FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Best Cliches of Films & Sci Fi Books

jsarnold
What are your favorite, funniest or most irritating cliches when it comes to films and books? Particularly where heroes/villains are concerned?

It might be true that life imitates art, but what would really happen if life started imitating the cliches to which the world of art and media clings?

In order to try to move away from the old cliches, modern film companies have sometimes tried to deliberately go against these traditional roles, solutions and situations - but have these become cliches themselves now?
keane
The most overused theme or line saying that good prevails over evil... Smile
jsarnold
That seems like a fairly cynical view - but perhaps you're right. In the real world, there aren't always happy endings, but of course the entertainment industry wouldn't last long if it portrayed such a doomed, and dismal reflection.

I always find the villain's speech a laughable cliche. After so much time, trouble and effort in catching the hero, the villain always decides not to kill him there and then, but to do it back at his base, or to walk about recounting how extraordinary brilliant his scheme is, and always providing the hero with time for backup to arrive.

This has been parodied by a few comedies in recent years, so much so that the parodies themselves are perhaps in danger of becoming cliches?

I'd be interested in hearing any other funny cliches people have spotted.
blk3
The twist endings, like for example the Planet of the Apes ending. And some endings that left the viewers thinking for a possible sequel (lots of movies does this so they can make more money on sequels). Too many sci-fi movies doesn't have a real closure, they always leave a possibility for another sequel.
ddukki
Mel Brooks movies ... need I say more?
Idoru
blk3 wrote:
The twist endings, like for example the Planet of the Apes ending. And some endings that left the viewers thinking for a possible sequel (lots of movies does this so they can make more money on sequels). Too many sci-fi movies doesn't have a real closure, they always leave a possibility for another sequel.

All to true...

A good one for me is, in this case, concerning Stargate Atlantis. The humans from Atlantis are, once again,
fighting the evil wraiths. People and monsters die in big numbers, when our young son walks by the TV.
It brieflly catches his interest, and he starts commenting, just when one of the named heroes from the base
comes to picture. The remark is - "Well, at least he isn't going to die"...
Now, don't get me wrong, I trulley enjoy the series, but here, and in many other ones, the heroes doesn't
die. The can get really hurt, even die, but then it comes a twist and it's a dream, alternate reallity, etc.
I can appreciate the work of building characters, and that it might feel bad to kill them of, but still...
I'd also like to be immortal. It's easy beeing a hero then.