FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What can you say about Audiobooks?

bernardnapoleon
Audiobooks are like the new means of reading novels.

I personally have only read(in this case listen to) 5 novels via audiobook. and i must say it's really convinient though with your eyes not having to read the text usually wanders off, then you'll just have to stitch the story as it is being read. haha.
Sphaerenkern
I can read a lot faster than it's read in audiobooks, so I find them too slow. Also, the voice distracts me from imagining the content... so I usually avoid audiobooks. I prefer books - just a matter of personal taste, I guess.
bernardnapoleon
too bad.. im a slow reader. haha.. just about 150 wpm which is roughly the same as audiobooks. haha. *pity for my self*
chartcentral
I haven't really tried listening to an audio book yet, and I would like to have that experience. I guess I would still be preferring the printed material, but it could be convenient like when you're traveling (maybe on the bus - as they say that reading on a moving vehicle is bad for the eyes). It's like tuning in to a talk show, commentary or news on the radio, only that it's from your Walkman, mobile phone, portable CD player or iPod - and you're actually listening to a book being read. Smile
ftv_flung
Sphaerenkern wrote:
I can read a lot faster than it's read in audiobooks, so I find them too slow.
I haven't tried many audiobooks, but I remember I think in iTunes you can change the speed of Audiobooks. I don't know if you still can or whatever, but I always thought it was a funny feature to have.
bernardnapoleon
ftv_flung wrote:
Sphaerenkern wrote:
I haven't tried many audiobooks, but I remember I think in iTunes you can change the speed of Audiobooks. I don't know if you still can or whatever, but I always thought it was a funny feature to have.

yeah... i think some ipods also has that feature.
georgeodowd
I'm a self-titled literary purist, so I find audiobooks in general sort of crass. But, then again, I also won't buy a book if I don't like the cover art or the typeface. Smile
I do, however, make exceptions based on particular voice talents. If someone is a very talented voice actor and I enjoy his/her voice, it can lend something to the story.
sheedatali
I have found them amazing. it is a brand new experience. Really depends on how the narrator reads it to you. It really creates a great listening.
mydesign
Honestly... I rather the book it self!
It so much fun to turn to next page or chapter to find out what is gonna happen next...
sheedatali
mydesign wrote:
Honestly... I rather the book it self!
It so much fun to turn to next page or chapter to find out what is gonna happen next...

Not denying that, I think having audio books are different experience. I recently finished "Interview With A Vampire" the popular novel on which Tom Cruise movie was done. Although I already knew the story in the novell, it was so much different experience listening to it, just fascinating.
ddukki
Never used it for personal use. My mom used to have trouble reading English books [Korean was/is her primary language] so she'd use audiobooks to help with pronunciation and reading proficiency.
blk3
I've listened to a few audiobooks before. The narrator is very important as even a very good book can be ruined if the narrator is not right.
j00gotpwnd
I normally listen to audiobooks after I have read the book. I also normally listen to fantasy stories as I am falling asleep. These include Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl, Shannara, Lord of The Rings, Sword of Truth, etc. I also will listen to them when I have a long drive ahead of me (I like to switch between books and music Smile ).
bigt
j00gotpwnd wrote:
I normally listen to audiobooks after I have read the book. I also normally listen to fantasy stories as I am falling asleep. These include Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl, Shannara, Lord of The Rings, Sword of Truth, etc. I also will listen to them when I have a long drive ahead of me (I like to switch between books and music Smile ).

I do the same thing. It's a great way to pass the time, and one can actually learn something new with non-fiction audiobooks. Just don't listen to something that's gonna put you to sleep while driving, lol Smile
j00gotpwnd
Haha, this is very true. I have gotten tired when driving and listening to an audiobook, so that's when I blast some tunes for a few miles. MP3 players are great inventions!
jessicawalker
I will always cherish curling up with a good book and actually READING it. I used to think audiobooks were kind of a joke for people too lazy to actually read, but my husband's an avid reader who recently started long-haul truck driving and audiobooks are a lifesaver for him. He can listen to a good story while he's driving hundreds of miles through the night and out in the middle of nowhere and time passes so much quicker for him. I think it's great.
MeddlingMonk
I find that it really depends on the audiobook in question. Some are done quite well and I find them useful when travelling or working. Some audiobooks, on the other hand, are harder to get into and don't engage as much as the original book. I tend to prefer the written word over an audiobook.

Audio dramatisations can also be quite good if done well. I've heard an audio dramatisation of Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express and it was excellent. The audio dramatisations of the Left Behind series aren't quite as good as that particular one, but they're still reasonable.

