FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Recommended SDL Tutorials ?

flatliner
Hey everyone, well after searching around Google and Youtube a bit. I have failed to find any really good tutorials/videos tutorials on programming C++ conjugation with SDL. I did how ever find one quite good website http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/ which does have some quite good/simple tutorials on SDL.

Though I would love to be able to find some video tutorials quite like antiRTFM Youtube series on C++ With like 60+ videos from the ground up in c++, which I would highly recommend if anyone wants to learn C++ by the way. I am not much of a man for reading so video would go down alot nicer Very Happy

EDIT - add on question
Ok so, I am only after finishing learning c++ and I have a fair grasp on it and developed a few text based games/applications. nothing to mad now Ha.
So now I am looking to learn an API and forgive me if I am mistaken but am I right in saying all the below are API's

- OpenGL
- DirectX
- SDL - (tho this can use OpenGL whats that about?)[/list]
- allegro
- etc etc..

From searching around and talking to people SDL seems to be the best to start with, I have used it and its seem easy enough to work with for 2D games etc. I have visited http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/ which is quite good, seems to cover the basics. Would it be worth getting a book like (Focus On SDL - The Premier Press Game Development Series). Again I am not one for reading but I will force myself to read the book if it is very useful?
Any other recommendations?

Thanks
Peterssidan
The best SDL tutorial I have ever found is lazyfoo. I have not seen any good video tutorials about SDL. SDL is a much smaller area than c++ so the probability to find good video tutorials is much lower so don't waste too much time searching for video tutorials you might never find.
flatliner
Peterssidan wrote:
The best SDL tutorial I have ever found is lazyfoo. I have not seen any good video tutorials about SDL. SDL is a much smaller area than c++ so the probability to find good video tutorials is much lower so don't waste too much time searching for video tutorials you might never find.

Hmm, true enough. I suppose I will just have to go read lazyfoo tutorials ha.
flatliner
Ok so, I am only after finishing learning c++ and I have a fair grasp on it and developed a few text based games/applications. nothing to mad now Ha.

So now I am looking to learn an API and forgive me if I am mistaken but am I right in saying all the below are API's

- OpenGL
- DirectX
- SDL - (tho this can use OpenGL whats that about?)[/list]
- allegro
- etc etc..

From searching around and talking to people SDL seems to be the best to start with, I have used it and its seem easy enough to work with for 2D games etc. I have visited http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/ which is quite good, seems to cover the basics. Would it be worth getting a book like (Focus On SDL - The Premier Press Game Development Series). Again I am not one for reading but I will force myself to read the book if it is very useful?

Any other recommendations?