FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pittbull's

Punishing one specific breed is racist?
yes
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
yes
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

x6xyodax9x
Iam an animal lover and i own some of the nicist pitts anyone will ever meet. I still cant get over how much people hate them, Chows and Chihwawas are 20x more vicious. PUNISH THE DEED! NOT THE BREED!
deanhills
x6xyodax9x wrote:
Iam an animal lover and i own some of the nicist pitts anyone will ever meet. I still cant get over how much people hate them, Chows and Chihwawas are 20x more vicious. PUNISH THE DEED! NOT THE BREED!

Pitts are nice. Perhaps less people hate them than you think!
Crazy_Canuck
Racist? Perhaps you mean "breedist"?

Smile
mgeek
x6xyodax9x wrote:

Our Teri is a female pitbull and she is super-friendly.
ocalhoun
I'm guessing you mean Canada's policy?
I wonder what the policy is if you simply don't register the dog as a pit bull... "Sure, he looks like a pit bull, but he's actually half lab, half boxer."
jwellsy
I hate biased polls.
Rosabelle
Hmm. Maybe you should have put an option 'no' up there? I do feel the same way you do, but for the people who feel otherwise... Anyway, I believe that that is an unfair judgment. That's like saying that every two year old is amazingly stressful. Not all of them are/were. I guess I have a weak argument, but anyway, I just feel that that is unfair, to judge one dog based on the stereotype for the breed.
Zombie
It's not racist its breedist... But seriously thats a terible thing to do, the dog cant choose its breed
bigt
jwellsy wrote:
I hate biased polls.

Biased polls suck.
Wolf1918
I've had bad experience with pit bulls in the past. I have never owned one, I've never been friends with anyone who had one but I did live in an apartment complex where one of the other tenants owned a pit bull.

I personally saw this dog attack three other dogs, one of them was my German Shepherd. Once that pit bull bit down there was nothing they could do to make it let go. I saw the dog's owner try to pry its mouth open with a stick and watched while they poured water down its nose trying to make it let go off an elderly lady's old dog that was walking peacefully along on a leash when it was attacked. The old lady's dog had to be put down because its neck was just torn to bits.

When the pit bull when after my Shepherd I had my dog on a collar and chain out for a walk, the pit bull saw us from almost a block away and charged. I was closer to my car than to my apartment door so I tried to get my dog into my car. The pit bull bit him on the leg but didn't get a good grip to lock its jaws and I was able to get my dog into the car with just a minor leg wound. But after that when ever I took my dog out I carried my .357 magnum handgun with me and if it had happened again that pit bull would have been dead.

My dog was a sweetheart, in all his 16 years he never tried to bite anyone or any other dog or cat. He didn't even try to fight the pit bull that attacked him, he was obeying me about getting into the car.

And there are just TOO many news reports. I think it's a bad breed, their behavior is in their genes.
My 2 cents,
Chad
ocalhoun
Wolf1918 wrote:

And there are just TOO many news reports. I think it's a bad breed, their behavior is in their genes.
My 2 cents,
Chad

Partially, but the greatest part of their behavior is their training. I would not be surprised at all to find that the one you had problems with was trained for dog fights at some point. Actually, I'd be surprised if it hadn't.

The owner of that dog was definitely criminally irresponsible. If that person insisted on keeping such a violent dog, the dog should have been leashed, kenneled, and/or muzzled at all times. Wouldn't there be some kind of legal action you could take against its owner after it attacked and killed other peoples' dogs for no reason?
jwellsy
Like the old joke punch line says:
You knew I was a snake when you took me in".

Pitbull ownership does have a higher liability risk than other breeds. That's an unnecessary risk that I will never accept as a pet owner.
wab11287
Its really a shame on how people look at pitbulls. They are really beautiful dogs and I know that I would love to own one some day. The fact that people do fight them and it only takes a very small amount to give them a bad name, like anything in the world, is a shame. I wish that people would understand and give them a chance and then maybe they will actually see that they are not the type of monsters that people see them as.

I know in some city's that it is the law that if a stray pitbull is found and isnt claimed within a certain amount of time they will put it to sleep just because of the breed. They say that they can not take the chance of the dog being dangerous around people or other dogs. Now when I hear that I think to my self, what makes one breed so much different then any other type of breed? I just dont understand how people can do things like that.
ocalhoun
wab11287 wrote:
I just dont understand how people can do things like that.

