FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Desktop customization

Arty
Does anybody know where I can learn how to make desktops like these?
http://lifehacker.com/5104423/most-popular-desktops-of-2008

These desktops are AWESOME.....
welshsteve
They are awesome looking, but you'd need a lot of power in you rmachine to run them comfortably every day I think.

I'm personally not that bothered about the desktop look. I've tried various customisations including using software such as Windows Blinds, but there must be added value for me to stick to these and I often go back to something I'm more comfortable with.
deanhills
Thanks for the link Arty, these are some fantastic desktops. I am sure you will be able to search what you need on the Internet. Think I will study these, as would like to be more creative with my desktop. Looks as though Windows Vista has more options than XP. I know Mac Laptops and Computers have really nice and very flexible desktops.
Diablosblizz
To begin with, you must have some powerful stuff in your machine. Good ram, good graphics processor, good processor itself. You need to crack the msstyles theme file. Then download a couple of programs, delete some stuff and have your system destroyed. You better need to know what your doing, so you don't majorly mess up your system.
ocalhoun
To start with:
http://www.wincustomize.com/
Get windowblinds for sure, and look around at what else is available there.
That site will take you a long way down the road of customizing windows.
Arty
Actually alot of the programs used to make these desktops take up less ram than the regular windows shell.

Right now I'm using Emergeblinds with Samurize. It takes up about 100MB less memory than if I just used the default shell. Smile
snowboardalliance
Arty wrote:
Actually alot of the programs used to make these desktops take up less ram than the regular windows shell.

Right now I'm using Emergeblinds with Samurize. It takes up about 100MB less memory than if I just used the default shell. Smile

What's the best way to try some of this customizing software that really won't mess anything up?
ocalhoun
snowboardalliance wrote:
Arty wrote:

What's the best way to try some of this customizing software that really won't mess anything up?

Make backups first!

I know the program I recommended won't permanently change anything, but some programs do make changes that can be extremely difficult to undo. As long as you have your backups though, you can't loose.
welshsteve
WindowsBlinds is the safest way to do it. If you don't like the free ones and don't want to pay, just uninstall it and re-apply whatever theme you had before it (it sets to the theme to Windows Classic after uninstalling).
kerryworkman
Thanks, those were great, as far as how to create something like that on your own p.c. I have no idea. I know that there used to be a program for windows 98 - xp that allowed you to make some of the changes to your desktop appearance and functionality but it has been sooo long I can't seem to remember the name of it, but if it comes to me I will post it here later. Good luck. Smile
rohan
actually window provide a good customization for us
so it is good for us to use as it is given
but using tune up software we can maintain the desktop..[/i]
internetjobs
it looks good... this is a third party software, you can download those software and install. but i am sure it will eat all of your RAM. once you can install and show your friends... thats it. you cannot keep those all load with your PC....
ocalhoun
internetjobs wrote:
it looks good... this is a third party software, you can download those software and install. but i am sure it will eat all of your RAM. once you can install and show your friends... thats it. you cannot keep those all load with your PC....

You can if you've got enough memory...

Besides, I run plenty of customization software on my vista laptop, and it doesn't effect RAM usage noticeably. (Mainly because vista was RAM-hungry in the extreme when I started. I have 3GB, and the default vista settings used 2GB. With all the customization running, I still use 2GB.)