FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Replies to posts.





coreymanshack
So I get free hosting from you guys, and it's great.
One problem, noone ever replies to my posts.
I go and look at unanswered posts of me not being on in three or so weeks.
BAM SEVERAL pages of unanswered posts!

People are just taking advantage of the "if you have so many points you get to keep your hosting thing". I think I have a solution.

SOLUTION: Only reward points if you are replying to a post.

What do you guys think?

Also, why don't we upgrade to phpbb3 + add auto pruning to unanswered posts within so many days.

I'd love to keep my points count up, if people would reply to what I had to say.

Another thing, where are the most replies in this forum? I'd say in the "Hello World" forum. Because all these lazy people have to do, is say HI THERE NEW PERSON, and get points. How about we ban points from that particular forum?
truespeed
coreymanshack wrote:
So I get free hosting from you guys, and it's great.
One problem, noone ever replies to my posts.
I go and look at unanswered posts of me not being on in three or so weeks.
BAM SEVERAL pages of unanswered posts!

People are just taking advantage of the "if you have so many points you get to keep your hosting thing". I think I have a solution.

SOLUTION: Only reward points if you are replying to a post.

What do you guys think?


I think its easier to reply to a post than think of a topic starter,so why only get points for replying?


coreymanshack wrote:

Also, why don't we upgrade to phpbb3 + add auto pruning to unanswered posts within so many days.


According to Bondings,this forum has been heavily modded and coded,so the upgrade won't happen.


coreymanshack wrote:

Another thing, where are the most replies in this forum? I'd say in the "Hello World" forum. Because all these lazy people have to do, is say HI THERE NEW PERSON, and get points. How about we ban points from that particular forum?


If you mean the introductions forums,then points are already disabled in there.
deanhills
coreymanshack wrote:
So I get free hosting from you guys, and it's great.
One problem, noone ever replies to my posts.
I go and look at unanswered posts of me not being on in three or so weeks.
BAM SEVERAL pages of unanswered posts!


I don't understand that this is a problem? Think the rule generally is to reply to posts, and to only initiate a new thread after you have made a thorough search on Frihost to check whether there are already existing threads on the topic. As a result (and I think this is a very good way of doing it) people tend to reply to postings more than they would initiate new ones. Sort of effortless I think!
coreymanshack
You guys are just trying to shoot my suggestion down without looking at the evidence.
More people are starting retarded topics, and not replying to anything. I don't see how you get it's easier to reply. You actually have to read a topic to reply to one. To post one, lot's of people copy paste from some website.

I figured points were disabled in intro forum but i wasn't sure.

Heavily modded and coded eh? Sounds like someone not wanting to upgrade their OS to Vista because they have programs installed on it.

Deanhills: How many people do you think actually search for their topic before posting one? You guys act like I'm out to get frihost or something.
rvec
coreymanshack wrote:
Heavily modded and coded eh? Sounds like someone not wanting to upgrade their OS to Vista because they have programs installed on it.

It's not going to take just a couple of hours to convert.
This has been explained before, please search for that post if you want to know more. Also this already made it to the 'not to suggest' sticky.
coreymanshack wrote:

Deanhills: How many people do you think actually search for their topic before posting one?

You should've, because all your suggestions have been suggested before, except for the "Only reward points if you are replying to a post." one. Which sounds like a bad idea, because the first posts in a topic are usually the best.

From now on only post about that last suggestion and search for the other topics if you want to talk about those.
Hogwarts
coreymanshack wrote:
More people are starting retarded topics, and not replying to anything

To be honest, I'm finding you a tad hypocritical here.

Rvec wrote:
all your suggestions have been suggested before,

Not only have your *(not Rvec, coreymanshack)* ideas been suggested before, they're also on that fantastic "Things that you MUST not suggest" list.

Hence,
Things that you MUST not suggest wrote:
21) Upgrading to phpBB3


coreymanshack wrote:
upgrade their OS to Vista

It might be an upgrade if you were previously using Mac OS, and ONLY Mac OS, but that's stretching it already Wink

Having the first posts in topics worth nothing is a really poor idea. Personally, I think it would be much better to remove the points gained from posts in a topic if it's locked or such, therefore preventing low quality topics (like this one, for example) from being of any benefit to the authors of the posts within it.
deanhills
coreymanshack wrote:
Deanhills: How many people do you think actually search for their topic before posting one? You guys act like I'm out to get frihost or something.


