FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Favorite casual / "timewaster" games

Ghengis
I just made a post about how many games I have piled up threatening to crush me beneath them -- there's just too much great stuff this year. But I notice that part of the reason is that most of them require investment of substantial chunks of time -- games like Fallout 3 and Red Alert 3 that you can't just play for 10 or 20 minutes, but that you have to sit with for 2 or 3 hours to really get into.

So in those little slots where I have 10 or 15 minutes to kill, I still look for new material that I can just "pick up and play". For a while, that game was Peggle, but I've gotten through the whole campaign, most of the master challenges, and I'm about through with it at this point. Fantastic game, I've just played it to death. Before that it was Weird Worlds (and Strange Adventures in Infinite Space), but again I've played those so much I don't feel like there's anything else to discover.

So what do I do with those little spare moments? It can be something like a web/Flash game, I guess, but I was hoping for something I'd come back to in my spare moments for a month or two. What do you guys do?
Fake
hearts on XP Razz
Ghengis
I feel like Hearts is just too random for my taste -- when I'm stuck on a "stock" XP install, I'll play it, but that's just because it's marginally better than Solitaire and Spider Solitaire gets old after a few rounds. Maybe I just suck, but sometimes I hammer all 3 AIs and sometimes I get terrible, terrible deals and can't recover.
Nameless
Doom, the Roguelike. Fast, simple, brutal, higher difficulties and challenges get a little bit insane, and turn based!
Ghengis
DoomRL sounds like a great candidate -- I'll be sure to check it out.
evilgeniuself
Weewar is what I mainly use as a time waster, or I just play Reversi on my computer....
Weewar is useful for this because most games are set up to have day long turns, so having multiple games means you can easily waste 10-15 minutes executing your moves and then you don't have to worry about your games until the next day...
wombatrpgs
Nameless seems to share my tastes... Though personally I usually run a few minutes of [url]="http://www.adom.de"]ADOM[/url] (Ancient Domains of Mystery). It's another roguelike, text-based as well. There's a bit of start-up time required in the sense you can't start speed-playing instantly, but after a few hours it's possible to play in two minute segments. Very addicting, very difficult.
Ghengis
In theory I like Roguelikes, but I tend to have little enough time to invest in learning new games that I give up before I sufficiently grok the system.
adri
I think I will go for the miniclip games which are very addictive.... Razz

Happy Holidays!!

Adri
ftv_flung
adri wrote:
I think I will go for the miniclip games which are very addictive.... Razz

Happy Holidays!!

Adri

Miniclip is great for timewasting, you'll find yourself jumping from game to game and a half hours gone!!!
Xzoz
I'd recommend AdventureQuest, www.battleon.com, it has soaked up both long hours and short times for me, great game when you can get logged in. Otherwise I'm finding Guitar Hero 3 to be a blast, you can pick it up, play a couple of songs, and walk away a bit more focused than you were before. As long as they go good, when you lose you can get stuck in a "I've gotta beat this song" kind of mood Laughing
wombatrpgs
I find AdventureQuest way too generic to do anything for me. Not to mention I'm pretty sure the target audience is under 10.
o2o213o2
Minesweeper - it help me kill time and reduce stress
Ghengis
OK, just to clarify, I was looking for non-web games, but thanks for the suggestions.
Ghengis
I've got a new one that I think may keep me busy for a while -- Spelunky is a Derek Yu game that's a 2D platformer that plays like a Roguelike. Just the description alone should be enough to get you interested -- basically, you're Indiana Jones (sort of) and you jump around a mine looking for treasure, rescuing damsels in distress, stealing ancient gold totems, etc. The great thing is it's all procedurally generated, so you never play the same game twice. The catch is it's *hard* -- really hard. But that's half the fun -- just making it through the first few levels without dying is a huge rush. And it only takes a few minutes to play.
Pikokola
GameHouse games, they have things like Pizza Frenzy, etc etc.

Eventough I think it's not worth to buy this game, but If you had the "crack" and can play it free. I think they had the best games for killing your time.

I mean it, it's more like SNES games which only have one pattern game play but had different difficulty for each level, like higher target, more requirements to finish the level and such.
LostOverThere
Spirits of Metropolis is a fantastic 'casual' game. Peggle is pretty decent as well.
wombatrpgs
Ghengis wrote:
I've got a new one that I think may keep me busy for a while -- Spelunky is a Derek Yu game that's a 2D platformer that plays like a Roguelike. Just the description alone should be enough to get you interested -- basically, you're Indiana Jones (sort of) and you jump around a mine looking for treasure, rescuing damsels in distress, stealing ancient gold totems, etc. The great thing is it's all procedurally generated, so you never play the same game twice. The catch is it's *hard* -- really hard. But that's half the fun -- just making it through the first few levels without dying is a huge rush. And it only takes a few minutes to play.

