FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are you a really good reader? i mean can read perfectly!

Did you understood the whole paragraph?
yes!
78%
 78%  [ 37 ]
no!
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
maybe!
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
a little!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
talves!
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
i guess!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
not really!
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
most of it!
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
let me think!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
i don't wanna answer!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
it was prety confusing!
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 47

orellanco
While creating a new web page
i founded this info that i thought it was really interesting to understand

well read this and then vote?

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.
deanhills
Perhaps this was translated from another language using automatic translation software?
sana618
orellanco wrote:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

"According to a research at an English University, it does'nt (does not) matter in what order the letters
in a word are, the only important thing is that first and last letter is at the right place. The rest can be a total mess and you can still read it without problem. This is because we do not read every letter by itself but the word as a whole."

i hope i've got that correctly, because my english and its grammer- especially the puncuations marks are very bad. sorry about the spelling mistakes too.

i think whatever it is said in this paragraph is true because most of the time we read the word as a whole but then again in english the same word can give a different meaning if put in a different way grammatically speaking. it happens with me most of the time.
SonLight
It would be wise to specify a source for the information you found, and quote it. It appears on snopes.com, anong many other places:

http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/cambridge.asp

They mention that the idea has been kicking around since 2003, and were unable to determine if the claim about the research is accurate, although they acknowledge that the claim of legibility seems to be accurate. I believe an example of the same phenomenon was posted on Frihost a while back, although I'm not sure where. Incidentally, the ch is duplicated in the word "rscheearch". I think that did throw me off a bit when I first looked at it.

I would be interested in knowing if non-native English speakers find this legible, and also does the phenomenon occur in other languages.
hamza1122
Haha.. i got an email about this a while ago and it is true. I read the whole paragraph fluently.Pretty cool!
Keran
I think it's pretty old, I remember reading this somewhere a while back. I found it then, quite interesting and now that I think about it, I suppose it's true, because all of the kids on the Internet tend to write like this and we somehow are able to understand them...
orellanco
the info came within a software i got
so i wasn't able to to put a source from where it came (if i had it would have been from my own website and like in someother sites, advertisement its not allowed ) anyway
i think everyone is right about this paragraph in someway
i mean is just an opinion, there arent' any dumb ideas

but if i were to ask all of you to translate this sentences, could anybody do it
okay here it goes

tu podrias serle infiel a tu futura esposa undia antes de laboda?

so can anyone can translate this?
Afaceinthematrix
orellanco wrote:

tu podrias serle infiel a tu futura esposa undia antes de laboda?
so can anyone can translate this?

It should be: ?Tu podrias serle infiel a tu futura esposa un dia antes de la boda?

It's a little hard to translate directly, but it basically says, "You may be unfaithful to your future wife a day before the wedding?" The "You may be" isn't directly translated... but the rest of the sentence of fairly straight forward translating.
Rosabelle
I've gotten an email about this, with the same paragraph. =] It's pretty cool, I must admit, since I was able to read the whole thing.
orellanco
hey Afaceinthematrix are you latino or something?
cause i am
anyway ur kinda right
and about the spaces, well since i only right in english and talk too
i've forgotten the much of my spanish
where the commas and space go
mostly forgotten

and about the translation
i think the correctly is
could you be unfaithful to your future wife, one day before the wedding?"
Afaceinthematrix
^^No, I'm a "gringo." I'm not a Latino. But I grew up in Southern California pretty close to the border of Mexico, so about 65%-70% of the population at my school was Hispanic. So I learned a decent amount of Spanish from simply being around it a lot. Most people around those parts spoke Spanish. I had a lot of friends that spoke Spanish. I'm not fluent or anything, but I can generally get by. If I see or hear a sentence, I can generally get the gist of what the person is saying and most of the time when I speak it, I can get my idea across.
orellanco
hahaha Very Happy
by the way u say it (gringo) sounds funny
i wasn't trying to be racist or anything like it
just its nice to know that there are still people who have awesome spirit inside of them
i'm from "el salvador" came here three years ago
at first i couldn't understand any english it was hard
but now thats like my main language
i'm also taking latin and afrench
hope one day i can speak all of them right and don't forget any of my spanish
now i leave in richmond
lots of friends i got here
ur country is awesome dude
Nick2008
I was albe to raed the wolhe tihng. Smile
orellanco
yaeh me too
jsut by looknig at it
not taht hrad i tuohgt
carlospro7
Elgisnh is not my fsrit lguagnae, ssipnah is, but I was albe to raed the praargaph jsut fnie woohoo. Very Happy
SpellcasterDX
Pretty much everyone I know can read that. And of course I myself can read it. So I don't think that thing really proves if you're a "good" reader...

