by professionals, Noah's Arc - by amateur.
Thought to distract you a little Wink
Chinmoy
ya really sad. They made a movie on it too..
MeddlingMonk
Quote:
Titanic sank after it hit an iceberg. But if it was build like it was supposed to be, everybody had survived. Titanic sank because the watertight transverse bulkheads weren't closed at the top. They stopped like 10 cms from the top so all the water could go over them.
But eventhough it sank, more people should have been saved. Unfortunately they dicided to cut down on life rafts...

The sinking of the Titanic was one of the tragedies of the 20th Century. What makes it even more so is that there were many little things that could have changed the outcome; for example:
- There were insufficient lifeboats (due to regulations that required only sixteen for larger vessels) that weren't filled to maximum capacity during the sinking
- The Californian, a nearby vessel, did not respond until hours after the Titanic had submerged
- The officer on duty ordered the ship to turn to port, exposing the starboard side to the iceberg; one of the documentaries I have seen suggests that a direct head-on collision may not have compromised a sufficient number of watertight compartments for the Titantic to sink
- The icebergs that year were further south than usual and warnings did not reach the bridge

The watertight bulkheads, although they did not extend above E deck in some cases, apparently were instrumental in keeping the Titanic afloat for longer. The afore-mentioned documentary tested the scenario where the bulkheads weren't closed and their model rolled and sank in less time. The watertight bulkheads could have added as much as an hour to time the ship stayed afloat.
LostOverThere
imera wrote:

Actually, no-one with an qualification claimed that the Titanic was unsinkable until after it sunk. The first person to suggest it was unsinkable came 2 days after it hit the ice berg (or 1 day after it sunk).
Bikerman
LostOverThere wrote:
imera wrote:

Actually, no-one with an qualification claimed that the Titanic was unsinkable until after it sunk. The first person to suggest it was unsinkable came 2 days after it hit the ice berg (or 1 day after it sunk).

Not really true.
Taken from a 1910 publicity brochure from White Star lines
"...[Titanic and the Olympic]..these two wonderful vessels are designed to be unsinkable."

More information on this, and similar claims HERE
abcxyz1
A story of romantic yearning end for couples. I have seen this movie 4 times the historical accuracy of it I do not know much. Thank!
Solon_Poledourus
Pin3apple wrote:

Classic.
I'd like to see Pin3apple re-write history books. Seems you could boil 10,000 years down to about 3 pages doing it this way.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
Pin3apple wrote:

Classic.
I'd like to see Pin3apple re-write history books. Seems you could boil 10,000 years down to about 3 pages doing it this way.
Have a feeling he would not be interested in history, so possibly won't get past the first paragraph ... entertaining answer though Smile
Lady Elensar
Rocko wrote:

Well, I think 99% has seen this movie about the Titanic Think
supernova1987a
the 'unsinkable' titanic sank drowning 1517 people on its maiden voyage in the night of april 14 1912 after midnight.
Crying or Very sad
tukun2009manit
Rocko wrote:

Quote:
Titanic is a 1997 American romantic disaster film directed, written, co-produced and co-edited by James Cameron about the sinking of the RMS Titanic. It features Kate Winslet as Rose DeWitt Bukater, and Leonardo DiCaprio as Jack Dawson, two members of different social classes who fall in love aboard the ill-fated voyage of the ship. The main characters and the central love story are fictional, but some characters (such as members of the ship's crew) are based on real historical figures. Gloria Stuart plays the elderly Rose, who narrates the film in a modern day framing device.

Production of the film began in 1995, when Cameron shot footage of the real wreck of the RMS Titanic. He envisioned the love story as a means to engage the audience with the real-life tragedy. Shooting took place at the Akademik Mstislav Keldysh - which aided Cameron in filming the real wreck – for the modern scenes, and a reconstruction of the ship was built at Playas de Rosarito, Baja California. Cameron also used scale models and computer-generated imagery to recreate the sinking. Titanic became at the time the most expensive film ever made, costing approximately US$200 million with funding from Paramount Pictures and 20th Century Fox. Both studios were nearly bankrupted during production.

The film was originally to be released on July 2, 1997, but post-production delays pushed back the film's release to December 19, 1997. After this news broke, the news media believed that Titanic would fail and take Fox and Paramount with it. The film turned into an enormous critical and commercial success, winning eleven Academy Awards, including Best Picture. It became the highest-grossing film of all time, with a worldwide total of $1.8 billion (it is the sixth-highest grossing in North America once adjusted for inflation.)
matam
It is the best sad I ever heard.
slashnburn99
all down to cheap rivetts holding the ship together

the metal was an alloy and cheap at that

under pressure the weak ones snapped and let the water in
Chinmoy
lol, you seem to be emotionally attached to the ship. I hope you are not Jack resurrected! neways, the RMS titanic was a real luxury ship.
slashnburn99
Did you know there was a film called

Titanic 2

How is this possible and has anyone seen it
saratdear
slashnburn99 wrote:
Did you know there was a film called

Titanic 2

How is this possible and has anyone seen it

It's just a hoax - that was a fake trailer creatively stitched together by somebody...I must admit, it was very convincing.

