FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Difference between Ctrl+Shift+Esc and Ctrl+Alt+Del?

hunnyhiteshseth
Can anybody tell me whats the difference between Ctrl+Shift+Esc and Ctrl+Alt+Del?

On my Windows XP machine, both open the Windows Task Manager. But i think there must be some difference between the two combinations?
TomS
On XP-Professional STRG+ALT+DEL opens a dialogue where you can choose between: Logoff, Run Taskmanager, Lock Workstation, Shut down and change password.
hunnyhiteshseth
TomS wrote:
On XP-Professional STRG+ALT+DEL opens a dialogue where you can choose between: Logoff, Run Taskmanager, Lock Workstation, Shut down and change password.

I am using XP-Professional. But on my machine both combinations just open task manager. May be that behaviour is configurable in group policies?
AftershockVibe
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
TomS wrote:

I am using XP-Professional. But on my machine both combinations just open task manager. May be that behaviour is configurable in group policies?

It depends on how you've configured how you log in... If you use the blue full screen list of usernames with icons, then you just get Task Manager. If you have the dialogue where you type your username then password you get the Security dialogue.
Diablosblizz
You also get the security dialogue using CTRL + ALT + DEL, I don't really see a difference, they both do the same thing.
mOrpheuS
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281980

That should clear it up. Wink
hunnyhiteshseth
mOrpheuS wrote:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281980

That should clear it up. Wink

So does that mean Ctrl+Shift+Esc is the actual combination to start task manager and ctrl+alt+del just happen to also open task manager if you have blue screen enabled?
Fire Boar
Pretty much, yes. It's a carry-over from older versions of Windows where Ctrl+Alt+Delete ALWAYS brought up task manager. I guess it's supposed to be a "pause all and rescue from crash" key combo as opposed to a "launch task manager" key combo.
Fake
Wow, I didnt know tht!

Now i can act uber cool!
bloodrider
On Vista the combination ctrl+shift+esc opens directly the task manager, the combination ctrl+alt+del opens a menu with the options:
- block computer
- change user
- open task manager
- end session
- change password
[FuN]goku
well i on my laptop i have it changed how users login.... so like
when i do ctrl + alt + delete... it will bring up a window with like.. log off.. task manager shutdown etc...
but most of the time... i use ctrl + shift + delete anymore.... i find it requires less effort. Razz
Ghost Rider103
Well for me on XP, CtrlAltEsc opens my task manager. But CtrlAltDelete will open the user account page, even though my computer only has one account.

The same thing happens for my on Vista, so I don't know what's up with that?
Studio Madcrow
It's mainly a matter of history: Control+Alt+Delete is the "historic" combo of keys used to reboot the machine. For greater safety, that behavior was modified starting in the Windows 95 era, and "consumer"-targetted versions of Windows have kept the Windows 95 way of doing things in order to make life easier on users. Control+Shift+Escape is the "better" way of getting the task manager.
surdy
ohh great I use to consider myself good at keyboard shortcuts ( i use them more often than not)
but i never knew Ctrl+Shift+Esc is the actual shortcut for taskmanager ....i always went the Ctrl+Alt+Del way Razz
Flakky
ctrl+shift+esc opens the task manager. Vista changed ctrl+alt+delete to a more complicated ´emergency´ stop allowing you much more options.
funky_programmer
TomS wrote:

That's right, but with one exception.
If you turn off Use The Welcome Screen in Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change the way users log on or off, you would get these options (Log Off, Task Manager, Lock Workstation, and so on). But if you enable Use The Welcome Screen, the CTRL+ALT+DEL combination would bring you to Task Manager instead.
heartnet
I am using XP SP3
I think 2 actions are the same Very Happy
umeshtangnu
alt-ctrl-esc cycles through open windows just like alt-tab combination Question
mauriziomedici
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
Can anybody tell me whats the difference between Ctrl+Shift+Esc and Ctrl+Alt+Del?

on my winxp pro, ctrl+alt+esc open only taskmanager
otherwise ctrl+alt+canc open menu ....lock, taskmanager, shutdown....etc
i dont see no other differences

On my Windows XP machine, both open the Windows Task Manager. But i think there must be some difference between the two combinations?