FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

2009 Predictions

truespeed
As a follow on from the 2008 predictions thread.

What are your predictions for 2009?
deanhills
Recession will go deeper, especially in Europe. More lay offs as countries in Europe have aging populations, so possibly retirement ages may be shortened? More financial institutions run into trouble. England really in trouble. Pound sterling losing more value.
United States may get in better shape due to positive hopes in a new President and hands-on approach to solve the problems. US Dollar will strengthen against other currencies.
Court actions against Governments for taking over Banks perhaps as being unlawful and illegal. At minimum Government interference may be seriously questioned in all centres of the world.
Iraq still of great concern, but focus now on Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and Iran as problem areas, especially also given they are nuclear armed countries (with exception of Afghanistan).
Russia may have inner turbulence due to financial crisis with sporadic unrest and perhaps politics veering to rightists? China in contrast will probably have a positive growth rate, however less so than for 2008.
Diablosblizz
Hopefully the world will become more greener.
DinoBob
I predict that contrary to the last eight years, we will find that competence and leadership can exist in the Oval Office, despite however large the mess is that's awaiting us. Also, I can safely assume that once sworn in, President Elect Obama will *not* sprout wings and become one of those flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz.. Though apparently some people are still holding their fingers crossed and stand posed to pounce with Huckabee/Palin '12 stickers on their neighbors' car during the dark of night if I'm proven wrong. (Let's all hope not, eh?)

Also, Hockey Night in Canada will be renamed to "Did you see the game last night, eh?" when it's discovered that beer and culture cause Alzheimer's Disease [much like the chemical reaction that occurs whilst dropping mints into a coke bottle]. - The Red Wings will win the Stanley Cup again and cause this question to cease and desist for about a week or so, as always, as the inevitable washes over.

High School and University students around the world alike, will graduate, effectually making just enough room for a new wide-eyed class of admissions to enter the academic process, so that they too may have their souls crushed.

Michael Bublé (yay! I remembered what to punch on my keyboard to make that e. Smile) will join Metallica for a brief stint as their next bassist just to kill the faulty comparisons between him and Sinatra.. Which will subsequently be replaced by those between himself and Frank Sinatra. x_X

The infamous Dutch Kitty will report no later than by the Third financial quarter of the year, that he "has stolen all yer base."

Chuck Berry will duckwalk into a pond and drown, but not before having gone to Disney Land with the Patriots after Super Bowl XLIII (not because they won, but just for fun).

Willy Wonka's holdings company will fall near the verge of bankruptcy due both to the global liquidity crisis, and the weighted cost associated with providing healthcare to the aging Oompa Loompa population employed at the Chocolate Factory. This will be diverted by a Government Bail-out on the grounds that "It's just too awesome to let fail."

It will be discovered that Fozzie Bear, Paddington, and Teddy Kennedy are all second cousins.

The Surgeons' General Warning that has been long-mandated to appear on all cigarette packages in the United States will be replaced by a scratch 'n' sniff sticker which tries to realistically replicate the scent of old people, making it forever "un-cool".

The War on Grammar will end, and Sir. Double U's troops will leave my house.

AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaand... O_O'
Well, 'suppose the first one ought to turn out reasonably true anyway. Though everything after that will probably knock me out of the running for next year's "Who was Right" tally. Laughing
deanhills
DinoBob wrote:
I predict that contrary to the last eight years, we will find that competence and leadership can exist in the Oval Office, despite however large the mess is that's awaiting us. Also, I can safely assume that once sworn in, President Elect Obama will *not* sprout wings and become one of those flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz.. Though apparently some people are still holding their fingers crossed and stand posed to pounce with Huckabee/Palin '12 stickers on their neighbors' car during the dark of night if I'm proven wrong. (Let's all hope not, eh?)

Also, Hockey Night in Canada will be renamed to "Did you see the game last night, eh?" when it's discovered that beer and culture cause Alzheimer's Disease [much like the chemical reaction that occurs whilst dropping mints into a coke bottle]. - The Red Wings will win the Stanley Cup again and cause this question to cease and desist for about a week or so, as always, as the inevitable washes over.

High School and University students around the world alike, will graduate, effectually making just enough room for a new wide-eyed class of admissions to enter the academic process, so that they too may have their souls crushed.

Michael Bublé (yay! I remembered what to punch on my keyboard to make that e. Smile) will join Metallica for a brief stint as their next bassist just to kill the faulty comparisons between him and Sinatra.. Which will subsequently be replaced by those between himself and Frank Sinatra. x_X

The infamous Dutch Kitty will report no later than by the Third financial quarter of the year, that he "has stolen all yer base."