As far as I know, there is no Titanic 2. However I hear it is going to come out in a 3D version in 2012.
agbor
Titanic story is a true life stiry because it really happened as told us by the Americans.. It was a very big ship if not the worlds biggest ship of our and old time yet the story still move crownd anywhere its been told. i just watch a movie on it abd bet me you got watch that movie if yiou haave not seen it.... its a lovely movie to behold and the love story that went with it is another world of its own. I only hated one part of the movie ie where people in their thiousand lost their lives... may their souls rest in peace. Amen
ujjawall
i am know some information about titanic ship Laughing Laughing Cool Cool
chuksfree
I only know about the Titanic from the movie but if it really happened the way they acted it in the movie, then it is a real tragedy. The movie was a really great movie. My most favourite movie.
ujjawall
MeddlingMonk wrote:
Quote:

The sinking of the Titanic was one of the tragedies of the 20th Century. What makes it even more so is that there were many little things that could have changed the outcome; for example:
- There were insufficient lifeboats (due to regulations that required only sixteen for larger vessels) that weren't filled to maximum capacity during the sinking
- The Californian, a nearby vessel, did not respond until hours after the Titanic had submerged
- The officer on duty ordered the ship to turn to port, exposing the starboard side to the iceberg; one of the documentaries I have seen suggests that a direct head-on collision may not have compromised a sufficient number of watertight compartments for the Titantic to sink
- The icebergs that year were further south than usual and warnings did not reach the bridge

The watertight bulkheads, although they did not extend above E deck in some cases, apparently were instrumental in keeping the Titanic afloat for longer. The afore-mentioned documentary tested the scenario where the bulkheads weren't closed and their model rolled and sank in less time. The watertight bulkheads could have added as much as an hour to time the ship stayed afloat.
Alerrandre
to much romantic to me lol,nice history.
LittleBlackKitten
Lesson of the century: Don't build a ship like an ice cube tray.

And, don't tell God even He can't sink a ship.
deanhills
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
And, don't tell God even He can't sink a ship.
Well, I don't think the owners told God that, but they did tell other people, and I thought that was crazy. How can one ever claim that a ship is indestructible? That was totally irresponsible. Also a pity about the shortage of life boats. Guess that ship was waiting for a disaster to happen it seems to have been thoroughly unprepared for one.
socceraggie
Has anyone ever heard about the Titanica story that was written in the 1800s. I think it was over 50 years before the Titanic sailed. The story is important because it describes a ship (the Titanica) that was the largest ship of its time and how it set sail. During its maiden voyage is sinks after hitting an iceberg. Pretty creepy stuff. I love stories like this and they are even more amazing when they are true.
deanhills
Wow! That is amazing. Do you have any links to the story? I tried a quickie search and of course there must be millions of Titanic links. I'd like to read more about the story. Smile
kharol_016
the movie was great!haha
milkshake01
I guess the builders of the Titanic were overconfident. I wonder how they felt when they heard that it sank.
zaxacongrejo
I believe that in what concerns to titanic and the sinking of it
was just to much for the time we didn’t had the complementary technologies that big ship like titanic request I meant build technologies, material, communications ,safety everything was bad or miss calculated because we weren’t prepared for such a big attempt , people can argue and the other similar ones , RMS Olympic , Britannic, they learned from titanic that’s why they had bigger life’s ,I’m a boat lover myself when I think in the name of titanic ,machine, I’m not speaking of the human tragedy, titanic machine only , its always like poor little baby that dies in this firsts days of life 4 I believe or 3 not sure, but like in all big accidents with boats or plains is never only thing that causes the tragedy but the conjunction of multiple things at the exact time, thats why evolution brought us simulators
Very Happy
testsoc
If you're interested in the technicalities of why and how she sunk, James Cameron and a large research team went into extraordinary detail in 'Titanic: The Final Word with James Cameron'. It's very technical, and ignores the human feeling a bit, but it does get into the nitty gritty.
zaxacongrejo
Quote:
The Final Word with James Cameron

hi and i know them all not only the titanic works he as a lot of sunk works

an i agree

Quote:
It's very technical, and ignores the human feeling a bit, but it does get into the nitty gritty.
enilsoncba
Rocko wrote:

All I know is that the great ship called Titanic was an Olympic class ocean liner built in Belfast, Northern Ireland. On the night of April 14, 1912, during its maiden voyage from England to New York, United States, collided with an iceberg in the Atlantic Ocean and sank two hours and forty minutes later, at dawn on April 15 . Until its launch in 1912, it was the largest passenger ship in the world.
With 2,240 people aboard, the sinking resulted in the deaths of 1,523 people, ranking it as one of the worst maritime disasters of all time. The Titanic came from some of the most advanced technologies available at the time and was popularly referred to as "unsinkable". It was a great shock to many the fact that, despite the advanced technology and experienced crew, the Titanic has sunk as not only caused great loss of life.
This tragic story was shown in the exhibition of the film Titanic, by James Cameron. Shown in late 1997 and throughout 1998, with record budget of $ 200 million, won 11 Oscars and enthralled audiences worldwide.