Sorry you feel that way, but it was not meant like that. I just go with spontaneous observations. Think yours were also spontaneous. Remember, people initially only post because they want free Website space, and not all people who need free Website space are experienced Forum writers. They come from a very wide spectrum of people all over the world, and from different cultures and backgrounds, which in a way is the beauty of it all as well. So you have to cut them some slack! At the same time you are right of course. There has to be some standards as well. I think we have both.

I don't know how many people search for their topic before they post one. Perhaps some of the real novices don't. Think however I can live with that as I actually enjoy some of those postings.

Perhaps one way of working around it is to get a script to search the topic of the new thread heading while it is being typed, and if it were to pick up on an already existing heading, to come up with a message with a link to that posting?
ocalhoun
I'd want to encourage new topics as much as possible, not discourage them...

They're the food of the forum; old topics have to stagnate and die eventually, or they'll get horribly boring; the new topics coming in to replace them keep it interesting. Sure, some of the new ones are junk, and while not spam, they're not worth replying to. But it will always be that way; look within each topic, and you'll find posts that aren't worth reading either, but they can be tolerated for the sake of those that are. Besides, if a topic is to boring for anyone to reply to, then it will soon find its way to the bottom of the list to be conveniently forgotten (until some new member digs it up three years later ^.^).
coreymanshack
Once again, I didn't know that the sticky "What not to suggest" existed. I didn't read the whole forum before posting my suggestions. I remember a payed option being suggested, but I thought I'd bring it back in another one of my posts, also I now realize, none of you here like change, and frihost is going to stay the way it is. So what's the point of this forum? Especially when you have a "what not to suggest" sticky. I'd like both of my topics locked and I'll just go back to doing what I do.

Deanhills: I like that suggestion. That is pro.

I should've read the stickies before posting.
truespeed
coreymanshack wrote:
none of you here like change, and frihost is going to stay the way it is. So what's the point of this forum? Especially when you have a "what not to suggest" sticky. I'd like both of my topics locked and I'll just go back to doing what I do.


Frihost forums are far from perfect,i think the people who frequent the boards on a regular basis would like change, i myself have been coming on here for 2 years and very few of the suggested topics (even the good ones) have ever been implemented. So its not the most dynamic or innovative forum,when it could be.

Yes its a frustrating forum to post on at times as you know most replies and starter topics posted, are done so for points and points alone,how that can be changed i am not sure,more mods possibly to cut down on the spam.

As for the unaswered posts,i guess it depends on what forum you post in,some forums are more active than others.

Your not the first person to get a negative reaction to a suggestion,you shouldn't take it so personally.
Ghost Rider103
I don't think you realize how huge the impact is on this forum when they change one small thing. People are extremely picky. For example, if Bondings decides to change one of the blue shades on this forum to a yellow, people will actually leave this website because they do not like the way it looks. That's just an example, but it works with just about everything.

You say to disable points for people starting new topics, which if you honestly think about it, is a terrible idea. The new topics on this forum would drastically decrease. If we have that, then our post count will also discount. With decreased amount of topics coming in, people will get bored of the current ones, and wonder off to another website to find some other interesting topic. Noobs post a lot of threads. Sometimes they are not the greatest, however some post very interesting topics. If you disable points for thread starters, we just lost a bunch of new topics from noobs. The same goes with people who have been here for a long time, but only because of hosting.

I actually use the search function, and it is actually very handy in some situations. Say your computer had some kind of problem. Lets say out of nowhere your computer gets this blue screen, and then automatically restarts itself once you get the blue screen. (BSOD = Blue Screen of Death/Doom). Do you really want to start a new topic asking about what it could possibly be? If you think about it, the most logical and quickest way to get your answer, is to use the search function. Now if nothing comes up, then you start your new topic and wait for a reply, while probably searching on Google at the same time.

If you disagree still, then just take a look at this link: <-- really long page breaking url made into a link by rvec-->

Maybe you'll use the search function next time Wink

Most of us want change, especially in the design of Frihost. However some people like this simple look of the forums, and that is what keeps some of the people here at Frihost. Which is probably one of the reasons Bondings does not take action right away to change the looks, in fear of loosing members.