Yay. I like this game as well. Anything roguelike for me.
Skye001
http://playauditorium.com/ - awesome game
Ghengis
For some reason, Auditorium didn't "click" with me -- I can appreciate the visuals and the way they tie the music into the gameplay, but I couldn't grasp the way the pieces interacted with each other and wound up just kind of randomly dragging them around. I couldn't get past the first few levels, and didn't really have the motivation to keep trying.

As an aside, I think maybe what I was looking for in the original post is best served by procedurally generated content (like most Roguelikes have, incidentally). Auditorium would be fun for a while, but once you beat it, you know how to solve the puzzles and it's done. I was looking for a game that stays fun for multiple playthroughs.
Fake
I play Tic Tac Toe, and mostly, undefeated on it for years now Very HappyS
Nutteloos
Pushover used to be one of my favorite time-wasters. It's amazingly deep for a simple puzzler.
Ghengis
Heh, I remember seeing Pushover in the SNES rental section at Blockbuster back in middle school. Wow, that takes me back... I never tried it, though -- didn't catch the eye, I guess.

I'll give it a shot -- thanks!
Kelcey
Actually, I like playing the only java games with my friends. Stuff like pool and pictionary. But when it's just me, it's pretty much solitaire or minesweeper.
Ghengis
I just found a series of games called "GROW" at a Japanese site -- they're almost more like interactive art than "games" per se. It's a fun way to waste an hour or two, though. Be warned: they're *weird*, in that way that only Japanese stuff can be.
hlavco
When I'm watching TV, I usually play one or two DDR songs during the commercials. They might not seem too much like 'casual games' on the harder levels, but each song is only a minute and a half long, and if you only do two then sit down and watch the show, you keep from getting all sweaty and tired.
_AVG_
I generally play Reversi, Solitaire or Alchemy online. They are a good way to sharpen my brains as well as pass time. I've always enjoyed puzzle games as well.
Ghengis
I just found a free (for now!) game on Amazon's new Game Download service called "Buildalot". It's a real estate simulation casual game that's strangely addictive.

This link is crazy long but it might work for you.
madenotborn
I know whenever i have a few minutes I'll either play World of Goo or Crayon Physics
enygmasoft
madenotborn wrote:
I know whenever i have a few minutes I'll either play World of Goo or Crayon Physics

I certainly have some great time killers on the computer which are Tetris.
enygmasoft
madenotborn wrote:

I certainly have some great time killers on the computer which are Tetris.
wombatrpgs
How could I forget Tetris... That's probably the most time-killing game of all time. Cell phone versions alone could probably win it that title. I believe there's a version for most calculators as well.
Ghengis
Dunno -- I played the everloving hell out of Tetris on the original, spinach-green Gameboy and haven't done much with it since then. Some other block-drop games (Puzzle Fighter, Welltris, a few others) yes, but not the real Tetris.

That said, I've found a ton of Flash games and a few installables to keep me busy. Just this weekend, i bought Titan Quest on Impulse for 4 bucks! That should keep me idling for a few dozen hours...
wombatrpgs
There are so many Tetris mods it's unbelievable. But the original is the best.

Actually, screw that. The best block-drop game EVER is Puyo-Puyo. There is no beating that. Sorry.
NtpU
I think Bubble Box is a great site, tons of fun games to play!
jaboihost
Ever since I switched from PC to Mac, I have been missing Free Cell. I used to rock at that game. (Not saying it's hard or anything, but it provided just enough of a challenge to feel good about winning.) I've probably been getting more work done (debatable), but, boy, do I ever miss that game.
wombatrpgs
This sort of like it?
http://www.motivational-depot.com/free-games/solitaire/freecell.html

There are replacements for these sorts of things!
David_Pardy
www.openttd.com

I've always loved Transport Tycoon, and the best thing is that you *can* spend anywhere between 10 minutes and 10 hours playing the game.

The only catch is that you need the data files from the original Windows 95 version of the game, but they're easy enough to come by if you don't already have them.
SpellcasterDX
Ehh online games (website based flash games, not mmorpg's or whatever) and GTA are what I use.
tingkagol
You can try mastering Street Fighter 3 Third Strike.

ROM:
http://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/45413/mame/Street-Fighter-III-3rd-Strike-Fight-for-the-Future.html

Emulator:
http://www.cps3emulator.com/

I play this all the time in the office. Smile
Nutteloos
David_Pardy wrote:
www.openttd.com

I've always loved Transport Tycoon, and the best thing is that you *can* spend anywhere between 10 minutes and 10 hours playing the game.

The only catch is that you need the data files from the original Windows 95 version of the game, but they're easy enough to come by if you don't already have them.

OpenTTD is indeed lovely. Many of the adaptations from the original Transport Tycoon Deluxe are great, it makes large-scale transport much more manageable.