FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Vista UAC? (User account control)

Diablosblizz
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anybody (that uses Vista, or has used it) knows how to fix these problems. It seems to be quite a pain in my rear end. Wink

1. I have UAC disabled, but the little security icon that sticks itself to icons isn't gone. Is it possible to remove them?
2. Security Center won't shut up about this, is it possible to disable the warning from Windows? Also, I'd like to leave the alerts from Security Center on.

If anybody knows any information, please share. Smile Thanks.
jackill
Try it: http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm
Diablosblizz
I am aware on how to disable it, but not how to disable the security alert.
mOrpheuS
Diablosblizz wrote:
the little security icon that sticks itself to icons

Can't say I've seen that before ... screenshot ?
Fire Boar
I think there's an option on the side bar, very unobvious, of the Security Centre called "Change how Security Centre alerts me". Click that and the option to disable parts or all of it will appear.

m0rpheuS, the icon he's talking about is an orange shield with an exclamation mark on it, it appears in the bottom corner of any program that you've set to "Run as administrator" in its properties. As far as I'm aware, there is no "official" way of turning it off though I guess you could find the system icon and replace it with an alpha blank if you know where it is and how to do that. Which I don't.
Diablosblizz
Quote:
I think there's an option on the side bar, very unobvious, of the Security Centre called "Change how Security Centre alerts me". Click that and the option to disable parts or all of it will appear.

There is an option to change how to alert me, but it doesn't show me the option to change what to alert me about.

And yes Fire, it is that little "Run as an Administrator" icon thing.
Ghost Rider103
The icon he is talking about is the little red shield you get. Or if you have auto updates turned off in XP, it looks like a little yellow shield. I think the same for Vista.

I have Vista on my laptop, and I never did find a way to get rid of that little red icon. The only way to get rid of it that I know of, is to re-enable everything that you have turned off. But other than that, you can right click on it and click exit, but then the next reboot it will reappear.
Fire Boar
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
The icon he is talking about is the little red shield you get. Or if you have auto updates turned off in XP, it looks like a little yellow shield. I think the same for Vista.

*coughs*

Diablosblizz wrote:
And yes Fire, it is that little "Run as an Administrator" icon thing.

Looks the same, but the one I'm talking about attaches itself to icons (Windows Vista only) you've set to run as administrator. The one you're talking about (and is related to the second question) appears in the taskbar.
oufti
are you administrator on your computer ?

have you other user created on this computer ?
neji
Right click on the red administrator icon,
Go to the security settings from there (don't know the English names, soz Smile)

There you will find in the bottom of the left menu something like 'Change how Windows alerts you about security issues'. You will be able to turn it off totally, just turn of the message and keep the icon of keep icon + message.

Hope it works Smile