FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New York

jspets
You have to make New York a must go place for a holiday. It is a fantastic place to stay and the atmosphere is great. It is called the city that doesn't sleep and that was true when i went it was the first night and our hotel window was facing a block of flats and that night the police raided it at about 3 o clock in the morning. It was really exciting to watch. Also if you go make sure to visit the apple shop and the massive toy shop.
la_Duchess
I would love to go during the holidays. I want to see the huge tree put up in front of rockafellar center. I'm sure the shopping would be amazing too! Crazy cold though but with that we would have to have the holiday snow. Then I would want to stay for the dropping of the ball on NYE. That would be so much fun too! Well maybe one year...
amfriendsforever153
NEW YORK is one of the greatest city in the world as well as costliest city.the atmosphere of new york is also great becouse of greenary and pollution free.
natilovesmike
I would love to go to New York, but I can't convince my husband yet...I am working on it, one way or another I will make it there! I have heard is a nice city and I would like to visit so much...any ideas on how can I convince my husband to go? He doesn't think a big city like that can be nice... Razz
deanhills
One of the most interesting cities I have ever visited. Think what made the greatest impression were the ambience of the people, a totally different culture even by American standards, a different character. I loved the little delicatessen and the food was out of this world. Think I had my best rice pudding ever in that city, never been able to taste it like that again. The cab drivers are also interesting, and was totally amazed at their intellectual conversations. Quite an eye opener for me and would love to visit it again.
joe_042293
You'll have to tell me where you got that rice pudding, Dean.

I'd love to go at some point, but while the city may never sleep, I have to; I'm worried that it'd be too noisy for me to fall asleep. I'm a very light sleeper, unfortunately.

But, y'know, that's just a minor issue. It's got such a wide array of activities and landmarks and such, I'm sure I could easily spend a fortnight there.

I imagine it's incredibly difficult to drive anywhere: is it worth trying to hail a cab or would I just walk everywhere? Or is there another form or transport I could use?
LimpFish
aw man, that is like the city I want to visit more than any city right now I think, someone wants to pay my ticket? Smile
UKJim
Best place in new york has to be 'Top of the Rock' - its the roof of the Rockafella center and its is the best view of new york by far.

One side you have central park and other side Empire State Buidling. Me and my Fiancee went when the sun was going down, very romantic.

It is the same building as those pictures you can buy of the work men on the gurder eating there lunch and sleeping, not sure if anyone knows of those but I love them too.

As an extra I also love the rotating restaurant at the top of the Marriott Marque Hotel, its top class food and its impressive how the waiters and waitresses do not get lost or fall over LOL.

Cheers guys
pll
I'll go to see this city on May 14th !!
Can't wait til' I get there Smile

It'll be AMAZING.
Solon_Poledourus
amfriendsforever153 wrote:
NEW YORK is one of the greatest city in the world as well as costliest city.the atmosphere of new york is also great becouse of greenary and pollution free.

Pollution free? Where on Earth did you come from that NY seems pollution free to you?
I've been there many times, and it's an OK place. Definately not pollution free... I'm thinking you spent most of your time around Central Park, where it looks pretty and clean. Stand on a building in South Brooklyn, and just watch the haze of filth in the air.
As for those who want to go during New Years' Eve, definately do it. I was there for the 1997-1998 NYE, and it was crazy. There were about 2 million people in and around Times Square. It was wild. Never been there for Christmas though, but they still had the tree up for NYE.
And if you like NYC, go over to Boston. It's not as big, but just as much fun and has alot of great architecture and food.
spring567
I know New York from newspaper or TV . New York is a beautiful city . I hope I have a chance to go there.
TurtleShell
Solon_Poledourus wrote:

Pollution free? Where on Earth did you come from that NY seems pollution free to you?
I've been there many times, and it's an OK place. Definately not pollution free... I'm thinking you spent most of your time around Central Park, where it looks pretty and clean. Stand on a building in South Brooklyn, and just watch the haze of filth in the air.
As for those who want to go during New Years' Eve, definately do it. I was there for the 1997-1998 NYE, and it was crazy. There were about 2 million people in and around Times Square. It was wild. Never been there for Christmas though, but they still had the tree up for NYE.
And if you like NYC, go over to Boston. It's not as big, but just as much fun and has alot of great architecture and food.