Although I think I'm a pretty fast reader too.
crimson_aria
oh I received this from a friend through a text message months ago. same as everyone, I can read it too.
[FuN]goku
Seen this on my old gaming clan's forums. Hehe. I think most people can read it.
orellanco
yaeh i tinhk so too
but some people just might confuse the letters with something else cause its like puzzles
how about music
when u listen to a song can u alwasy identify what the artist is saying
for example rock
when u listen to hard rock can you really understand everyword the artist screams out? Exclamation
standready
I understood the paragraph but it did slow me down abit on reading. Your poll title "Did you understood the whole paragraph?" slowed me down even more. Understand
orellanco
what you mean
or you saying that you don't know what understood means come on
that slowed you down
sure!!!!!!
biljap
Yes! I managed to read it all without a problem! Smile
Interesting.
I read one or two words slower than I would usually but still... Wink
tony
My vote is for confusing. I don't get that question! haha. but I do like the many many options!!

Hey - I can read the question. Is it good enough? Razz
keane
I read the whole paragraph correctly. It isn't really hard to read... The researchers are right.
Prasad007
It's not about whether you're a good reader or not. Almost every educated person well versed in English with the ability to read and write in English would/should be able to read and*decipher* that. Wink
ankitdatashn
Yes I was able to read whole of it, although have seen this paragraph about a year back on Orkut and that time too was able to derive its meaning.

I wonder sometimes the way our brain works, simply awesom machine God has made. I like these kind of facts and discoveries in research.

Ahh if the research says so I wonder why all the teachers empasize their students to practice spelling the words correctly!!, haha
orellanco
yeah
but you all know that sometimes the main question asked is just a bait to atrack people to it
the fun part is reading all the differents thoughts different people have about the subject
is just funny that sometimes people even fight about something that is not worth of
thats the fun part knowing that all our minds work different therefore we all will have to try to make our own opinion the best which eventually lets to stupidity and ignorance

http://www.strickenz.net46.net/new%20west/PHPizabi_0.848b_C1%20HFP1/PHPizabi%200.848b%20C1/
Moshkin_Khan
Yeahh, I've had this email a while ago and seen it in quite a few places. Interesting how the brain works eh. Wonder how much time they actually put into researching that, and who thought, lets jumble up words and see if people can read it.
deanhills
Quote:
orellanco wrote:

Was thinking about this while I was reading a number of posts everywhere, not only in Frihost, but everywhere on the Internet by people with English as a second language, or people who can't type perhaps, or really write, and admiring their efforts. It sometimes takes some getting used to the different English that we have to read, as the Internet is truly global in nature, and people who do not have to write under their own names are enthusiastic to post. Perhaps the people who did their research into this may take the impact of the Internet on the ability to read any form of English into consideration. As the ability to decipher strange variations of English, must have an influence on people's ability to read any form of English.
PatTheGreat42
I have a pretty high reading level. Yeah, I can handle technical journals. No big.
jsarnold
I came across this a few years ago. It's certainly interesting because pretty well anyone can read it no problem.

There's some software out there somewhere which allows you to enter your own text and have it scrambled in this way.
polly-gone
That was really easy to read, but then again I have a 98th percentile IQ and when I was in fifth grade I have the reading skills of a 12th grader, so maybe that is just me.