Chuck Berry will duckwalk into a pond and drown, but not before having gone to Disney Land with the Patriots after Super Bowl XLIII (not because they won, but just for fun).

Willy Wonka's holdings company will fall near the verge of bankruptcy due both to the global liquidity crisis, and the weighted cost associated with providing healthcare to the aging Oompa Loompa population employed at the Chocolate Factory. This will be diverted by a Government Bail-out on the grounds that "It's just too awesome to let fail."

It will be discovered that Fozzie Bear, Paddington, and Teddy Kennedy are all second cousins.

The Surgeons' General Warning that has been long-mandated to appear on all cigarette packages in the United States will be replaced by a scratch 'n' sniff sticker which tries to realistically replicate the scent of old people, making it forever "un-cool".

The War on Grammar will end, and Sir. Double U's troops will leave my house.

AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaand... O_O'
Well, 'suppose the first one ought to turn out reasonably true anyway. Though everything after that will probably knock me out of the running for next year's "Who was Right" tally. Laughing

Entertaining posting! Good one about Obama, and light relief for the year coming. Loved the one about the Surgeons' General Warning! Smile
Nameless
I predict that by the end of 2009 we will be reflecting on the inaccuracy of the majority of our predictions and making predictions for 2010!

The world will not end, but as always it will continue to slowly deteriorate. We'll distract ourselves with alcohol or technology, but happiness will manage to find us most of anyway if we turned around to greet it. Some of us will die, but not the ones who deserve it. Too many will be born, but not to those who need it. Nobody will solve anything, but they'll try, and maybe that's better for the world in the long run. Powers will burn, others will vanish, and something worse will take their place. Tears will go unnoticed. And as the last moments tick by, hindsight will be forgotten. Again.

I'm like a modern day, angsty Nostradamus! Very Happy
samaritan
US retail will begin to fail as the population relearns the wisdom of saving.

Institutional education will loose it's place of honor as the savior of the masses.

The US will pick another fight, and start another non-war in it's effort to stimulate the economy.

We will hear serious talk in academia about the fall of Western Civilization.

US debt will hit the 10s of trillions.

Agriculture will become one of the primary global issues.
DoctorBeaver
Beavers will take over the world heralding a new era of dam-building! Laughing
pashmina
the world economic status will return to normal.

i hope so.
tidruG
  1. I'll graduate from college.
  2. India will become World No.1 Cricket Team, at least for the tests.
  3. Recession will deepen.
  4. Another coup will occur in Pakistan; relations between Pakistan and India will hit an all-time low compared to recent years.
  5. Despite making strong speeches, the US (or any other country) will not really do anything extreme to dismantle the terror camps in Pakistan.
  6. At the end of the year, we'll be surprised at how many unpredictable things have happened

List 2:
  • Metallica will re-launch Death Magnetic [Remastered], but without the Loudness war messing up the sound quality. The album will he hailed as a breakthrough for the band (again), but will receive lower critique scores for having no new material. Lars Ulrich will also announce his retirement from drumming duties while on tour. He will instead take the position of the official Band Monkey.
  • Andrew Symonds will get drunk, mishear a curse, forget to show up for training and then sober up and apologize. This time, he will re-enter the team as the twelveth man, and carry drinks out to Shane Watson.
  • I'll think of more things for next next year, I promise.
mk12327
1. The economy will continue to be very bad, or even become worse.
2. Oil prices will take a dip before rising back to normal levels when countries cut their oil productions.
3. Health costs will increase though death rate of diseases will decrease.
spring567
I did't think it before see this post .
2009 is coming soon . It is time to list things 2009 need to do :
1. Learn more computer technoloty ;
2. Relax 2 hours every day . For example ,doing some sports , singing songs .
3. Work happily .
4. Buy a car . Bulk
5. Buy a house .

I will try to do these . I hope 2009 is a lucky year .
lagoon
I will be happy.

There, what a lovely prediction. (Oh, and the world economies will collapse, national debt will go into 10's of trillions, bla-de-bla.)
silverdown
I think in the USA ;
    More layoffs will happen as well as more job will open leaving at square one.
    Gas prices will rise up again and possible fall.
    Produce will rise a little more then fall again.
    Brittany Spear will have another child, then have it taken away

NOTE: These are predictions!
friuser
I predict the world will be much worst with barack obama as president. The economy will be worst than ever in 2009. Here's hoping for 2010 will come sooner than later.
jmlworld
As 2009 arrives, I hope:

1. Israel will stop killing innocent Palestinians and will withdraw the Palestinian soils, and Palestinian armed guys will ceasefire.