I have heard that New York City is relatively pollution free, for its size and the concentration of people. THis is because people living in close contact with each other tend to be greener (it takes less energy per person to heat and run an apartment building full of tenants than it takes to heat and run a house in the middle of the country). This combined with other factors--for example, people primarily use the subway and other forms of public transportation when they live in NYC--their carbon footprints are smaller than an average American living outside NYC.

I lived in NYC for five years. I don't remember a haze of filth at any time. I have been to all the boroughs including time in South Brooklyn and crappy neighborhoods in Queens and spent a lot of time in the Bronx and I lived in Manhattan. On the other hand, I'm now living in Los Angeles, and I have seen some pretty ridiculous hazes of filth in the few months I've been here.

On the other hand, I completely agree with you about Boston. I lived there for only one year, but in that time it became my favorite American city. I had a great time, I loved the people, the food, and I loved how small it was. It was the perfect place.

New York is a loud, rude city. It's probably very impressive for visitors, but living there is hard--or at least, it was hard from my perspective. Maybe because I'm a nice girl from the midwest. Living in NYC is like going to get beat up every day. Any of you ever listened to the lyrics of Simon and Garfunkle's The Boxer?
Solon_Poledourus
The individual carbon footprint of NYC may be smaller than average, and people do use alot more public transportation there than anywhere else in the States, but there is alot of pollution manifested in many ways. For instance, I'm not sure I have ever seen dirtier streets than those in NYC. I don't know, I'm just not a big fan of such huge cities.
And now your in LA... geeze.... now that's a dirty place. I remember my first time there, I saw a billboard that had a picture of an X-ray of a persons lungs, and it said something about living in LA for a year is worse than smoking for a year(but that was back in the 70's). Now, if you want to see truly horrific air pollution, go to Denver, CO. Because it sits in a bowl shaped valley, the pollution just hangs there, like a soup, and it's thick. Or at least it was a decade ago when I went there.
TurtleShell
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
Now, if you want to see truly horrific air pollution, go to Denver, CO. Because it sits in a bowl shaped valley, the pollution just hangs there, like a soup, and it's thick. Or at least it was a decade ago when I went there.

actually, that's exactly what the San Fernando valley is like. It's a bowl shaped valley and the only time the air clears is during the santa ana winds. I don't know if the air pollution is as bad as smoking for a year, but I can tell you one place where I was concerned that it was--London. I lived in London for only a few months but I can tell you that my air passages were blackened on the inside. This was evident whenever I had to blow my nose.

I know how dirty the streets are in New York. But I don't think that New Yorkers litter any more than people in other places. I just think it's more noticeable than in other places because there are so many people in such a small area, all of them littering to the same degree that people litter everywhere else.
Solon_Poledourus
Turtleshell wrote:
actually, that's exactly what the San Fernando valley is like. It's a bowl shaped valley and the only time the air clears is during the santa ana winds. I don't know if the air pollution is as bad as smoking for a year, but I can tell you one place where I was concerned that it was--London. I lived in London for only a few months but I can tell you that my air passages were blackened on the inside. This was evident whenever I had to blow my nose.

I've heard that about London. I only spent a short time at the airport there, so didn't get to see it.
Turtleshell wrote:
I know how dirty the streets are in New York. But I don't think that New Yorkers litter any more than people in other places. I just think it's more noticeable than in other places because there are so many people in such a small area, all of them littering to the same degree that people litter everywhere else.

Yeah, I guess I'm just biased because I hate the city. After doing some research, I found that it is actually fairly clean, given it's population density. But for some reason, it just feels... dirty. Maybe it's all the decadence and depravity...
Melacos
I really didn't like the place... Not totally sure why though, but it might have somthing to do with the fact that I was only there for like 3 days. Another thing could be that I came more or less directly from my little 1000 people village in Denmark, and experienced quite a shock.