^.^ Maybe its their suppressed racism instincts trying to find an outlet?
bi42069
Pit bulls are not a dangerous breed they are a strong smart breed. Every type of animal requires its own type of training method. If you cannot handle the type of animal you have then you should not have them. You should always do research about the type of animal you are going to get so you know what to expect and how to handle them. Pittbulls as I said are a strong, athletic, intelligent,owner pleasing type of dog and will learn simply by observing their environment. Just like a child. If a child is in an abusive environment the mojority of the time they become abusive. If they are in a loving, supportive and disciplined environment those goals and values get passed down. Peple need to understand that beating and abusing certain breeds and types of animals just makes them take it out on others and if you have been chained up with a super heavy chain given all kinds of shots and teased and made to attack a bait dog or you will get beat or worse what would you do. So as others say the blame for these incidents is an unitelligent,abusive and illinformed owner that doesn't know or care to do the right thing. And yes I do own 2 pitts and have owned 6 at one time (momma dog. Had pups) and I would hurt somebody if they tried to hurt them. I couldn't live without them n e more than I could not live without my son.
ChasingGhosts
People hate and fear pit bulls for many reason. First of all, it's a fact that pit bulls were made for fighting and that way these dogs can be more aggressive than others. Other not-so-nice fact is, that pit bulls don't give warnings before attacking unlike other dogs. ("Pit bulls were selectively bred to conceal warning signals prior to an attack. For instance, a pit bull may not growl, bare its teeth or offer a direct stare before it strikes. Unlike all other dog breeds, pit bulls are also disrespectful of traditional signs of submission and appeasement." - Pit Bull Myths)

BUT. (There's always a but, don't you think?) The biggest reason for all the attacks that pit bull type of dogs have done are the fact that the person who owns the dog doesn't know how to handle them. The reason is always on the other side of leash. It's always owners fault.

People take pit bulls to make themselves look better. Like "Hey, don't you dare to touch me, I have a pit bull and it'll kill you if I say so!" Egoistic. Bad. Stupid.

Someone's of you are going to disagree with me but I've worked with aggressive pit bulls many times and I think I know the worst side of this breed. But I've seen the best side too, and it'll always beat the worst parts. Beautiful, incredibly beautiful dogs with right owners.
LittleBlackKitten
One blames bad parenting and mental instability in ill-behaved children. People should learn to see dogs the same way. If you don't treat a dog like a dog and don't attain Pack Leader status in the mind of your dog, the dog's behavior is YOUR OWN FAULT. In fact, it's ALWAYS the human's fault for not taking proper care and attention of an animal that cannot control and care for itself. Pit bulls are not the problem; ignorant and stupid owners are!

Pit bulls are not the liability, dumb owners who let their dogs take control are.
Pit bulls are not violent dogs; they are easily frustrated with lack of boundaries, rules, and limitations, and no job to do.

Bad dogs means bad owners; not bad dogs means bad dogs. End of.
Marcuzzo
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
One blames bad parenting and mental instability in ill-behaved children. People should learn to see dogs the same way. If you don't treat a dog like a dog and don't attain Pack Leader status in the mind of your dog, the dog's behavior is YOUR OWN FAULT. In fact, it's ALWAYS the human's fault for not taking proper care and attention of an animal that cannot control and care for itself. Pit bulls are not the problem; ignorant and stupid owners are!

Pit bulls are not the liability, dumb owners who let their dogs take control are.
Pit bulls are not violent dogs; they are easily frustrated with lack of boundaries, rules, and limitations, and no job to do.

somebody has been watching cesar Very Happy

however, I totally agree.
this breed has a rep because of idiots that don't know how to live with a dog and how to train them. ( read: rehabilitate dogs and train themselves Very Happy )
pittbull terriers, staffords or any mastiff are a strong breed that thoughout the history have been used mainly for combat.
by the Molossi tribe in ancient greece, the romans, the normans and so on have used this breed for warfare, dogfights and even to hold down bull's that were stepping out of line when taking them to the slaughterhouse.

it doesn't take a lot to create a problem dog, even a Chihuahua can turn evil and become a problem.
you only have a bigger problem when this happens to a pittbull.
not because it is in their genes, but because they are strong dog's physically.

my point is idiots should not be getting dogs and especially not one that can do serious damage to people and especially children that don't know any better.

EDIT: cant' be unheared: whenever I hear the words 'pack leader state of mind' I hear cesar's Latino boice (v ) Laughing
sixstring_psycho
x6xyodax9x wrote:

I agree with that SO much! Anytime I have my pit around my dads Chihwawa, his dog is always growling and runs after him. My Pit Brindle just calmly walks by him, every now and then he will stop and just stare at him with a look! lol I am just glad that he doesn't attack him! lol Brindle is a very well mannered dog, and minds me well. Once someone was talking about something that happened and was acting it out by throwing punches and kicking above my head and Brindle, which was laying by my side, growled and jumped up.. all I had to do was say his name and put my hand on his back and he just stood there staring at the guy. Needless to say, the guy never did that again! lol a good protector though.. Always laying outside my bedroom door when I sleep and when I wake he is curled up at the foot of the bed. Here are a few pictures of him when he was a pup..

