FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Peruvian Cuisine

linkview
Somebody know it?

Maybe yes... but I suppose that if you are not Peruvian, you don't know the history complete.

The most important are the spices that are unknown for the world. They do not have a tradution in english.

And the most from them, maybe are known or cultivated in other places of the world, but his taste are diferent, with not the real taste as in Peru.

The most known is the potato. But in Peru, there are +400 diferents species too similiar to the potato, with diferent colors, size and the principal: tastes.

The Peru is a third world country, but with an incredible varity of the spices.

So, you can eat a diferent dish each day of the year. And I am sure that you "suck your fingers" (this is expression traduced from spanish)

[MOD title edited - Bikerman]
deanhills
I love food that uses spices. What kind of spices do they use in Peru, can you tell us what food Peruvians eat, for example what would a typical breakfast, lunch and dinner be?
davidfromoz
What I liked in my short time there:

As you mentioned all the different kind of potatoes. All the stranger because of simultaneous familiarity and difference. Same thing can be said for corn. Especially the black/purple corn juice.

Ceviche was delicious.

cheers,
david
carlospro7
I just came back from a three week long vacation in Peru. The food was incredible. Every day I had a different dish, and every one of them was delicious.
A very popular pepper from Peru is the Rocoto pepper which I have not seen in the US, and it is one best spices I have had (In flavor and hotness. It would probably be too hot for most people, but it was perfect for me).
I also had the best Ceviche plate of my life in Huanchaco beach with Rocoto and Pilsen Trujillo beer (The picture I took). I miss the food, and the variety of fruits.

Other foods I had:
Papa a la Huancaina
Pollo a la Brasa
Aji de Gallina
Pollada
Picante
Cabrito
Pachamanca
Trucha (non-saltwater fish)
Cuy (guinea pig)
etc...

Ceviche mixto con rocoto. Pilsen Trujillo. Huanchaco beach in the background
ptfrances
UUyyyyyyy this meal makes me hungry.
Really interesting topic because I am fond of cuisine.
Wink
ocalhoun
carlospro7 wrote:

Ceviche mixto con rocoto. Pilsen Trujillo. Huanchaco beach in the background

Ah, that would be nice... Its been so long since I ate anything I never knew about before... And even longer since I discovered new flavors, not just new combinations of old ones... You make me want to go to Peru just for the food!
jsfdan
Peru is famous for its Potatoes and corn. The cuisine is very good.
deanhills
The photo has been sallivating, and yes, would love to go to Peru just for having a few meals there. Looks delisc .... Smile
linkview
No Peru is not only famous for potoes and corn.

Just look here this link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peruvian_Gastronomy

In Peru there are:
35 varieties of Maize (corn)
15 species of Tomatoes
2,000 varieties of Potatoes
2,016 varieties of Sweet potatoes
2,000 species of fish
650 native Fruit

You only have taste 1 or 2 varieties of corn, tomotoe, potatoe and maybe 1 of sweet potatoe, 20 of fish and 50 of Fruits.

Just think in the posibilities of combination.
As said here:
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastronom%C3%ADa_del_Per%C3%BA (Spanish)
Peru have 491 traditional dishes.
linkview
No Peru is not only famous for potoes and corn.

Just look here this link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peruvian_Gastronomy

In Peru there are:
35 varieties of Maize (corn)
15 species of Tomatoes
2,000 varieties of Potatoes
2,016 varieties of Sweet potatoes
2,000 species of fish
650 native Fruit

You only have taste 1 or 2 varieties of corn, tomotoe, potatoe and maybe 1 of sweet potatoe, 20 of fish and 50 of Fruits.

Just think in the posibilities of combination.
As said here:
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastronom%C3%ADa_del_Per%C3%BA (Spanish)
Peru have 491 traditional dishes.

The most important is that maybe a plant from some specie from Peru could grow in other country, but is only in the varied weather from Peru where grow with the real taste that you can eat in Peru.
So, maybe other country could say, we too have that specie, but the taste is not the same.