I guess I just need more time roaming around the place - I actually liked what I saw outside of Manhattan (which was very limited though) and would like to g oback to those places, as fx Brooklyn....
TurtleShell
I had a love/hate thing with NYC. Can I ask, how long were you there? just for visits? I have great memories of New York, but also some of the most horrendous things that ever happened to me, happened there. Awful living conditions, terrible jobs, evil landlords, nasty feelings. But I miss my favorite restaurants, some of my old friends, and sometimes I just miss some of the streets I used to walk on, even when, at the time, I kind of despised them. There's something oppressive in the air in New York City. Some sort of powerlessness, like being trapped. On the one hand, you have the subway. On the other hand, you're stuck in the city because you have no car with which to leave. On one side, you're making more money there than you would elsewhere. On the other hand, it's still not enough to pay rent. Point: you have the whole world brought to you, restaurants and stores and ethnicities of all kinds, mixing. Counterpoint: you hate your neighbors because they're loud and rude, and frankly, you feel overstimulated all the time. How can you live like that? Some people love it, but for me, it was too much, too much.
Solon_Poledourus
Turtleshell wrote:
I had a love/hate thing with NYC. Can I ask, how long were you there? just for visits?

I spent a good bit of time there. All in all, I'd say a total of about a year, spread out between 2 years. I was there on business, so I'd stay for about a month at a time.
I love the availability of things like restaurants(food in general), cultures, some great antique shops, and many other things. What I didn't like was the noise. It's constantly noisy there. After spending a good deal of time in complete isolation in remote areas, I've come to appreciate silence and the lack of human occupation. NYC is the exact opposite. It is the very symbol of business and movement and constant production, everything's for sale and everyone seems to be rushing back and forth 24/7. It makes me feel nervous and filthy.
It reminds me of taking my wolf to the veterenarian. He would freak out being in a building with more than 5 people in it, and you could see him looking for an escape, a chance to bolt and go back to the desert. I feel the exact same way in places like NYC.
TurtleShell
I agree with you, but I know that my issues with New York stemmed from more than just the noise. Living where I do now, I'm sooo much happier. Maybe it's having a car, so we can leave on the weekends to go camping and exploring if we want to...our apartment has so much more space here, and in fact, everywhere I look there is more space here...our neighbors are respectful and quiet, and where we live there are closets, and finally, the people I've met here are just nicer. It was hard to understand the people in New York.

I loved the restaurants and museums too, but all in all, not a lot else...
Solon_Poledourus
Turtleshell wrote:
Living where I do now, I'm sooo much happier.

Also, SoCal has weather like Paradise. A friend of mine just went there for 2 weeks to visit her family in SD. I'm so jealous, I haven't been there since about 1993. I love the beach cliffs, the open spaces, the mountains... mountains are what I miss most about the area. Living in Florida, the closest thing to a mountain is the curb in front of my house.
TurtleShell
SD is the greatest. When we came out here, we were actually aiming for SD or SF, but here we are, in LA. I expected to hate it, which is maybe why I didn't. It's funny, everyone in NYC looks down their nose at LA like it's the arm pit of the planet. I started telling people where we were moving to and they'd give me a sympethic nod, or a look that said , "OMG, you're moving where?". In fact, they were so snobby about it that LA was endeared to me before I even got here. And then I realized how beautiful it can be, and how wonderful the weather is, and how many flowers and different plants there are, how great the weather is, and how nice the people are, and I saw that there was a lot to love.

