FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Internet Explorer: Can't handle ACID Test?

Diablosblizz
I found it quite hilarious when Internet Explorer 7 couldn't handle the latest ACID test which can be found here: http://acid2.acidtests.org/#top. If you view the site with Firefox (Version 3.05 for me) it works perfectly fine, but if you view it in Internet Explorer 7, it looks completely messed up. Oh, and if you hover over the nose it should turn blue.

Tell me what you get, I get something messed for IE7.
Arty
Internet Explorer can't pass the acid2 test. They're working on IE8 right now, which can, but IE8 is even worse and bulkier than IE7.

I'm on google chrome right now, and even google chrome passes the acid2 test. Very Happy
the_one111
Heh yep, looks perfect in Firefox 3, but all muddled up in IE7 - Just another reason to use Firefox/Chrome I suppose. Cool
wab11287
Ive always used firefox since its come out and never looked back. Now that google chrome has come out I have been interested in that and at the same time a little scared to try it out. I have firefox so customized to my own needs that I dont really want to even giver another web browser a chance. Anyone here try out google chrome and find it better then firefox? One thing I do know about firefox which Im not sure about google chrome is that it is a big resource hog on the computer when you are using it. I might have to look into google chrome to see what type of resources it uses up when in use.
mOrpheuS
Diablosblizz wrote:
I found it quite hilarious when Internet Explorer 7 couldn't handle the latest ACID test which can be found here: http://acid2.acidtests.org/#top. If you view the site with Firefox (Version 3.05 for me) it works perfectly fine, but if you view it in Internet Explorer 7, it looks completely messed up. Oh, and if you hover over the nose it should turn blue.

Tell me what you get, I get something messed for IE7.

Aren't you rather late in noticing/discussing this ? By more than 2 years ? Confused

Also, IE8's beta build passed Acid2 test - more than an year ago.

Admittedly, passing standards tests created by a non-governing body isn't really high on the IE dev team's priority list.
Chris65536
Quote:
I'm on google chrome right now, and even google chrome passes the acid2 test.

You sure? I get 2 black bricks and a yellow and red line in Chrome...

Incidentally: how do they decide on the test? If most browsers render it differently, then what are they using as a benchmark?
chartcentral
Internet Explorer still has a lot to catch up in adapting web standards, and passing the Acid tests. Smile
jeremyp
ACID2?

We're on ACID3 now.

http://acid3.acidtests.org/
Agent ME
I never liked the idea of the ACID tests - it tests the browser on how it renders something that doesn't follow standards at all (by that I mean the code doesn't validate under any standard). Is there supposed to be a standard way to render unstandard markup code? I usually could care less about rendering that and more about a browser supporting newer standards like CSS3.
mOrpheuS
Agent ME wrote:
I never liked the idea of the ACID tests - it tests the browser on how it renders something that doesn't follow standards at all (by that I mean the code doesn't validate under any standard). Is there supposed to be a standard way to render unstandard markup code? I usually could care less about rendering that and more about a browser supporting newer standards like CSS3.

Precisely,

Infact Acid 2 was created with the very purpose of failing on IE7 -
Quote:
Although Acid2 was inspired by Microsoft’s announcement of IE7, it is not targeted at a specific browser. We believe Acid2 will highlight problems in all current browsers.
- Acid 2 guided tour
No browser passed it at that time. Browsers with leaner development cycles were able to quickly release versions that did - IE did not (and imo, should not) release another version with the sole purpose of passing a non-standard standards test.

So when someone
Quote:
found it quite hilarious when Internet Explorer 7 couldn't handle the latest ACID test
, it probably hasn't much merit.
Josso
I'm using a portable version of 3.0.1 at the moment and it's 100% correct.

(Also, interestingly - we still have IE6 at college for some reason. A mate of mine just tried to page and it didn't even open. It tried to download the file for some reason)
Flakky
I see the possibility for IE8 to check whether it's the acid page and then display the correct image out of it's memory Razz
Josso
Flakky wrote:
I see the possibility for IE8 to check whether it's the acid page and then display the correct image out of it's memory Razz

Bit of a Microsoft conspiracy there.
mOrpheuS
Josso wrote:
Flakky wrote:

Eh ? really ? I would have thought that was a joke Confused
Unless, ofcourse, you were joking too.
surdy
I did not see any tests on IE7 or IE8 beta ....and I don't think I need to
I think i can't waste my time and effort into seeing if IE is good or not when I know Firefox is excellent.
misterXY
wab11287 wrote:
Ive always used firefox since its come out and never looked back. Now that google chrome has come out I have been interested in that and at the same time a little scared to try it out. I have firefox so customized to my own needs that I dont really want to even giver another web browser a chance. Anyone here try out google chrome and find it better then firefox? One thing I do know about firefox which Im not sure about google chrome is that it is a big resource hog on the computer when you are using it. I might have to look into google chrome to see what type of resources it uses up when in use.

was using firefox when it was phoneix, l agree never looking back, used any u can name, from konquer to safari, high end names to little groups, nothing beats firefox!
Studio Madcrow
In theory IE7 CAN come pretty close to passing ACID2, if you enable some hard to get at "standards compliance" mode. Actually, IE7 marked a pretty big increase in quality over prior versions, quite possibly the biggest "jump" in quality since the changeover from IE 3 to IE 4. Still, Firefox (expecially Firefox 3) is much better.
Flakky
mOrpheuS wrote:
Josso wrote:
Flakky wrote:

Eh ? really ? I would have thought that was a joke Confused
Unless, ofcourse, you were joking too.
It was meant as a joke. I just read they were going to make it acid proof.