Now look how MEAN he is!!! lol Sometimes I am playing with him I will say, "OUCH!!", and hold my hand like I am hurting. He will either walk up to me and lick my hand or put his head on my hand like he is saying, Im sorry dad! I think that is so cute..
sixstring_psycho
Marcuzzo wrote:
LittleBlackKitten wrote:

somebody has been watching cesar Very Happy

however, I totally agree.
this breed has a rep because of idiots that don't know how to live with a dog and how to train them. ( read: rehabilitate dogs and train themselves Very Happy )
pittbull terriers, staffords or any mastiff are a strong breed that thoughout the history have been used mainly for combat.
by the Molossi tribe in ancient greece, the romans, the normans and so on have used this breed for warfare, dogfights and even to hold down bull's that were stepping out of line when taking them to the slaughterhouse.

it doesn't take a lot to create a problem dog, even a Chihuahua can turn evil and become a problem.
you only have a bigger problem when this happens to a pittbull.
not because it is in their genes, but because they are strong dog's physically.

my point is idiots should not be getting dogs and especially not one that can do serious damage to people and especially children that don't know any better.

EDIT: cant' be unheared: whenever I hear the words 'pack leader state of mind' I hear cesar's Latino boice (v ) Laughing

I SO agree with the both of you! I kept my dog in line starting when he was a pup! I knew what damage they could cause. A good thing was that he grew up with 3 teenage girls, a boy and a few cats. He LOVES kids, he loves to play with them, the attention he gets whenever one comes around. Of course strangers usually keep their kids away from him in which I do not blame them because of the ignorant owners of other pit bulls that have given them a bad name.

I use to live on the state line road of Kansas and my nephew let my dog out to potty. Well, my nephew came back in and said, "Sorry Uncle Tom.. I let your dog out and a few cops saw him and want to talk to you". Well, they told me that I had 4 days to get rid of him or they would fine me, put my dog down and I would possibly go to jail. I kept him hidden till I moved across the state line to Missouri. Now I live out of town and have not had a problem with it. But the thing that gets me is AFTER them telling me that I had to get rid of my dog they went on to say. Oh! there is a guy in the area that is armed and dangerous. hmmm.. which was more dangerous? The armed guy on the run or my dog? Rolling Eyes [/b]
Robert_Redbeard
Wolf1918 wrote:

I personally saw this dog attack three other dogs, one of them was my German Shepherd. Once that pit bull bit down there was nothing they could do to make it let go. I saw the dog's owner try to pry its mouth open with a stick and watched while they poured water down its nose trying to make it let go off an elderly lady's old dog that was walking peacefully along on a leash when it was attacked. The old lady's dog had to be put down because its neck was just torn to bits.

That sir, is a real dumb Pit Owner. It is a little of both with a Pit. The Breed has certain characteristics. One of them is aggression against other Dogs. Not all are that way. But a lot are. No matter how well you know your Pit, you should always have it under your direct control when outside and other dogs. They tend to be good with people unless the owner is an idiot. Most bad Pits are directly linked to bad owners.

Even as little as mine is. I check the area for other dogs at the park before I work with him off the leash. And the only time he runs free totally is when we are out in the bush.

When Pits were trained as fighting dogs, they were not allowed to touch people aggressively. They would be put down and culled from the breed. So that is usually not a problem unless the owner trains them to be human aggressive. Other dogs and animals are something they were trained to hunt and kill. Only the best and most suited to it were allowed to breed. So animal aggression is something you must always take caution against. With even the sweetest Pits, there may just be something that another dog does some day to really tick them off. They can suprise you when it comes to other dogs. It really is 50/50.
Coen
I won't say that pitbulls are a bad bread per se, but if you look at the fact then this is simply a breed that has been bred to fight. They are bred to have a willingness to fight other dogs, and this in itself makes it more likely that they will attack if they are not properly trained. Also, I find that in my country that there usually is a specific type of person that walks with this specific breed of dog and those people generally do not spend time training the animal, only further increasing the risk of (lethal) conflict between their dogs and another one.

Obviously there are good pit owners and friendly pit bulls. If trained properly then there is no reason why they cannot make fine dogs. But blindly discarding the numbers and facts because you feel the breed is being discriminated should not be done because those numbers still stand.
Robert_Redbeard
Coen wrote:
I won't say that pitbulls are a bad bread per se, but if you look at the fact then this is simply a breed that has been bred to fight. They are bred to have a willingness to fight other dogs, and this in itself makes it more likely that they will attack if they are not properly trained. Also, I find that in my country that there usually is a specific type of person that walks with this specific breed of dog and those people generally do not spend time training the animal, only further increasing the risk of (lethal) conflict between their dogs and another one.

Obviously there are good pit owners and friendly pit bulls. If trained properly then there is no reason why they cannot make fine dogs. But blindly discarding the numbers and facts because you feel the breed is being discriminated should not be done because those numbers still stand.

I agree completely. Some things are nature and it takes a certain amount of nurture to control what is in somethings nature. Period. That goes for all breeds, not just dogs. Genetics will rule with an iron fist if not nurtured properly in all species. Consider it a default setting. If nothing else is put in, nothing else will come out.