You know, I've never been to FL. And I don't want to:) But, considering that LA was another place I never wanted to visit, maybe that should tell me something.
deanhills
TurtleShell wrote:
SD is the greatest. When we came out here, we were actually aiming for SD or SF, but here we are, in LA. I expected to hate it, which is maybe why I didn't. It's funny, everyone in NYC looks down their nose at LA like it's the arm pit of the planet. I started telling people where we were moving to and they'd give me a sympethic nod, or a look that said , "OMG, you're moving where?". In fact, they were so snobby about it that LA was endeared to me before I even got here. And then I realized how beautiful it can be, and how wonderful the weather is, and how many flowers and different plants there are, how great the weather is, and how nice the people are, and I saw that there was a lot to love.

You know, I've never been to FL. And I don't want to:) But, considering that LA was another place I never wanted to visit, maybe that should tell me something.
LA is such a widespread kind'a place. I would imagine if you landed in the right area in LA that is compatible with what you like about a place, that you would love LA, but equally if you landed in the wrong area, that you could hate LA. Sort of fate in a way! Same with San Diego, as there are areas that are so different from one another, almost as though you are in different cities. San Francisco has different areas, but there is more of a common denominator. You feel as though you are in the same city all the time.
slashnburn99
Great place, anyone know where the driving range is in New York City
la_Duchess
Just back from NYC again. I think I've been there 5-6 times this past year. I just love NYC. There is so many things to do there. Long week-ends are just not enough time. I finally got to see the statue of liberty this time. My favourite thing to do is take a evening cruise around Hudson Bay. The lights are just amazing!!!
wanshishusheng
jspets wrote:
You have to make New York a must go place for a holiday. It is a fantastic place to stay and the atmosphere is great. It is called the city that doesn't sleep and that was true when i went it was the first night and our hotel window was facing a block of flats and that night the police raided it at about 3 o clock in the morning. It was really exciting to watch. Also if you go make sure to visit the apple shop and the massive toy shop.

New York,yes, it is one of the good places I want to go.
wanshi
New York ,one of places I want to go
chiragpatnaik
wanshi wrote:
New York ,one of places I want to go

You bet. If you are a fan of chocolate. you have to visit Max Brenner. Awesome place.
chiragpatnaik
TurtleShell wrote:
Solon_Poledourus wrote:

I have heard that New York City is relatively pollution free, for its size and the concentration of people. THis is because people living in close contact with each other tend to be greener (it takes less energy per person to heat and run an apartment building full of tenants than it takes to heat and run a house in the middle of the country). This combined with other factors--for example, people primarily use the subway and other forms of public transportation when they live in NYC--their carbon footprints are smaller than an average American living outside NYC.

I lived in NYC for five years. I don't remember a haze of filth at any time. I have been to all the boroughs including time in South Brooklyn and crappy neighborhoods in Queens and spent a lot of time in the Bronx and I lived in Manhattan. On the other hand, I'm now living in Los Angeles, and I have seen some pretty ridiculous hazes of filth in the few months I've been here.

On the other hand, I completely agree with you about Boston. I lived there for only one year, but in that time it became my favorite American city. I had a great time, I loved the people, the food, and I loved how small it was. It was the perfect place.

New York is a loud, rude city. It's probably very impressive for visitors, but living there is hard--or at least, it was hard from my perspective. Maybe because I'm a nice girl from the midwest. Living in NYC is like going to get beat up every day. Any of you ever listened to the lyrics of Simon and Garfunkle's The Boxer?

umm... I was there last year for a couple of weeks. I was much impressed (LOL). Compared to Mumbai or Delhi, I'd say that the place is much much cleaner and nicer. Everything is organised. (or looks so).

I also wen to Boston and I admit that I liked that city. Much quieter and calm. BUT, in a toss up between the two. As a visitor I much prefer NYC.

I haven't been to the west coast (maybe next year). Can't say about it.
tukun2009manit
jspets wrote:

Quote:
New York City, which is geographically the largest city in the state and most populous in the United States, is known for its history as a gateway for immigration to the United States and its status as a financial, cultural, transportation, and manufacturing center. According to the U.S. Department of Commerce, it is also a destination of choice for many foreign visitors. Both state and city were named for the 17th century Duke of York, James Stuart, future James II and VII of England and Scotland.

