FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Storing Files Off Line

Possum
Hi

What is the best way (or service) to store your files off line for back up purposes

Cheers Possum..
Agent ME
Burn them to a cd or copy them to an external hard drive. If you need the backup to last for a long time, consider using gold-backed cd/dvd-r disks, which last significantly longer (estimated as centuries longer) than cheap burnable disks. (Just google "gold archive dvd-r" or so to find places to order them.)
badai
make sure you have at least 3 copies of backup, and once every few years verify all data in all copies.
deanhills
I have a portable USB external hard disk - Verbatim with capacity of 160 GB. I back up everything on it, and keep it in a separate place from where my computer is. The portable hard disk comes with its own software and it is effortless to make back-ups.

More information on the hard disk is available at the URL below:
http://www.verbatim.com/products/detail.cfm?product_id=838AE0E6-1143-3415-5F7348368A31C920&cat_id=8D8C8395-1143-3415-5F6F85D8CA9FACD3
Aredon
Agreed, best way in my honest opinion is an external hard drive. I use a Western Digital Passport myself Smile.

http://www.newegg.com would be the best place to find one.
Ghost Rider103
Yeah external hard drive would be the best. However I use DVD's to save all my important files.

I also have a laptop that I keep my important files on as well, so I have two different back ups of all of my files.
Possum
Would you recommend an online service?
Aredon
Actually no I wouldn't recommend an online service. Mostly because someone else is keeping track of your data. Hard copies that you have with you are always better in my opinion because you know what is going on with your data. I've used online sources before and had problems with data loss or corruption. Best to just keep a few hard copies.
ocalhoun
Aredon wrote:
Actually no I wouldn't recommend an online service. Mostly because someone else is keeping track of your data. Hard copies that you have with you are always better in my opinion because you know what is going on with your data. I've used online sources before and had problems with data loss or corruption. Best to just keep a few hard copies.

Only IF you can keep them in separate locations... having 3 copies of the files in your room won't help if your house burns down.

Online backups are a fine way to do things, if you have plenty of bandwidth to spare. I'd personally recommend one of the several places that will offer unlimited web hosting space for a low (yearly) price. Then, you can upload as much as you need to, and they are reasonably reliable. (No more likely to loose it than your own computer.)
Aredon
ocalhoun wrote:
Only IF you can keep them in separate locations... having 3 copies of the files in your room won't help if your house burns down.

If your house burns down something tells me data loss is the least of your worries. Cool
ocalhoun
Aredon wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

If your house burns down something tells me data loss is the least of your worries. Cool

Depends what kind of data you have, and if you're going to plan for contingencies anyway by making backups, you might as well plan for all contingencies.
(An example of data worth taking elaborate precautions for would be a database of all the clients of your home business. Insurance can cover material losses, but that list of people can't be replaced easily.)
Gonzalo
Burn, burn it all and safekeeep them.
PatTheGreat42
Best solution for offline storage is to buy a portable harddrive, back up your computer every once in a while, and then store it at a friend's house. That way if your house blows up, it'll be safe. Just re-backup every once in a while.
jmlworld
I am always too lazy to buck up. My computer has three hard drivers two of them are installed as slaves and I copy all the non-active data in there.

I have external Hard disk too, but I use it once-in-a-lifetime. However, I would recommend everyone to use gold coated DVD-R as suggested above and it would be nice if you make it 3 copies and safe them in different locations such as 1 copy in friends house, another copy at office and another one at home. That would be perfect.

ocalhoun wrote:

I heard there's fireproof/waterproof hard disk, if its true, someone may use it.
deanhills
jmlworld wrote:
I am always too lazy to buck up. My computer has three hard drivers two of them are installed as slaves and I copy all the non-active data in there.

Wow! I would do a back up as fast as possible, if they are important to you, maybe they are materials you can live without? Think the materials I value most are Websites and databases. I also have a number of templates, clip art, but almost always put them on CDs and DVDs depending on what the size of the project is. Anyway, I love my external hard disk and feel much better for the back-up. I have been caught with viruses at home twice, in spite of having Norton Virus (I am now on Kaspersky) and it is nice to be able to have the back-up. When I transferred from an old to new computer a few months ago, it was effortless to set the new computer up from scratch.
goniagara
I use external and/or portable hard drives and maintain 2 copies of everything.
jmlworld
deanhills wrote:
jmlworld wrote:

Wow! I would do a back up as fast as possible, if they are important to you, maybe they are materials you can live without?

Yes! They are important to me since I'm one-click away from backup... I store website/database backups and other software I developed or some other works like graphics, etc...

Backup is vital these days since many computers crash everyday.
carlospro7
Definitely, as some have suggested, stored files in an external hard drive is the best way to store your files off line. Of course keep a backup of those files in another drive.
poppat
A lot of people are saying use an external hard drive. Over the past 6 years I have had two hard drives break on me, one was external and I could only recover files from one of them because the other one had a problem too serious to do anything with. I would always burn to disk, in fact to several disks and make lots of copies. Every year make a new copy of all of your disks just in case the old ones start to wear out.

Cheers poppat
Kaseas
Portable hard drive enclosures are key.
bonestorm74
I have a couple of backup procedures I guess, all informal. Firstly I archive to DVD. This is so that I don't have to cram everything onto external hard drives. Once the DVDs are placed on a spindle they can be stored away and take up very little space.

Secondly are the external hard drives, these are used for data that I use more often and have more of a requirement on a regular basis. This saves me digging out the DVDs and searching through them one by one for what I want.

Also I have portable USB thumb drives for smaller data that I also use regularly.

Finally I have several PCs in the house, and important data I will tend to double up between PCs. So PC1 has photos, home movies etc and so does PC2. This way, if one crashes, the other still has the data there for me to retrieve.
airh3ad
I used my external hard drives to back up my data and the others i burn it to dvd its very safe i have online ftp site to save also .may i ask about this i mean i have 3 question regarding online and offline backup :
1. Is the content will be the same between an offline backup and if I'm using Whole Database Online + redo log backup - assume we do the backup in the same day and same hour -Will I lose some directory or file system if I use online backup?
2. Since I'm using Whole Database Online + redo log backup, is the restore procedure is the same as restore from offline backup?
2. What is the different between Whole Database Online + redo log backup and Full Database Online + redo log backup?
Using TSM in our company!
Zombie
you should use a backup hard drive, theyre portable and store large amounts of data
Jaan
Try a 16gb flash drive or an external hard drive... the best ones are by Buffalo, either the Shinobi or TurboUSB ones are very nice and at a great price... for cheap prices try beatmyprice.com
cheers, thats all there is to it
tony
Possum wrote:
Hi

What is the best way (or service) to store your files off line for back up purposes

Cheers Possum..

I use a big external hard drive; hasn't failed me yet. And works every time!

YOu can also go optical, or use flash, but optical is more of a hassle and flash is pricey.
Alton_gary
If your burner program can do it, have it verify data after writing. That way you'll be sure what's on the disk is a good copy.