FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wouldn't this scare the s**t out of you?

paul_indo
If he had had a heart attack I wonder if the bank would have paid compensation to his family?

Quote:
British man's bank account $209 billion overdrawn
Sydney Morning Herald
December 31, 2008 - 10:51AM
Advertisement

A British man was left reeling in shock when his bank statement showed him to be 100 billion ($209 billion) overdrawn.

As if the credit crunch were not hitting Britons hard enough, Donald Moffat was temporarily in deep, deep, deep financial trouble - due to a "technical error".

The 38-year-old, from Irvine on Scotland's east coast, said his wife noticed the somewhat "major discrepancy of two 50-billion debits" after he logged on to his account online.

"When I saw it ... I've been shaking, I've been feeling sick - everything," the stunned student and part-time care worker told the BBC.

"We knew we still had quite a bit left in the account as we checked last night before we went out.

"This morning I went out to get a few things then, when I came back, my account was overdrawn by that amount."

Barclays Bank said in a statement: "A technical error caused some customer accounts to be incorrectly debited.

"The problem was immediately identified and corrected within less than an hour, and all affected customer accounts are now showing correct balances.

"No customers will be financially impacted by this error. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused our customers."
ocalhoun
Wonder if their 'technical error' was a hacker playing a joke...
Nick2008
Must have been very scary to see that. Wouldn't be surprised if someone had a heart attack because of something like this. Still wonder why there was such a "technical error."
coolclay
Oh yea "technical error" is just a way to cover there @sses and not let other people know that it was a hacker. I think more people need to do this so that the hackers don't get the attention they strive for.
ocalhoun
coolclay wrote:
Oh yea "technical error" is just a way to cover there @sses and not let other people know that it was a hacker. I think more people need to do this so that the hackers don't get the attention they strive for.

On a side note...
I wonder if the debits to the accounts in the story went to credit the hacker's accounts? I wonder if they got the money back...
Kelvin
Well that would definately have been a shocker to most people. I wonder how in the world did the bank allow for an overdrawn about over 100 billion in the first place. I would think they would have been alerted by their banking system when the account is overdrawn by a few million for private accounts.
carlospro7
sounds like a hacker.
SonLight
With an amount that large, it should be immediately obvious that there is an error. I suspect this would have been much easier to deal with and get corrected than if it were a smaller amount, such as 20 pounds.

I tend to doubt if this was caused by a hacker. If a hacker had broken in and wanted to maximize his impact, he would probably have used a more believable amount.
sondosia
Wow. I would've died on the spot. Thank goodness it was just a mistake...

This must be how those people who found out that their late great-grandfather owed several thousand in library fines felt... =)
LostOverThere
ocalhoun wrote:
Wonder if their 'technical error' was a hacker playing a joke...

Hah, it really wouldn't surprise me. Wink

But, man, if that was me I'd have had an aneurysm on the spot.
AftershockVibe
Makes you wonder how many smaller "errors" go unnoticed?

Just a pound (dollar, whatever) from a million different acounts over time makes you a comfortable million any no-one is likely to notice!
ocalhoun
SonLight wrote:

I tend to doubt if this was caused by a hacker. If a hacker had broken in and wanted to maximize his impact, he would probably have used a more believable amount.

It depends what the hacker wanted... if he wanted money, he would have done well to do that, but many hackers do what they do for thrills and bragging rights... If you're doing it for those reasons, you'd want to make it an outrageous amount that people would remember... and talk about on forums later!
joostvane
I won't really be in shocked by this. The amount of the money is too big to be real. I would be more freaked out if I was frauded with 2000 dollars or something. Looks much more realistic.