I think that it is true though because I can read just about anything, even if the grammar is an atrocity.

-Nick Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
ninjakannon
Let's be honest, this is years and years old. In fact, when I read orellanco's post I expected this whole thread to be spam.

However, I have something interesting to add. I've found that it's not only that the first and last letters of a word need be in the same place, with the others jumbled. Personally, I find that if I read a new (to me) or less frequent word that begins and ends with the same characters as another more frequent word I know that is of similar length then I will commonly read it as that more frequent word.
honestdom
polly-gone wrote:
That was really easy to read, but then again I have a 98th percentile IQ and when I was in fifth grade I have the reading skills of a 12th grader, so maybe that is just me.

I think that it is true though because I can read just about anything, even if the grammar is an atrocity.

LOL! are you serious? sorry i'm new here.
andredesignz
i hate reading out to pple but for my self am a good reader
orellanco
man where did all this geek people came from
with all the technical talk making something short a big crap
come on people!
jsarnold
Wow - I understood the original 'scrambled' post no problem - but that last post had me stumped!
Dean_The_Great
I've seen this a bunch of times, and it amazes me every time! Almost everyone I know can read it, only once have I shown it to someone who couldn't quickly. Amazing power of the brain
chatrack
It is an amaizing fact that was reveled, reading this thread.

I could read it! But a child may not read it.
Crinoid
Voted for "It was confusing" (voting options). While I can read really good and fast, usually I'm oriented to catch meaning of the whole text (too much useless information, have to evaluate it as a first step in the reading), so in voting it will be option "the most of paragraph" Smile

Automatic translation from/to Spanish, in my humble experience:
From English it is much worse as to English. For me, automatic translation from most languages to English is good enough to understand and use translated information. Opposite way was frequently not comprehensible for Spanish speaking people.
Another thing: if the individual reading wants to understand Laughing
HamsterMan
Yeah no prop, and I'm a swedish talking finn.
catscratches
I wonder if it's different for people with dyslexia.
HamsterMan
catscratches wrote:

Considering dyslexia is an umbrella term for all kinds of reading and writing and spelling difficulties there is no way to really tell.
VomiT
That was pretty easy to read.

It's nice how our brains can work out what the words are, because weve learnt the words in our life time we know what they look like.
No machine will be as complex as us humans, at the moment there nowhere near.
sondosia
Hehe, I've seen that so many times that even if I hadn't been able to read it the first time, I would've figured it out by now. =)
ptfrances
I think I am a good reader but not in english and not a perfect one.
Wink
Ghost900
I read it without any issues but the problem is that when I read I find myself reading words that are different than what is actually on the page.

Its odd how we do read, seems we just scan it and the brain makes sense of it. Very Happy
Melacos
The reason we're able to 'read' stuff like that (and anything else for that matter) is that we recognize figures instead of actually spelling us through a word. We instantly link a certain visual impression with an already established cognitive schema.

That's kinda inherent in the human nature; abstractions on whatever surrounds us, and not least in communication this becomes clear.
ProfessorY91
This is everywhere.

I believe that the research was done at Cambridge.
skygaia
I like reading books, megazines and any articles on line. And I think I have read several books a month.
However, sometimes I couldn't concentrate on them. At that time, I was just reading them as if it's just a kind of my habbit.
ninjakannon
catscratches wrote:

I have mild dyslexia and I do not find it tricky. However, as HamsterMan says, dyslexia covers a wide spectrum of people so I cannot say that the most affected would be the same as me.

Also, @skygaia post on topic next time, would you?
PatTheGreat42
I just want to know what kind of researcher comes up with this? Was the idea sparked by a two year old playing around with some blocks? Pretty cool though.
stel4e
Yeah, I have read this somewhere and liked it a lot. It's really interesting phenomenon. Human's mind is something really unexplainable.
Moshkin_Khan
Yeahh, I've seen this a while ago, it must have been kicking around for a while. Wonder what researcher thought to jumble up words and read them, must be a fun job coming up with random things to do like that.