2. World leaders will do their best to put the world economy into shape again.

3. Barack Obama will bring incredible thoughts to restore the world confidence towards the United States.

4. Arsenal Football Club will win the FA Cup, Barclays Premier League and the EUFA Champions League, despite their poor form in the campaign so far. Very Happy

5. I missed Sweden a lot, and I hope I'm gonna get there in time in 2009.

6. FriHost will grow BIG and BETTER than ever before.
quex
Anybody putting there money on Web-Bot or the EGGs this year? This year's haul came back with some strikingly accurate coincidences... but so does everything in retrospect, or so it seems to me. XD

We've still got that late 2008/early-to-mid 2009 "major coastal event" to worry about, so I'm betting:

1) long-time-coming quake in the Pacific (or under any landmass thereby surrounded; I'm covering my ass here. XD)
2) attempts on the life of U.S. president Barack Obama, frightening in number and impetus, and a call across the nation to force an end on violent racist groups like the KKK and Aryan brotherhood
3) US re-evaluates its consumerism; conservative spending is no longer a mark of shame for the wealthy, but rather, a sign of modesty and consideration; the idea of simpler, more sustainable products takes off like a rocket and helps support the flagging economy
4) Steve Jobs becomes a cyborg. :D
5) More people will make random guesses about this kind of stuff and Web-Bot will suck it all up.

Good luck, folks!
ingelady
Rolling Eyes
i do not live in the USA, but I see news. I work in the Hospitality Industry in Aruba (Caribbean Island) and yes, the USA economy has affected our main production and tha is the travel industry. 80% of our income is tourism and it has dropped to at least a 60% this year. We are not sure what will happen in 2009 in Aruba, but our forecast is down for 2009. A lot of the USA citizens that visit the island predict at least a one year more. We hope not.
We just have to pray and ask God to help this worldwide situation.
shkumbin
Obama will gradually move out troops from Iraq and Afghanistan and will have a better understanding with the Arab world.

There will be a boom in blogs, millions will appear (and everybody will want to get rich by monetize them)

People with AIDS will live longer but there will be no cure for AIDS yet...

and so forth....
_AVG_
I predict .... that the top 4 will be broken finally ... I think at the moment, Villa seem to have the strongest chance.
I think that there will be quite a few crests and troughs in the international economy ... markets will be very unstable and unpredictable
In science, I think that they will make a major breakthrough in biotechnology, cloning or something. Our knowledge about the universe will increase.
Technology and computers will also develop further.
And lastly, I don't want to say this, but terrorism will not be stopped.
These are my predictions.
tony
spring567 wrote:
I did't think it before see this post .
2009 is coming soon . It is time to list things 2009 need to do :
1. Learn more computer technoloty ;
2. Relax 2 hours every day . For example ,doing some sports , singing songs .
3. Work happily .
4. Buy a car . Bulk
5. Buy a house .

I will try to do these . I hope 2009 is a lucky year .

Wow, Spring567: You have a busy year ahead of you and lot's of spending!
ptfrances
I guess that the first six month are going to be bad economically speaking but I hope the last six one will be much better.
But I hope even more that there will be less war, more peace throughout the globe... I know it's quite utopic but hope make life easier
Rolling Eyes
taytay
My black friends and I came up with a new slogan for USA during Obama's term.

"don't worry! Obama 'll fix it."

lol. we thought it was funny...
linkview
After the 2nd World War each president from USA have done war (militar operation with deceased) in a place (or more) around the world.
So I guess only where, when, Obama will do.
jabce85
.. i will win the lottery Wink
wylieconlon
Obama will become President and start ending the war.
I will get a job.
The economy will fall more but will start stabilizing late in the year.
My friends might start listening to the same music I do.

Overalll, next year will probably just be a continuation of this one. New Year's is just the day after December 31st.
truespeed
wylieconlon wrote:
Obama will become President

I think you may get this one right.
j_f_k
DinoBob wrote:
.. lots of quite amusing predictions ....

i predict at least one of dinobobs predictions will actually come true and also that the founder of thunderbirds, Jeff Tracey will be born and international rescue will become a reality by 2064.
Johnny_Romance
I predict that we'll just keep going' on. We won't stop. Our lives as we know it are not just going to go poof and vanish. and I am not saying that we won't die, I'm saying that we won't go down without a fight. Many people forget, that we are the top of the socially presented food chain. I am man, we are one here us roar.
georgeodowd
Personally I'm hoping one of the following happens:
(1) The last vestiges of society will crumble under massive population density, and we'll start dumping people into space to get rid of them.
(2) Electric vehicles will finally become affordable means of transportation.
(3) A large earthquake in California will drive absurd real estate prices to Bible belt levels.
quex
georgeodowd wrote:
(1) The last vestiges of society will crumble under massive population density, and we'll start dumping people into space to get rid of them.