New York was inhabited by the Algonquin, Iroquois, and Lenape Native American groups at the time Dutch and French nationals moved into the region in the early 17th century. First claimed by Henry Hudson in 1609, the region came to have Dutch forts at Fort Orange, near the site of the present-day capital of Albany in 1614, and was colonized by the Dutch in 1624 at both Albany and Manhattan; it later fell to British annexation in 1664.

The borders of the British colony, the Province of New York, were roughly similar to those of the present-day state. About one third of all of the battles of the Revolutionary War took place in New York. New York became an independent state on July 9, 1776 and enacted its constitution in 1777. The state ratified the United States Constitution on July 26, 1788 to become the 11th state

Source - http://wapedia.mobi/en/New_York

[MOD - quote tags and source added - Bikerman]
faultless
so if you wanna travel just come to turkey Smile there is sun / there is sea / there is disco Very Happy
joostvane
I wanna go there with my friends when I am 18. What is the legal drinking age there btw? Is it 16, 18 or 21?
TurtleShell
chiragpatnaik wrote:
TurtleShell wrote:
Solon_Poledourus wrote:

umm... I was there last year for a couple of weeks. I was much impressed (LOL). Compared to Mumbai or Delhi, I'd say that the place is much much cleaner and nicer. Everything is organised. (or looks so).

I also wen to Boston and I admit that I liked that city. Much quieter and calm. BUT, in a toss up between the two. As a visitor I much prefer NYC.

I haven't been to the west coast (maybe next year). Can't say about it.

I don't recommend LA for a visit. I love living here, but for a visit I would probably much sooner recommend San Diego. Probably San Francisco or Seattle would be a lot better too, although I haven't really spent much time in either.
TurtleShell
joostvane wrote:
I wanna go there with my friends when I am 18. What is the legal drinking age there btw? Is it 16, 18 or 21?

legal drinking age is 21.
Solon_Poledourus
If you do the 'tourist thing', LA is not too bad, but listen to TurtleShell, San Diego, or Frisco(which I think is better than both) are both good choices. Seattle... well... if you like 180-something days of rain per year, then that's a cool place. If you want California, with surf, sun and people, my pick would be SD. If you want a beautiful city with alot of culture, great people and places to visit, and reminds you of a New England town, but much bigger, then SF would be the way to go.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
If you do the 'tourist thing', LA is not too bad, but listen to TurtleShell, San Diego, or Frisco(which I think is better than both) are both good choices. Seattle... well... if you like 180-something days of rain per year, then that's a cool place. If you want California, with surf, sun and people, my pick would be SD. If you want a beautiful city with alot of culture, great people and places to visit, and reminds you of a New England town, but much bigger, then SF would be the way to go.
How about Arizona and New Mexico? I really like those states. Arizona I like the Northern Parts, Sidona and upwards, as well as the southern parts, Tucson and below. New Mexico is great.
TurtleShell
Somehow I've never been to those states. It seems hard to believe I haven't been to Arizona, actually, but I haven't. I know it's close by...
Afaceinthematrix
Solon_Poledourus wrote:

I agree that SD and SF are the way to go when on a trip to So.Cal. LA isn't that great.... In fact, I despise the entire LA County... but then again, that's probably because of where I grew up (in Riverside County... a short distance outside of LA County)... I am a little biased because of all the negative aspects that a tourist most likely see.
TurtleShell
I think if I grew up in Riverside I might hate LA too.
slashnburn99
anyone used the water taxis - would like to try them this time around
LimpFish
I wanna go to NYC so bad! One day... Smile
jabce85
I've been once.. I went with my choir in high school; oh, and did I mentioned we sang at Carnegie Hall? haha.. also, speaking of carnegie... if anyone ever goes, you have to go to Carnegie Deli... but be prepared to eat a ton of food..... literally, a ton..
Tuvitor
I've been itching to go to NYC for years. One of these days, I keep telling myself. The Big Apple, I keep telling myself. One of these days...

