FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Interesting Junk E-mail from..... me?

Aredon
So over the past few months (since we moved to S3 actually come to think of it) I've been getting a lot of really unwanted junk mail. The curious thing however, is that it arrives with my e-mail address on it. Now, clearly I have not sent these things to myself. This wouldn't be a problem ordinarily but, it seems a bit silly to block my own e-mail address when I know it isn't coming from me.

It should be noted that I'm using windows live mail to receive my e-mails right now. So I understand if it's a problem with the program. Just let me know any incite on how I might stop these.... fairly distasteful e-mails.
Bondings
Aredon wrote:
So over the past few months (since we moved to S3 actually come to think of it) I've been getting a lot of really unwanted junk mail. The curious thing however, is that it arrives with my e-mail address on it. Now, clearly I have not sent these things to myself. This wouldn't be a problem ordinarily but, it seems a bit silly to block my own e-mail address when I know it isn't coming from me.

It should be noted that I'm using windows live mail to receive my e-mails right now. So I understand if it's a problem with the program. Just let me know any incite on how I might stop these.... fairly distasteful e-mails.

It's very easy to spoof an email address, so maybe they are sending spam to you using your own email address.
Aredon
Well is there a way I could block the IP address of said mail, or am I stuck getting spam e-mail from my evil twin?

edit: actually now it seems that whoever it is is having problems:
Quote:
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its
recipients after more than 24 hours on the queue on host.frih.org.

The message identifier is: 1LJHQS-000PzY-Qo
The subject of the message is: [edited for vile-ness]
The date of the message is: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 02:05:10 +0100

The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:

save to /home/aredon/.spamassassin/user_spam/hunteroriginal@clanhunter.frih.net
generated by hunteroriginal@clanhunter.frih.net

No action is required on your part. Delivery attempts will continue for
some time, and this warning may be repeated at intervals if the message
remains undelivered. Eventually the mail delivery software will give up,
and when that happens, the message will be returned to you.

I now have several of these in my inbox, and they appear to be errors from the mystery sender.
Bondings
Oh it's probably an error from the spam filter.
Aredon
Well these are a new development. The other messages I had been getting were really stupid innuendos used to advertise what I can only surmise is some sort of "enhancement" drug. The new error messages just have the same titles as the mail I had been getting. (edited out in red in prior post)

The error is almost worded like I tried to send it to myself and my own filter blocked it...