I love it. Not forced sterilization, not even a quota on children; instant space-dumping. XD

Quote:

We can only hope. -_-

Quote:
(3) A large earthquake in California will drive absurd real estate prices to Bible belt levels.
[/quote]

Can we do anything about New York or Chi-town? ;_;
Also, nice use of "bible belt." Nobody wants to live there, but it's not that the land is distant from water or historical population centers, nor difficult to live on or anything... it's because there are so many fanatical Christians there. Eeeeeexcellent jab. XD
Horizon
Oh jeez..-

-A huge natural disaster, possibly a hurricane or tsunami.
-Barack Obama will keep his promise about our economy
-Barack Obama will lead the USA to its death via the war.
-Barack Obama will be assassinated.. dang, too harsh but it'll probably happen. Too many racists.
-Barack Obama will be impeached for some reason.
-Barack Obama will make more pardons than any other president.
-Barack Obama will make a new holiday.
-Religion will be null and void.
-World War III. Awesome..
-Global Warming will go too far and we'll all die a horrible death of pain, flame, ash, acid, chemicals, explosions, and fluffy bunnies. But that's before we die..
-1998's Godzilla will have a sequel. I'd love to see that ^^.
-Saw 6 will come out made by Marilyn Manson. Yahoo.
-This thread will include horrible events in the duration of 2009.
-Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince movie will be a hit. Coming this summer... dun dun dun..
tamilparks
Let the Whole World be a Peaceful world, so we pray in our prayers,
and the needful persons to get the needful things and remove the sorrows and be a happy life and a Peaceful life...
Let the God be with all
Blaster
Gurdit good luck on passing college.

I think that this year will bring a bunch of different good things.

First with Obama will help bring the economy back up however this may take a while.
The Eagles will win the super bowel
More people will try to be "Green" along with more companies
A new processor will come out that will be even faster then the fastest out there now
akshar
Yes we had enough wars in the past two years. US attacking in Iraq and Afganistan but now its going to be India and Pakistan.
killerqueen
georgeodowd wrote:

Ditto that.
gcaughill
truespeed wrote:

1. There will be violence in the middle east.

2. World will be in recession.

3. GM will once again scrap their electric car plans.

4. Corrie Sl**t will become prime minister of Canada.

5. elsewhere.

6. george w. bush will be named un secretary general.

7. pakistan and india will be near a nuclear confrontation.

etc.
TomGrey
The world economy sees more destruction than creation.
Obama and the Democrats choose to try to save the losers, like GM and Citibank, rather than letting these Big Bad companies enjoy the free market discipline of bankruptcy.
Saving the losers won't increase the number of new jobs, so the economy won't get much better.

"Anthropogenic (human based) Global Warming" will be more clearly seen to be factually inaccurate -- altho Climate Changes will be occurring. Since the major costs of climate change involve water, it would be a good time for gov'ts to spend a LOT more on water projects. To reduce costs of floods when there is too much water, to minimize problems of drought when there is too little. Using market prices to make users of fresh water pay for the use would solve most water allocation issues.

More African countries will use DDT impregnated nets to dramatically reduce malaria, and show more clearly how anti-human Greenpeace has been these many anti-DDT decades.

Iraq will continue to normalize, including more democratic agitation against the elected Iraqi officials, especially with the problems of corruption.

Afghanistan will become a hotter war, as the NATO led forces which fail to enforce human rights & freedoms get replaced by Taliban accepting locals, either as active or fearful ant-Westerners. Obama will not win in Afghanistan in 2009.

Oil prices will drift back up to about an average of $50 / bbl, with the year end being more like $60.

China will be suffering huge political unrest. The 20-40 million excess men (more than women) in the 18-38 age will be causing huge questioning of the cost of China's 'one child policy'. The men who have little prospect of getting a wife will, with economic growth stalling, become angry.
Chinese leaders will try to hide this,and to redirect it against the West, but this won't be fully successful.

Most counties will see continued house-price declines, until there is a clear Fed policy to support some lower price level.

