FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


New Year Resolutions: Do They Work?





mgeek
Has making new year resolutions helped make you a better person?
tony
it probably would if I actually followed through with the resolutions past the first week :p you?
fx-trading-education
I think that new year resolutions don't work (I don't mke any myself) because there is no reason people will strongly chnage because it is just the beginning of the year.
For people to change they need a catalyst, some event or anything that make them think and evlove and change. Otherwise they wiull continue as usual.
If they start something just because it is the beginning of the year, then usually they will drop it quite quickly, but stong events (new relationship, disease, death of a close person...) may produce strong changes
ocalhoun
I never make new years resolutions. If I make a resolution, I make it whenever I feel I need to. If you can't keep to an ordinary resolution, you won't keep to one made on new year's either.
{name here}
I never remember them long enough to actually act on them. Usually I discover I can do something an even better way than my goal intended, or I find something "better" to do than my goal and it ends up fading away. I do better with goals that are made at the time I actually need them and must act upon them.
mgeek
tony wrote:
it probably would if I actually followed through with the resolutions past the first week :p you?


I make only a few resolutions every year, but these are mostly attitudinal -- e.g. call meetings more often or limit your cigarettes to a pack a day. I' don't make too many lest I forget.
saratdear
I almost never do, because I believe that a drastic change one fine morning is not possible. Hey, if you can do it on New Year, you can do it every day! Smile
deanhills
I like to make "to do" lists, and have found over the last few years that focus has been on "to do" for work mostly. I seem to be very good with those and neglecting ones for myself. My personal "to do's" seem to be much vaguer and easily postponed to the next day unless they are really crucial like paying bills, etc. So decided this New Year that I will make an enormous "to do" list for myself, a really substantial one, and then work it into the order of those "to dos" that are most important to me at New Year, given that they can change at any time. And make sub "to do" lists for the important "to dos" I have decided upon. Then commit to "x" number of personal "to dos" a day, revising them at least once a week, as of course they may need to be improvised. Sort of "to dos" with action written into them, much like my work "to dos".

"To dos" work psychologically with me. I find once I have made a list, it sticks, and if I check up on it say on a daily basis, it sticks even more. Work "to dos" are easy, and I find that I always seem to make space for it, whereas personal things are put on the back burner. Think that about sums up my resolution for the New Year!

Happy New Year to all! Hope it is a prosperous one for everybody!
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
I like to make "to do" lists, and have found over the last few years that focus has been on "to do" for work mostly. I seem to be very good with those and neglecting ones for myself. My personal "to do's" seem to be much vaguer and easily postponed to the next day unless they are really crucial like paying bills, etc. So decided this New Year that I will make an enormous "to do" list for myself, a really substantial one, and then work it into the order of those "to dos" that are most important to me at New Year, given that they can change at any time. And make sub "to do" lists for the important "to dos" I have decided upon. Then commit to "x" number of personal "to dos" a day, revising them at least once a week, as of course they may need to be improvised. Sort of "to dos" with action written into them, much like my work "to dos".

"To dos" work psychologically with me. I find once I have made a list, it sticks, and if I check up on it say on a daily basis, it sticks even more. Work "to dos" are easy, and I find that I always seem to make space for it, whereas personal things are put on the back burner. Think that about sums up my resolution for the New Year!

Happy New Year to all! Hope it is a prosperous one for everybody!


You might want to try what I do: every item in my to do list is a folder on the desktop of my computer. (A portion of the desktop is set aside for this.) They are arranged by priority. If I need to save files relating to that project or task, I save them in that same to-do folder. When the task is completed, I delete the folder. That way, it is organized, and you see it all the time.
gcaughill
mgeek wrote:
Has making new year resolutions helped make you a better person?


This year I will my resolution will be to have a resolution.

g
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
You might want to try what I do: every item in my to do list is a folder on the desktop of my computer. (A portion of the desktop is set aside for this.) They are arranged by priority. If I need to save files relating to that project or task, I save them in that same to-do folder. When the task is completed, I delete the folder. That way, it is organized, and you see it all the time.


Thanks Ocalhoun, that is a fantastic idea. Love it! Best way to tick it off and also the greatest proximity. Excellent idea!
hlavco
I don't really bother with New Years' resolutions. It's just like setting any other goal for me, and any other goal I set doesn't usually get accomplished till several months after it's supposed to, so yeah. I'm not very motivated.
Nameless
fx-trading-education wrote:
I think that new year resolutions don't work (I don't mke any myself) because there is no reason people will strongly chnage because it is just the beginning of the year.
For people to change they need a catalyst, some event or anything that make them think and evlove and change. Otherwise they wiull continue as usual.


A resolution can become its own catalyst if the desire for change is strong enough, but otherwise, this person speaks truth.
sana618
i have never ever made a new year resolutions , never seem to need them. but i think people make these resolutions just to tell that they have made a new year resolution, and hay i think these resolutions are just like some rules which are meant to be broken.......
because i've never heard of a person till now who has stuck to their resolutions to the end or even for a few months.....
so..... i think we should make a few silly ones just to break them....maybe in this way a few can stick to their own just for the heck of it ... to say hay... i've not broken my new year resolutions....
what you say people??? Wink Wink


A VERY VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL THE PEOPLE AROUND THE WORLD!!!
MAY THE LORD ALMIGHTY GIVE EACH AND EVERY ONE PEACE, HAPPINESS AND PROSPARITY...
bloodrider
Why not? It's a day like the others but if it provides a strong resolution, so be it.
I've made some resolutions, let's hope they'll realize Very Happy
Zombie
In my experience new years resolutions don't work, but that might just be me
Faraz
lol. Never worked for me.
SpellcasterDX
Nope. That's why I don't even bother making them anymore. Maybe if I actually followed through on them they would work. Razz
PatTheGreat42
I resolve to find out! Huzzah!
Related topics
New Year Plans
Happy New Year everyone!
New Years Resolutions
New Year Resolutions!
have you stuck to your new year resolutions
New Year's resolutions essay competition
Adri's New Year Resolution
New Year's resolutions
I extended the New Year's resolutions competition
How to create Realistic Action-Based New Year's Resolutions
LittleBlackKitten wins the New Year's competition
New Year's Resolution
Only 4 days left till the new year.
New Year 2014 Resolutions?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.