FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mac OS on Intel PC

jweldon49
I have a Pentium 4 Extreme 3.2 with Hyperthreading.

I want to run the Mac OS. I have seen many different versions of the Mac OSX. What is the best one to DL?

Or would it be a better if i just found the customizations that made my XP looked like OSX?
Diablosblizz
Downloading any operating system is illegal unless downloaded from the original website, and was purchased from that website.

I also find that the customizatons that make XP look like OSX are horrible, although there are some nice ones that look like Vista and you can find a pack that will actually make your computer completely look like Vista. Although, it can be a real resource hog.

If you want Mac, go spend $3,000+ on a brand new Mac.
Sphaerenkern
If you want just a mac legally and won't be gaming on it anyway since you already have a badass machine, pay 599$ and get a brand new mac mini Very Happy
You know that downloading some OS for free you usually would have to pay for is illegal and that Mac OS X doesn't run on non-mac machines without some... tweaks? Good. And you ask which OS X is the best? I suppose it'd be the newest, wouldn't it? The newest is officially 10.5 Leopard, but maybe you can get some leaked Developer Preview of 10.6.
Anyway, if you want to save a lot of time or money, just download Flyakite OSX. I used it when I had a windows machine and it's of course a far cry of the real Mac OS, but it's better than spending a lot of money when you just want to test it and better than spending a lot of time getting it to work illegaly.
funky_programmer
Please visit http://www.osx86project.org/ if you would like to do so.
You will find many solutions on installing Mac OS X on x86 PCs.
Studio Madcrow
It's doable, but PLEASE avoid downloading Mac OS X. If you really want to try it, buy the boxed version and work from there.
Ankhanu
Diablosblizz wrote:
If you want Mac, go spend $3,000+ on a brand new Mac.

You still living in 2002?
They're somewhat cheaper than that now.
Diablosblizz
Hmm, for a MacBook pro it'll ring you up 3 grand, or more.

http://store.apple.com/ca/configure/MB604LL/A?mco=MzA3MTE3NA.

I bought my laptop for $800, and it out-performs that. Even for a regular MacBook, it'll still ring you up 1.5 grand. I just find that Apple products are expensive.
sheedatali
I do not mean to have a stab at PC dudes, however I think Mac are value for money, My old G4 notebook which I bought 6 years ago still can do everything I want it to and run most modern version of Firefox, Email software, and everything else that I require. However I can not see many windows based laptops (Sold as Windows based) doing the same thing. Although I have a mac book pro now too which is already 2 years old, I still use my old G4. So the point I am trying to make is that what looks like too much money now, is actually not really that much. Mac's are designed and produced with future in mind and things that have done to improve the most recent series of mac book pro's is incredible. How many other laptops on the market can claim 8 hour battery lifetime (without carrying a 10kg battery attachment), are light, and look good and have a cutting edge OS on them? I can't see many for less than 3000$ tag.

What it really comes down to is what you are going to be using your laptop for. Mac do not suit to everyones needs, however majority should have no problems choosing macs.

As for the OP question, you can easily run MacOSX on intel based systems, however not all hardware is supported. The reason for that is because MacOSX is designed to be only run on Mac's own hardware and hence the drivers only written for what hardware is shipped with. However as mentioned above there are efforts to make different hardware work with OSX. You can a copy Leopard from shops and try it for yourself but beware that you hardware might or might not work.
o_man
1. installing OSX on non-apple hardware is illegal
2. installing OSX on an older machine is impossible, and even doing it on a new one is a b*tch
3. the only semi-good way to do it involves torrenting a hacked version of leopard, which is doubly-illegal

bottomline: spend 1200 on an iMac, spend a grand on a macbook, or learn to live with windows. I'm sorry, but that's life. I don't really recommend any of the OS X skins for XP, so try at your own peril. Flyakite OS X is the best one out there, but there are some quircks. You could get a mac mini, just be prepared for a tiny harddrive.
aningbo
u will probably need atleast a good core 2 duo 2.0 processor with 2GB RAM for it to work. i doubt there is any version out there that supports ur configuration.

i might be wrong but u will need to upgrade ur system for u think about installing mac. good luck
saadat
theres a kalyway's mod of mac osx 10.5 (leopard)...u can download it and then install it on ur pc
{name here}
jweldon49 wrote:

I want to run the Mac OS. I have seen many different versions of the Mac OSX. What is the best one to DL?

Or would it be a better if i just found the customizations that made my XP looked like OSX?

Running any version of Mac OS outside of an Apple machine is a violation of the EULA, which makes it rather illegal unfortunately. Customizing XP to look like OS X probably isn't going to get you very far; I haven't seen anything particularily good for XP.

Linux desktops, however, might give you a better experiences. Since they are free, and can be customized to be quite close to OS X (KDE in particular does a decent job at this)
surdy
jweldon49 wrote:

So till now you have hear a lot on why you should not do what you are trying to do. Most compelling argument against is that its ILLEGAL. Then others say its not worth it as you won't get the superior performance as they say "PC hardware cannot match Mac".
But let me ask you this why do you want to do it? Just for the look of it ? Or you want to do it just for the fun of seeing OSX on your system.

If you are just concerned about the looks then the best option is to go for softwares that would modify the appearance of your XP.

If you want to do it just as a geeky experiment. You should NOT be doing it legally. But for the sake of experiment ( AT YOUR OWN RISK if you are not using legal copy) http://www.osx86project.org/ is the best resource to guide as to how to go about it.

Let me caution you you may face problems getting some drivers for your hardware. The most common problem people face is wireless/network drivers. They have hardware compatibility list on the OSX86 project site.
All the best.
tiagoeq
Toh is the best in this case
the-guide
If you really like Mac OS why not buy new Mac Book or iMAC, nowadays they're not too expensive to buy (may be cheaper than some Windows PCs compared by their performance) and also have capability for running Windows OS on them side by side. More stable.
achowles
There is no completely legal way to do it. Even if you buy a copy of Mac OS there is still the issue of it being against the EULA to use it on a non-Mac computer. Even if you ignored the legal issues you'd have to make sure that EVERY hardware component was supported by Mac OS, and that's not going to give you a great deal of room to manoeuvre.

All in all, if you were interested in building your own PC from the ground up and required Mac OS for college or whatever, then it could be worth looking into as an alternative to spending thousands on an actual Mac. But otherwise it's not really worth considering. If you just want a better OS, wait for Windows 7 to come out.
Kashinilaya
I heard there was a Mac OS X version for PC, but it seems that it is not true. Too many people here are saying otherwise! It was a false rumour, then! Shocked
achowles
Kashinilaya wrote:
I heard there was a Mac OS X version for PC, but it seems that it is not true. Too many people here are saying otherwise! It was a false rumour, then! Shocked

A Mac is a PC. The only difference is that PCs sold as Macs have Mac OS legally installed on them. There are versions of Mac OS sold separately from Macs, but as you've probably guessed, you can only install those on Mac PCs.

It is technically possible to build a 'hackintosh' using Mac-compatible hardware, but your rights over the OS are little different than if you pirated it.