FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Calif. family finds $10,000 in box of crackers

Nick2008
Quote:

IRVINE, Calif. The box of crackers Debra Rogoff bought from the grocery store had some crackerjack in it an envelope stuffed with $10,000.

Yet the Irvine woman was more curious than ecstatic about her daughter's find. After all, who would leave money in such a place?

"We just thought, 'This is someone's money,'" she said. "We would never feel good about spending it."

Rather than go on a shopping spree, the family called police and was initially told the money could be part of a drug drop.

Police later heard from store managers at Whole Foods in Tustin that an elderly woman had come in a few days earlier, hysterical because she had mistakenly returned a box of crackers with her life savings inside. In a mix-up the store restocked the box rather than composting it.

The Lake Forest woman, whose identity was not released, had lost faith in her bank and decided the box would be a safer place for the money.

Luckily for her, the box of Annie's Sour Cream and Onion Cheddar Bunny crackers were bought by the Rogoffs, who discovered the crisp $100 bills in an unmarked white envelope on Oct. 10.

The Rogoffs never heard from the woman and didn't receive a reward, but Rogoff did return to Whole Foods a couple weeks later.

"I asked them if I could have another box of crackers," she said with a laugh. The store obliged.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081227/ap_on_fe_st/odd_cracker_box_money

This warms my heart, with today's crisis I can't imagine anyone denying $10,000 and returning it to the store. It's nice to see some people still care for others who may have lost their money.
LostOverThere
Hah, that is a nice story. Can't imagine the shock they would have gotten when they opened the box; "Aww, $10,000? That sucks! I wanted Crackers..."

Great story.
bogger
I'm fairly sure their decision was based on the technical illegality of those actions, paired with the complete trace-ability of the cracker product, and their hope of a reward for the return of said funds.

And of course, the publicity probably made their day, he's already planning a novel, I'd say
deanhills
bogger wrote:
I'm fairly sure their decision was based on the technical illegality of those actions, paired with the complete trace-ability of the cracker product, and their hope of a reward for the return of said funds.

And of course, the publicity probably made their day, he's already planning a novel, I'd say

Come off it Bogger, everyone needs to hear this story! And it would be wonderful for a novel to be written about it too. Some nice light relief amongst all the depression recession and war stuff going round all the time Smile
nigam
nice to hear that story....
lagoon
Didn't you hear? The movie of this heart-warming story of honesty in hard times is already in pre-production!
ParsaAkbari
To be brutally honest i would have taken a few bills and said i got excited and spent some but the rest is still there Twisted Evil

But thats just me.
youandmephotography
This proves that there are still good people in the world today, and no matter how terrible our economic situation is, we still prevail with hope and honesty. Haha, however stupid that sounds, it's true.
roxys_art
Hmmm, maybe it's just me. But, I think I'll keep my money in the bank. I don't think Frito Lay insures deposits up to $100,000.
the-guide
GREAT and VERY NICE...
icecool
yep really great and nice to see there are some honest people around.

however.

i would not go back to that store for shopping. if they restock stuff people bring back to make the extra buck instead of composting it - who knows what else is lurking on their shelves??

yuk
mtsbuild
thats a great story bravo
Noremac
They are better people than I am, I probably would have at least taken a small tax. Good on them.