All in good time, I guess. Very Happy
lagoon
I'm going there next year, can anyone tell me the best places to visit?
TurtleShell
Central Park and Greenwich Village are probably the most satisfying places for tourists to visit. Central Park is nothing but a big park with a lot of people in it, but Greenwich village is good for shopping and eating. I also enjoyed taking the Staten Island Ferry, which gives a good view of the statue of liberty. Be sure to take the subway--don't just ride taxis everywhere.
Xanify
NYC! <3 I was just there last summer. Lovely city.

My favourites:

- Central Park - this place is huge though and you can spend literally days just visiting different parts of it. In the summer they hold concerts there, and I stumbled upon an outdoor rollerskating rink complete with a sound system and DJ. Very neat.

- The Strand Bookstore. I forget where it is exactly - somewhere down the south of Manhattan, Google'll know - but it's great for bargain books and stuff you might not find elsewhere. You'd probably need to be a book geek to appreciate it though.

- the view from up the Statue of Liberty is awesome, if you can afford it (and can get tickets - need to be booked well in advance). So is the view from the Empire State Building.

- rockefeller center is very pretty. Food is not bad too, though pricey.

- Times Square! Catch a play if you can - TKTS has cheap same-day tickets, show up early to beat the queue. (Of course, this hinges on you liking plays... if you don't, go wander down there anyway, it's fantastically glitzy. Even the McDonalds there has shiny lights to compete.)

- Wander around at night (with a friend, to be safe) - the city looks vastly different and much better by night, IMO.
TurtleShell
Xanify wrote:
NYC! <3 I was just there last summer. Lovely city.

My favourites:

- Central Park - this place is huge though and you can spend literally days just visiting different parts of it. In the summer they hold concerts there, and I stumbled upon an outdoor rollerskating rink complete with a sound system and DJ. Very neat.

- The Strand Bookstore. I forget where it is exactly - somewhere down the south of Manhattan, Google'll know - but it's great for bargain books and stuff you might not find elsewhere. You'd probably need to be a book geek to appreciate it though.

- the view from up the Statue of Liberty is awesome, if you can afford it (and can get tickets - need to be booked well in advance). So is the view from the Empire State Building.

- rockefeller center is very pretty. Food is not bad too, though pricey.

- Times Square! Catch a play if you can - TKTS has cheap same-day tickets, show up early to beat the queue. (Of course, this hinges on you liking plays... if you don't, go wander down there anyway, it's fantastically glitzy. Even the McDonalds there has shiny lights to compete.)

- Wander around at night (with a friend, to be safe) - the city looks vastly different and much better by night, IMO.

Yes, I forgot about the Strand. Located on Broadway just below 14th street...corner of Broadway and 12th? To say this place is large is an understatement.
lagoon
So Central Park, Greenwich Village and The Strand are firm favourites.

Be rest assured, I wont be using taxis - I'm not made of money!
TurtleShell
buy a good map--buy a few, if you're planning to use the subways. You should buy a map of the subways only, and a map of the streets with notations of subway stations. Streetwise makes a nice laminated map of Manhattan that shows the streets with subways. This is a huge, huge help.

I always like to familiarize myself with the basic lay out of a city before I visit. You're probably most interested in visiting Manhattan--the layout of the city is mostly very easy. Avenues run north/south, cross streets go in order and run east/west. Everything above Soho and the village is laid out in more or less a grid. Learning this will go a long way to help you getting around.

do you k now where you will be staying?
Xanify
Eh, I wouldn't buy a map. You can get them for free at Grand Central Station - I think I picked up three or four by the end of my trip, because I kept forgetting to bring them and/or using them until they fell apart. It doesn't hurt to buy one, but you don't need one.

Oh, also, the city is a lot bigger than it appears on a map. It takes about ... gosh I can't remember ... 5 minutes to cross a block from E-W (that is, between avenues) and 2 minutes N-S (between streets) if you're walking at a brisk pace. Plan accordingly when walking around.