FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DLP or LCD?

jweldon49
I am torn. I have Mitsubishi DLP and it works fine, but when ever i go into a store LCD TVs look so much better?

I want a great picture on my Blu ray, but don't know if DLP is the right choice for this.
IceCreamTruck
ok... I decided to post my thoughts because no one else has... haha here we go!

First off I'm not even sure what DLP is but I do have some great things to share about LCD. LCD although Liquid crystals suffer from a "heating up" time which should be in the specs of the monitor or TV that you are buying. Look for anything with a rating of less than 5 miliseconds and you won't ever be able to tell this problem exists... the monitor has to be able to heat up these crystals quickly so that you can view the great frame rates your computer is pushing out to the monitor in games or 3D applications.

Second factor to look for in LCD is resolution. Todays standard in resolution is 1024 by 768 but many monitors will do much better than this. This is what determins the difference between Low-deffinition and High definition LCDs. I recomend a LCD monitor of greater than 1400/900 resolution and widescreen.

Size of the monitor is always important too because 1400/900 resolution looks best when you blow that up to more than 20 inch screen. Anything less than that like a 15 inch monitor and you are going to have trouble reading the screen, so stick to LCDs that are 20 inches or larger.

Here's the main spot that most people get had, and I hope you are still reading with me: Contrast. The higher the contrast the more colors the monitor will be able to display. I have had some problems at work because the LCDs I have are nice and big but they don't display high contrast very well, and I don't get the same picture as other similar monitors around me.

So to recap: Resolution, Size, Heating up time, and Contrast are good things to consider when shopping for LCD monitors and I hope that I have helped you shop smarter on this issue.

Oh, and LCDs typically last a lot longer than Plazma and the picture is nearly identical, so the choice there is obvious. Stear clear of the expensive Plazma monitors that will not last as long.