So really, you think disabling points to thread starters is a solution to your problem (people not replying to your threads) but logically, this will actually make it worse in possible loss of members. You might get spam from noobs, but that probably isn't what your looking for.

I think bringing suggestions back is fine, sometimes that is what is needed to make a change, and to restart the discussion with new ideas. Kind of like the re design thread of Frihost. There was MANY of those threads, however someone suggested it AGAIN and it really took off, and it got pretty damn far, and I actually thought we were going to get somewhere. But I think the mods are doing fine with letting some of them slide for this exact reason.

Maybe you'll use the search function next time, maybe not. Suggestions are good, change isn't always for the best.[/quote]
coreymanshack
I see your point, but we are only talking in theory here not practice. I guess we should go by theory. On the design thing, why not have an option of themes to use on the home page, that sets a cookie to which theme you want to use.
ocalhoun
coreymanshack wrote:
I see your point, but we are only talking in theory here not practice. I guess we should go by theory. On the design thing, why not have an option of themes to use on the home page, that sets a cookie to which theme you want to use.

Because that means that many of the modifications made to the Frihost forums would have to be coded all over again for each additional theme made available, for one thing.
coreymanshack
ocalhoun wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
I see your point, but we are only talking in theory here not practice. I guess we should go by theory. On the design thing, why not have an option of themes to use on the home page, that sets a cookie to which theme you want to use.

Because that means that many of the modifications made to the Frihost forums would have to be coded all over again for each additional theme made available, for one thing.


That means the mod's weren't programmed right the way i see it >.>, they should have used template functions.
Hogwarts
coreymanshack wrote:
That means the mod's weren't programmed right the way i see it >.>, they should have used template functions.


Mods are fine, phpBB is at fault there Sad

Edit: I'm going to ignore your troll, Deanhills.
deanhills
Ghostrider, thanks for the excellent posting. Lots of good insights for me.

Hogwarts wrote:
Mods are fine, phpBB is at fault there Sad


Sorry, I am a little dim with the technical jargon Hogwarts, but am trying to follow the thread. What does phpBB mean? Also how is it at fault?
rvec
deanhills: scroll down to the Powered by part Wink


Adding new themes is not going to happen. Bondings is working on a new theme (for a while now) and at least while he's doing that no other themes will be used. Also bondings wants to only use his own code.
If that theme is done there is no need in keeping the current, so there'll always be only one theme.
TomS
deanhills wrote:
Ghostrider, thanks for the excellent posting. Lots of good insights for me.

Hogwarts wrote:
Mods are fine, phpBB is at fault there Sad


Sorry, I am a little dim with the technical jargon Hogwarts, but am trying to follow the thread. What does phpBB mean? Also how is it at fault?


phpBB is the bulletin-board-software frihost is using.
I think "at fault" means, that phpBB as it, is not a good system (actually it is, but quite simple without an overload of features, but not suitable for a service like frihost). At least phpBB2 which is the version used on frihost. phpBB3 has lots of new features , so that you need less mods on your board.
deanhills
TomS wrote:
phpBB3 has lots of new features , so that you need less mods on your board.


Are they automated features? Does that mean greater automation and automated messages? One of the "features" I really like about Frihost is mods helping where they can, posters helping where they can. No automatic spam or pop-up ads floating around. Also no automated messages, people have time for other people in a relaxed way, it is that kind of environment. The greater the control in software, perhaps some of the special ambience will be lost?
TomS
Ofcourse they are extensions of the software. No software, no captcha, no automated postcheck can replace a good moderator in the forum.

Mod is ofcourse a moderator, but also a modification of the software. You'll know from the context Wink
rvec
-close-
we won't upgrade to phpBB3
if you want to know more about phpbb2 or 3 google a bit or ask in the websoftware forum.
If there where still some suggestions left I mistook for shot-down Razz, you may make a new topic, but please make one topic per suggestion.
Related topics
Clancpu
phpBB3, how many times the thread was viewed
See num of views/replies in User CP about our latest posts
Delete all over 3 week old posts
How to Make Good Posts
Posting Guidelines / Guidelines to Make Quality Posts
Resetting replies
View All Posts
Locked Posts
What determines the amount of posts there are in a thread?
Why do people start topics and/or post replies here?
Do people actually read posts or just reply to get points?
Everyone Just Posts For Points
TRADE - New Posts/Threads (Post exchanging)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.