I'll continue to be more accurate but also boring -- it's so much easier to be accurate and fun when you're being negative against those you hate. But I hate few of those who disagree with me; I just think they're wrong.
chasbeen
(1)More people will lose their jobs (Unfortunately).
(2)Sales of top end cars (> $100,000) will increase.
(3)That a realistic Internet TV station will emerge. Basic membership will be free and will offer an interesting range of programs. Although only a tiny screen the trend will be clear by the end of 2009.
Internet TV will offer more program with less advertising and will show it's first signs of interactivity with the remote audience.
(4)Digital TV will get a "feed" from the internet to show the best of the "Internet programs".
(5)Personal websites will recieve more recognition as every individual will start to establish their own piece od "real estate" on the Internet and there will be a movement away from going between the main websites as individuals visit other "individual" websites more.
DinoBob
  • Bondings will be attacked by either a vicious rabbit, or a rogue garden gnome carrying a tube-sock. <B(/)<

• People will start to recognize that infinite rickrolls and browser-eating pop-ups are *not* funny the second time. ;>.>

• Rick Astley will finally be properly envisioned as a textual smilie via the power of Japanese characters and UTF-8. (:る

• I will spend much time lurking in the Fri room on DALnet, starring at others until they blink (, at which point I'll type "lol" and exit o.O).
truespeed
My predictions for 2009.

Instead of doing the usual "world will/won't go into deeper depression" "more/less wars" I will try to be specific,so either my predictions will be way off or i will look like nostradamus.

1: Prince Harry to get killed in a helicopter crash while doing a tour of duty in Afghanistan
2: Manchester City to win the FA cup beating Manchester united in the final with Robinho scoring the first FA cup hat-trick since Stanley Mortensson in 1953.
3: Barack Obama gets shot but survives assassination attempt.
4: Katie Holmes divorces Tom Cruise
5: Houston in Texas is almost destroyed, when hit head on by a hurricane.
6: South Africa is stripped of hosting the 2010 World Cup and is replaced by England.
7: Andy Murray wins Wimbledon beating Novak Djoković in the final.
8: Heather Mills/McCartney gets it together with ageing Rolling Stone, Ronnie Wood.
9: Bill Gates buys the debt ridden country of Iceland. Pronounces himself King William and builds himself a palace in the capital Reykjavik. Not to be outdone Steve Jobs buys Belgium and renames it iCountry.
10: Google buys frihost for $1 million and turn it into the largest free hosting website on the net,Bondings retires and moves to iCountry.
hunnyhiteshseth
tidruG wrote:
  1. I'll graduate from college.
  2. India will become World No.1 Cricket Team, at least for the tests.
  3. Recession will deepen.
  4. Another coup will occur in Pakistan; relations between Pakistan and India will hit an all-time low compared to recent years.
  5. Despite making strong speeches, the US (or any other country) will not really do anything extreme to dismantle the terror camps in Pakistan.
  6. At the end of the year, we'll be surprised at how many unpredictable things have happened

List 2:
  • Metallica will re-launch Death Magnetic [Remastered], but without the Loudness war messing up the sound quality. The album will he hailed as a breakthrough for the band (again), but will receive lower critique scores for having no new material. Lars Ulrich will also announce his retirement from drumming duties while on tour. He will instead take the position of the official Band Monkey.
  • Andrew Symonds will get drunk, mishear a curse, forget to show up for training and then sober up and apologize. This time, he will re-enter the team as the twelveth man, and carry drinks out to Shane Watson.
  • I'll think of more things for next next year, I promise.

I second that, right from "I'll graduate.." to Symond being 12th man!! lolz Laughing
swestphal
I think that the global weather patterns will have people starting to wonder about the validity of global warming (Thus Al Gore will make less money).

Electric cars will debut and will have a hard time getting off of the ground with $38 barrels of oil floating across the ocean to America. T. Boone Pickens CNG cars will never get off of the ground because no oil company in their right mind would build the infrastructure required to have CNG pumps everywhere when they know that gasoline will eventually return to $100 / barrel.

I have no idea what the economy will do. I'm not so sure that anyone out there has the capacity to figure out all of the things that weigh in on the process as a whole, or to weight them properly. Lots of talk of economic indicators usually leads to a reprint that says the indicator meant something completely different than originally thought.

Just a few thoughts......
erlendhg
I predict that Barack Obama will be the new president of USA Smile
joomla
I predict that this will be one of the thoughest years in modern history.
Because of the failing economy people will start rioting all over the planet.
This already happened last year but now with the markets being down so far, food prices will go up tremendously. It looks like revelations is right. People will pay a days wages for a bread (just like they do in Zimbadwe already).

Maybe this year will teach the greedy people a lesson.

Hope I am wrong.
quex
joomla wrote:
People will pay a days wages for a bread (just like they do in Zimbadwe already).

I see what you did there. :D
Zombie
I think the new president will do great this year. I have high hopes for the economy as well
truespeed
truespeed wrote:

2: Manchester City to win the FA cup beating Manchester united in the final with Robinho scoring the first FA cup hat-trick since Stanley Mortensson in 1953.

