FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Game Mode

snowboardalliance
Is there some kind of software that will let you close certain applications before you start a game and then reopen them after? Like if I have a bunch of applications I like to have always running but I want to close them for a game (say google desktop, aim, etc.). Or can this be done with simple batch files?
Faraz
For closing applications, this might do the job. I didn't test it though...

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Close-Application.shtml
ocalhoun
snowboardalliance wrote:
Or can this be done with simple batch files?

Possibly... I know linux has command line ability to stop programs, but I don't know if windows does as well... In any case, a batch file (or something similar) could probably be used to start them back up again easily.

Have you considered dual boot as a way of doing it? It would make for a slow transition between modes, but it would work nicely.
snowboardalliance
Faraz wrote:
For closing applications, this might do the job. I didn't test it though...

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Close-Application.shtml

Ok, nothing like that is built in to vista right? I guess I could use this and two batch files.

Thanks!
Diablosblizz
You can have a batch file that closes the programs required, then opens the game (perhaps after user interaction - which is used by putting in pause in the batch file) then you have it wait for the game to close, then automatically make it wait again for user interaction then reopen those programs.

Although, depending on how many programs, it could lag your computer severely.
sheedatali
Would'nt be a good idea to add your programs to autostart (user based, not as services since they run regardless as what user you are logged in as), Now create another user on your system that your use for gaming. Logout of the normal user and login as gaming user. This will close all the application that you do not want running (you can probably have game autostarted too when you login as gaming user). Once you are done with gaming, just logout and log backin as normal user which will start your required apps. Just an idea, however if you can write batch file and make it work as suggested by previous poster then that would be easier than this.
snowboardalliance
sheedatali wrote:
Would'nt be a good idea to add your programs to autostart (user based, not as services since they run regardless as what user you are logged in as), Now create another user on your system that your use for gaming. Logout of the normal user and login as gaming user. This will close all the application that you do not want running (you can probably have game autostarted too when you login as gaming user). Once you are done with gaming, just logout and log backin as normal user which will start your required apps. Just an idea, however if you can write batch file and make it work as suggested by previous poster then that would be easier than this.

Interesting point, the batch file seems to be working so far though. Thanks everyone
Flakky
I'm not sure but maybe a better method is using a program written by BillP at http://www.taskcatcher.com/
Kelcey
Yeah I'm sure you could write a script to handle it. You'd have to be careful which processes you close though since process ids change. But it's most certainly possible with a script.