FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How long will it be before Iraq and afganistan

yagnyavalkya
How long will it be before Iraq and Afghanistan are no more controlled by the US
that is to say they have govt which are not anymore stooges to the US
Did the US win the war against terror
if not when will it win
actually can anybody ever win the war against terror
liljp617
Never.
ocalhoun
At least you were thoughtful enough to bring up Afghanistan...
I still find it very strange that people are crying out that we should get out of Iraq as soon as possible, while I have yet to hear of anyone calling for a retreat from Afghanistan, though we've been there longer and (arguably) accomplished less. Why is that? (Besides media attention, that is...)
atul2242
And lets not forget Okinawa
ocalhoun
atul2242 wrote:
And lets not forget Okinawa

Okinawa is a completely different type of situation.
No, we shouldn't leave there unless forced to. The US military's greatest strength is its mobility, and it needs overseas bases to maintain that.
TrueFact
It can be simple,

- USA doesn't face great losses in Afghanistan while there's some explosion or casualties in Iraq almost everyday (according to Al-Jazeera News and other Arab sources).

- The USA didn't land units in Afghanistan but did in Iraq.

- Afghanistan doesn't have much oil like Iraq.

Simply, it is quite and, sort of, peaceful in Afghanistan so it is forgotten while Iraq is the hot zone.

The main strength of the USA army is its ability to strike from distance (e.g. jet fighters, bombers and missiles) not the troops not its mobility though it is one of its strengths.

----------------------

The invasion will end only after the unseen goals are met
deanhills
Perhaps the US presence in Afghanistan has to do with being in strike force distance of the hub of terrorist camps, the ones that do all the planning for attacking the United States. A good location to be to avoid a re-occurence of Sept11 and to ensure US citizens are safe in their own country. Fight the war with the terrorists outside the US.

It is important for stability in the Middle East. If the Middle East should explode in all directions, i.e. Pakistan and India, etc. etc. this could start a third world war easily, and perhaps even destruction of the war if nuclear weapons are used. Iran is an important factor in all of this.

Also must have something to do with balance of power with Russia, China and Iran. And a key to US military prepararedness.

Regarding the question whether the US would leave Iraq. I think it will reduce its numbers in Iraq, however its presence there is not a one-way street. It is providing some kind of security and stabilizing force in absence of the necessary infrastructe and police force in Iraq. It is also helping the economy. I think it will be staying in Afghanistan for quite a while. As long as the terrorists are hiding out there.
Nick2008
liljp617 wrote:
Never.

Yea, that's pretty much it. Never. As long as there are terrorists and threats to the US's integrity, we'll stay there.
yagnyavalkya
What do you all think the policy towards Afghanistan will be in the Obama Regime
Xanatos
yagnyavalkya wrote:
What do you all think the policy towards Afghanistan will be in the Obama Regime

Well considering he just sent a troop surge in there, I would venture to say the same as usual.
deanhills
Xanatos wrote:
yagnyavalkya wrote:

Well considering he just sent a troop surge in there, I would venture to say the same as usual.

I'm beginning to get the same feeling. I'm happy with it though as the perception of a strong US Government is a good one for everyone. Saw Hillary Clinton commenting on the news last night with regard to Northern Korea, giving a very strong message, that the US would like to build good relationships with North Korea, but on condition that North Korea unclench their fists first. I liked the way she put it. I also like the way she acted on behalf of Obama. So far so good. Still a long way to go though in building credible relationships. She seems to have done well with the UK, this lady certainly has lots of energy and is completely dedicated and devoted to her task.
ocalhoun
Xanatos wrote:
yagnyavalkya wrote:

Moving troops from Iraq to Afghanistan was being planned well before Obama took office. I doubt he had any more to do with it than perhaps signing an authorization for it. Now that Iraq has quieted down, and Afghanistan is getting worse, it is the obvious course of action anyway.
Xanatos
ocalhoun wrote:
Moving troops from Iraq to Afghanistan was being planned well before Obama took office. I doubt he had any more to do with it than perhaps signing an authorization for it. Now that Iraq has quieted down, and Afghanistan is getting worse, it is the obvious course of action anyway.

Yes it is the obvious course of action, but if Obama wanted to do something different he would have. Even if it was set in motion before he got there, he could have stopped it if he wanted to.
ocalhoun
^True, he could have stopped it, but you can't take the failure to stop one thing that was already in progress and was indisputably a good idea, and then predict his policy with Afghanistan from that.
liljp617
TrueFact wrote:
It can be simple,

- USA doesn't face great losses in Afghanistan while there's some explosion or casualties in Iraq almost everyday (according to Al-Jazeera News and other Arab sources).

- The USA didn't land units in Afghanistan but did in Iraq.

- Afghanistan doesn't have much oil like Iraq.

Simply, it is quite and, sort of, peaceful in Afghanistan so it is forgotten while Iraq is the hot zone.

The main strength of the USA army is its ability to strike from distance (e.g. jet fighters, bombers and missiles) not the troops not its mobility though it is one of its strengths.

----------------------

The invasion will end only after the unseen goals are met

umm I think most of this is false. Troop deaths have gone up very much in Afghanistan recently and Afghanistan is certainly not peaceful..it hasn't been for quite some time.
Bikerman
It is very much false, as you say.
Afghanistan is a real quagmire. Remember the USSR in the 1980s? They basically were beaten. I see no sign that the western alliance is doing much better. The UK, as well as the US, is heavily involved and we are most certainly NOT winning - this has been admitted by politicians and military commentators here.
deanhills
No one is winning but something good is happening anyway. Situation is much more stable than it was with the Russian presence. There are many Canadians there as well and I believe from the UK too. Doing good works, not only militarily, but medical, community type work. People in the country just need so much as they seem to be many decades behind in social development, education, culture, the whole works. Almost as though they have been living in the equivalent of dark ages, and seem to be making their way slowly in a developmental direction. Pity about the terrorism and drugs, but that seem to be in the culture too. Most of the population seem to only know war, the only thing they really are qualified for. So easy to recruit them with promises of any kind.
ptfrances
I hope that Barack Obama will remove US troops as soon as the security of these countries is ensured.
Wink
liljp617
ptfrances wrote:
I hope that Barack Obama will remove US troops as soon as the security of these countries is ensured.
Wink

In other words, probably never.