Man city were knocked out of the FA cup in the third round today,beaten at home 3-0 by nottingham forest.

So thats 1 down 9 to go.
bigt
truespeed wrote:

I expect to see more identity theft attempts, focused electronic attacks, and few of the old-style defacements. Everybody seems to be out for information these days and they don't want to bring attention to their attacks.

Maybe the economy will get better soon, but I expect things to stay the same for a few more months.
nivinjoy
I would like to comment on this topic as points...!!!

1. First of all considering about myself I will become an engineering graduate that is i would pass out in March 2009 as a engineering graduate with B.E in Mechanical Engineering..!!And also i will become 22 years old in December 2009..!! Laughing Laughing

2. About world..America will see the CHANGE through Obama..!!India will advance in the astronomy field..!! Iraq war and American troops will be called off..!! Chance for Pakistan to be declared as a terrorist state..!! India to fight strongly against terrorism and terrorists..!!

3. About Frihost..!! More and more members,say hundreds and hundreds of members to be added to the community..!! And hundreds of new websites to roll into the WWW through Frihost..!! And may be i think there will be a launch of a new face for Frihost..!! (If Bondings is willing)

Anyway let's all hope for the best to happen to all the people and let's pary for the best...!!! Laughing Laughing
snowynight
There will be a rise in the stock market.
All will be free to use moble video chat.
Computers will all have the ability to calculate 4 times faster than now.
Desktop Pc will disappear in the market, even slim ones.
And etc.. Very Happy
Blaster
truespeed wrote:

9: Bill Gates buys the debt ridden country of Iceland. Pronounces himself King William and builds himself a palace in the capital Reykjavik. Not to be outdone Steve Jobs buys Belgium and renames it iCountry.
10: Google buys frihost for $1 million and turn it into the largest free hosting website on the net,Bondings retires and moves to iCountry.

Bondings already lives in iCountry
sketteksalfa
- I think economic crisis will be felt more this coming year all over the world.
- There would be unification on internet browsers so we dont have to worry again on cross browser issues. Very Happy
- There would be war in the middle east involving Iran.

Thats all folks. Razz
officernarc
quex wrote:
georgeodowd wrote:

I love it. Not forced sterilization, not even a quota on children; instant space-dumping. XD

honestly, i would have thought we'd would resort to cannibalism before space dumping. i mean, really, sending space ships full of people off-planet is not a cost effective use of resources in comparison to turning people into soylent green.
officernarc
darkwillysan wrote:
officernarc wrote:
quex wrote:
georgeodowd wrote:

honestly, i would have thought we'd would resort to cannibalism before space dumping. i mean, really, sending space ships full of people off-planet is not a cost effective use of resources in comparison to turning people into soylent green.

Vejo que todos tem muitos sonhos...alguns até meio que utópicos, mas o que vale mesmo é sonhar, senao nao adianta pensar em um mundo melhor. Afinal de contas, no mundo de hoje sonhar parece ser a unica esperança para se manter a fé. Acredito em um mundo melhor, em uma vida melhor para meus filhos, netos, e pq nao...para mim. Sei que a curto prazo é dificil, mas temos que começar por algum ponto. E que seja agora, hoje !

i'm sorry. i really don't speak spanish at all.
mejo1900
Diablosblizz wrote:
Hopefully the world will become more greener.

Totally agree with this prediction, people are becoming way more aware of their environmental impact and more "green" living options are popping up everywhere. I think in 2009 we will see the environmental cause really take off.

Yea recession will probably go deeper, but I predict that will lead to (eventually) a less consumer-driven society...which would be nice.
hunnyhiteshseth
truespeed wrote:
My predictions for 2009.

Instead of doing the usual "world will/won't go into deeper depression" "more/less wars" I will try to be specific,so either my predictions will be way off or i will look like nostradamus.

Err... Infact nostradamus' predictions were too vague. hey can fit anywhere after a event has happened and yours are too specific. Man, atleast allow some leeway for yourself!
quex
snowynight wrote:

PCs in general need to disappear from the market. XD The government might actually run faster and more efficiently if they switched all internal systems to Macs... You think the CIA runs on PCs? Hell no, not since 2002. Neither does MI5. XD
Afaceinthematrix
quex wrote:
snowynight wrote:

PCs in general need to disappear from the market. XD The government might actually run faster and more efficiently if they switched all internal systems to Macs... You think the CIA runs on PCs? Hell no, not since 2002. Neither does MI5. XD

Yeah, who uses PCs anymore? I don't even think Microsoft does.

