FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Setting up file sharing between Linux and Vista...

ocalhoun
Its been a while since I've asked for help here to be sure, but something has finally stumped me.

So, I've finally gotten my Linux machine back operational after a hard drive and motherboard transplant, and now its time to get it into the network. That has proven troublesome though.

First of all, the physical topology of the network is very simple:
Vista Machine__Hub__Cable modem
Linux Machine_/

Both machines can connect to the internet just fine through the modem.

Both of them can ping each other when given the ip address, but neither can ping the other one when the host name is used. (For some reason, only 3/4 pings from Vista to Linux are successful... Pings in the other direction are perfect. This is strange, but I think it is an unrelated problem.)

File sharing is set up on Vista, and Samba is working on the Linux (OpenSuSE 11) machine. Both are set up to be part of the same workgroup. (Which for now probably means that there are two workgroups of the same name.) However, neither can discover the other one when browsing the network. (Though for some strange reason, the Vista machine shows another computer in the network... It has a random-letter like name that is not the name of the Linux machine, and trying to open this mystery computer only results in timeout errors. I'm almost suspecting that this might be the modem.)

All firewalls on both machines are disabled.

So, what's the missing link here? What am I forgetting that will allow it to work?

(And one final parting question, just out of curiosity... Could using a version of linux made before SATA came out with a SATA and IDE motherboard cause problems when trying to format IDE drives? Why?)
AftershockVibe
How are you addressing the Vista machine? Have you tried doing...
Code:
smb://<VistaIPAddress>/

...from Suse? Hopefully that will resolve whether this is just a problem with naming or it actually can't access the service.
Arnie
First ping, them try a manual mount and report any errors.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/mounting-samba-share-11439/
ocalhoun
Arnie wrote:
First ping, them try a manual mount and report any errors.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/mounting-samba-share-11439/

Mounting a samba share? I had it set up once before and never had to do anything like that...

AftershockVibe wrote:
How are you addressing the Vista machine? Have you tried doing...
Code:
smb://<VistaIPAddress>/

...from Suse? Hopefully that will resolve whether this is just a problem with naming or it actually can't access the service.

Good idea! Tried it, and got a timeout error.

Just noticed something that might possibly affect it:
The automatically assigned IP addresses (that came from who knows where) might be on different subnets! They are:

207.127.129.59 (vista) and
207.127.145.231 (suse)

I will see if I can manually change at least one of them, and see what that does for the problem.
I think the modem is assigning these addresses right now.

*edit*
Manually changing the IP of Vista: ineffective. I tell it to use a manually selected IP, run ipconfig, and the old address is still there. <.< Stupid Vista.
Manually changing the IP of SuSE to 207.127.129.55:
Looses all network connectivity. Cannot connect to the internet, cannot ping Vista machine.
Reversed changes.
Arnie
Quote:
I had it set up once before and never had to do anything like that...
You don't have to try it if you don't want to. But if you want to get the filesharing to work you'll have to do something different than you usually do, because your way apparently doesn't do the trick...
albuferque
Samba and Vista don't work together well. However, it seems that your computers are on different newtorks and basic SMB name resolution relies on broadcast messages, which will not go from
one subnet to another.

You'll have to edit lmhosts to take their ips respectively instead of using names. Also, you'll have to configure WINS support and NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

You can find some interesting examples to solve your problem at:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html

and if you're using RedHat-like Distribution:

http://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/rhel-rg-en-4/s1-samba-network-browsing.html

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ocalhoun
Arnie wrote:
Quote:
I had it set up once before and never had to do anything like that...
You don't have to try it if you don't want to. But if you want to get the filesharing to work you'll have to do something different than you usually do, because your way apparently doesn't do the trick...

You've got a point there...
funky_programmer
Try setting the IPs on the same subnet.
Also, please double check the Location Type setting in Network and Sharing Center in Vista for your LAN interface.
Please make sure it's private and not public. Because Vista won't let other computer see your computer if network discovery is set to off (in public mode) unless you force to enable network discovery and file sharing in public mode.

Hope this helps.