I find that sometimes the book will give you one impression, the audiobook or dramatisation another and a movie version another altogether. I suppose it depends on the way a scene is presented in the various media.
Kopernikus
jessicawalker wrote:
I will always cherish curling up with a good book and actually READING it. I used to think audiobooks were kind of a joke for people too lazy to actually read, but my husband's an avid reader who recently started long-haul truck driving and audiobooks are a lifesaver for him. He can listen to a good story while he's driving hundreds of miles through the night and out in the middle of nowhere and time passes so much quicker for him. I think it's great.

amen to that. if you´re in a situation, where you can´t have light, or your eyes are otherwise occupied, it´s a godsend....

but after a few audiobooks I found out, that I *like* it, when a really good actor reads a novel (or especially poetry) to me...

I got my appreciation of Goethe and Schiller in German from an old LP where Oskar Werner read some early poems.... awesome Surprised
Noremac
Awesome to get out of reading long, boring shit when your in high school, Jane Austin novels, etc.
Libby
Audiobooks take WAY WAY WAY longer to get through for me. I can read a 300 page novel in a couple hours, a few if it's hard. But an audiobook takes sooooo much longer. And sometimes the readers aren't that great.

Plus most books don't have audio versions.

Audio books are great for long car trips, but that's about all the use I have for them.
Vladalf
I rarely listen to audiobooks but sometimes I download old Radio Theater recordings with good voice actors and nice interpretation. It makes me alot of pleasure to listen to them.
Vladk
imera
I tried to listen to one book once, it's too difficult for me. When I listen to something my thoughts wanders off and I start to do other stuff, forgetting about the book and started to clean, talk with others and even read a book Razz could be because I found the audio book boring to, but I don't think that is the only reason. I like to read and think only about the text, and see only that since my mind suddenly wanders off without me even trying.

audio books are great for those that find it easy to hear it, don't have to read or spend a lot of time reading it.
desonium
I have never listened to audiobooks. I Prefer reading. I don't know why but it is a fact Confused I think it has to do with that I can't focus the whole time on listening.
imera
desonium wrote:
I have never listened to audiobooks. I Prefer reading. I don't know why but it is a fact Confused I think it has to do with that I can't focus the whole time on listening.

I'm not the only one Very Happy yay.

I work with a woman that listens to audio books while she is driving. I asked if she follows the road in case something should happen, she assured me that she is watching the road, but she doesn't remember everything that is read to her, I don't see why she can't wait until she is home if she really wants to listen to the book.
flytye4life
I have never really listened to audio book since I was a kid. It is more popular now because everyone is always busy. They allow you to multi task while you are listening to a story.
ato784
bernardnapoleon wrote:
ftv_flung wrote:
Sphaerenkern wrote:

yeah... i think some ipods also has that feature.

some ipod's do have that feature, but if you change the speed of the reading the audio sounds unnatural and it is not appealing. I find it better to just leave it as is.

I do personally enjoy audiobook's and find them great to listen to just before bed (like a bedtime story Razz ) I find that i read to fast when i have books and end up only getting a week or so out of the longer books, but with audiobook's they force you to take your time and enjoy the books at talking speeds.
toasterintheoven
audiobooks are good, you can create your own with microsoft text to speech
ato784
toasterintheoven wrote:
audiobooks are good, you can create your own with microsoft text to speech

yes you can, but that technology is still not very good and the voices are bad at best. We are still at the point where good old fashion recordings of people reading are the best. Sometimes you can even have the author read the book, which is cool and something that a computer can not do (be the author) although maybe someday...
Radar
I find it very hard to believe that they even come close to having a physical book. The best thing that I've heard said about them that I can kind of accept is that if you want to multitask, and you have audiobook vs not reading a book, then audiobook works.

Perhaps they work for some people, but I don't think they would work for me.

I just don't think that audiobooks actually count as reading books.
lovescience
Probably audiobook is more like someone reads a book for you.
TurtleShell
As someone who spends over an hour a day in the car, I love audio books. Lately however, I've gotten into listening to NPR, which is just as good. I think audio books are fabulous but it could never replace actual reading, which I do all the time and ravenously.
captainsuperdude
william gibson has a good voice-actor doing his novels, it really is a question of the perspective the story reader takes reflecting in the finished audio recording product.
pravojednostavno
I rarely listen to audio books, I prefer to read books.
SlashnburnSoftwareStudio
Why on audio book does the same person do voices for different male and female characters, always makes me laugh