Oh, and for anyone who's about to call me an idiot, I was being sarcastic.

But I do think that Macs are better. If I could afford one I would have one.
furtasacra
I predict one or more of the following:

Fresh fruit and vegetables will become so expensive that I will no longer even be able to buy them at the farmer's market. My yard is too shady for vegetables, so I will attempt to grow a planter garden on the roof, and fall to my death.

My cat will escape from the house, get pregnant, have six kittens, and one of them will trip me up while I attempt to change a lightbulb, and I will fall to my death.

I will start doing my spring cleaning, and while I'm on a ladder washing the windows, I will fall to my death.

Is anybody seeing a pattern here? I almost fell off the roof on Christmas Eve Day, but intead of getting killed I ended up being
really embarrased instead.

However, I would be infinitely more fearful if John McCain had won the election (soon to be murdered by Sarah Palin, who would promptly jump-start Armageddon).
truespeed
furtasacra wrote:
I predict one or more of the following:

Fresh fruit and vegetables will become so expensive that I will no longer even be able to buy them at the farmer's market. My yard is too shady for vegetables, so I will attempt to grow a planter garden on the roof, and fall to my death.

My cat will escape from the house, get pregnant, have six kittens, and one of them will trip me up while I attempt to change a lightbulb, and I will fall to my death.

I will start doing my spring cleaning, and while I'm on a ladder washing the windows, I will fall to my death.

Is anybody seeing a pattern here? I almost fell off the roof on Christmas Eve Day, but intead of getting killed I ended up being
really embarrased instead.

However, I would be infinitely more fearful if John McCain had won the election (soon to be murdered by Sarah Palin, who would promptly jump-start Armageddon).

You were watching the big game when your TV went funny,so you got on to the roof to fix the ariel,and fell to your death... oh wait, that was Rod Hull.
airh3ad
This migth happend In the years that I’ve been doing predictions, this round seems to be particularly difficult. Why? Well, the overall landscape is relatively depressing. For now at least, the days of new and interesting start-ups are on hold. The big guys aren’t exactly in an experimental mood. And even social networking seems sorta played now 5 years after the introduction of MySpace friendster facebook multiply etc..
andersonic
1. There will be another terrorist attack in the USA, OR a direct attempt on Obama's life.
2. Recession will get worse, and lots more companies will go into administration
3. War between Russia/Ukraine, USA/Pakistan
4. I will win the lottery
wab11287
"Recession will go deeper, especially in Europe. More lay offs as countries in Europe have aging populations, so possibly retirement ages may be shortened? More financial institutions run into trouble. England really in trouble. Pound sterling losing more value.
United States may get in better shape due to positive hopes in a new President and hands-on approach to solve the problems. US Dollar will strengthen against other currencies.
Court actions against Governments for taking over Banks perhaps as being unlawful and illegal. At minimum Government interference may be seriously questioned in all centres of the world.
Iraq still of great concern, but focus now on Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and Iran as problem areas, especially also given they are nuclear armed countries (with exception of Afghanistan).
Russia may have inner turbulence due to financial crisis with sporadic unrest and perhaps politics veering to rightists? China in contrast will probably have a positive growth rate, however less so than for 2008."

I have to say that you really summed it up very well. Its a shame but I feel that you are correct with almost everything you said. Lets hope some things will change for the better.
Runescapetown
I reakon theres going to be a rapid increase of temperature (bloody so hot here as it is -.-).... then it will rain down acid one day also!
mshafiq
History repeats itself ....

I remember a saying that
The day of the highest boom is the day of start of decay.

I suspect some other country is coming into scene now.

This year?
I think, at least, picture will start its exhibition.

This way or that Muslim countries are going to suffer a lot issues and challenges.

Overall poverty will break its own records.

Food will be cheaper (prices will not rise) until June/July-2009 then there will be about 50 to 100% rise in food prices.

Gas prices will reach again to it higher level (like in Canada about $1.40/L)

-- Regards
tomede
pashmina wrote:

i hope so.

Can agree about that!
iyepes
Nameless wrote:
I predict that by the end of 2009 we will be reflecting on the inaccuracy of the majority of our predictions and making predictions for 2010!

He, he, that's the most exact prediction I've seen in my life.

Smile
dale
pashmina wrote:

i hope so.

And gas prices will fall to something near $1.25.

Very Happy
scriptedsymphony
dale wrote:
pashmina wrote:

i hope so.

And gas prices will fall to something near $1.25.

Very Happy

Wouldn't that be nice? My parents have been moaning and groaning about gas prices forEVER. It's always used as an excuse when I can't go anywhere, because I sadly have to wait another 2 years before I can get my license.
"WELL, YOU KNOW, I WOULD...BU THE GAS PRICES AND ALL...."

I'm kind of just hoping we'll convert entirely to Green energy by 2010. And then maybe in 2011, pigs will start to fly.
ptfrances
For 2009 I hope that my company will start really to grow and that at the end of this year I could say that it's a success.

Smile
jossylala
I predict that i would sucess fully pass my mbbs exams,i would live happy,i would lauch d first ever african based game. My country would recognise what technogy means,i would make more friends and get help on programming here, frihost page rank wud go up by two.Etc
mydesign
O acecimento global vai intensificar seus efeitos!!!
Pin3apple
I hope for my cross- country skiing- sesong to go well.
frankfurter2045
Angella Merkel will be reelected as Kanzlerin in Germany
But i think she may have to build a Union with the FDP

The french people will go on the streets again to protest against Sarkozy politic, but surely on the second part of the year.

England will be qualified this time for the final round of the soccer Worldcup, as well as Cameroon.

Sarkozy popularity will grow in Europe, and he will try to prepare for european presidency, after his mandate.

I will get a 60 000 dollars Job..... hahaha lololol...Just 4 fun.
Parkour_Jarrod
Barack Obama will be assassinated by a texan
PatTheGreat42
I predict fame and fortune. Why? Because that'd be sweet.
hunnyhiteshseth
Economic crisis will hit its low in june-july 2009 and after which reports of recovery will start flying in.
supernova1987a
First Prediction: obama will become the president
second prediction: obama bi-den administration will kill osama bin laden, [just the way ram killed ravana, krishna killed kamsa, look at the similarity between names]
third prediction: more hurricanes, as if cuba is sending the hurricane-weapon to united states, they always originate in cuba
fourth prediction: Anti-Christ Might Show Himself Up Or Wait For A Few Years More Shocked
Fifth Prediction: a problem on the internet, a problem on economy
sixth prediction: the rumor spreads and it spreads like a wind it reaches one city to another
sevent prediction: The Face Transformation, For The Truth To Unfold, The Easier The Material World
EIGHTH PREDICTION: Power Shower. Clean heart. You rise and we rise. False belief. Truth.

Complex Mathematics Used To Predict The Above, But I Didn't Use It, Some Brain Nerves Did It And Told Me Haha

edit by rvec: please don't use all caps
Ghost900
I predict the US and World economy to continue to slip and I predict a higher job loss and stocks to continue to slip.

I predict that Guild Wars 2 will come out in beta or at least show some images of the game.

I also predict that Age of Conan will fall into darkness along with a lot of other MMO's.

I predict to still be using Frihost for my web hosting throughout all of 2009.

And lastly I predict in a year that I will see a " 2010 Predictions" Very Happy
Parkour_Jarrod
I predict that someone will read this post
ankitdatashn
deanhills wrote:
Recession will go deeper, especially in Europe. More lay offs as countries in Europe have aging populations, so possibly retirement ages may be shortened? More financial institutions run into trouble. England really in trouble. Pound sterling losing more value.
Russia may have inner turbulence due to financial crisis with sporadic unrest and perhaps politics veering to rightists? China in contrast will probably have a positive growth rate, however less so than for 2008.

In my view recession will move towards getting over, Dunno about other countries but this am saying for India, Fuel prices will again rise as fuel reserves get scanty day by day.Moon will get away 2 centimetres from Earth( Its a fact Smile ), not getting any more points right now...
An1vad
DinoBob wrote:
I predict that contrary to the last eight years, .....

Totally cracked me up!! Nearly fell of my chair there.
Thanks for lightening up the topic, was feeling mildly suicidal there for a moment!!

Cheers-D
goutha
No predictions.

Just HOPE!
yuxan
the most important thing in my 2009,is try to develop my ability,to work harder,make more money....it wil be nice,if i can find a partner....
whansen02
2009 predictions ... my first thought is it won't be any more challenging than the past few years ... even with the recession under foot. We'll come though things ok.
Generally the changes in our planet will be positive & we will continue to adapt as necessary for human survival on planet earth.
It's gonna be a gooood year Very Happy
Will .... look no further for your catia jobs
gandalfthegrey
David Letterman will finally admit he's not funny.

Paris Hilton's name will dominate the airwaves as she will be quarantined by the Centre for Disease control infectious disease unit.

Chris Gains will make a come back and come to dominate the music charts.

The Simpsons will be cancelled after a public backlash when all their new episodes are revealed to be reusing old plot stories.

Bill O'Reilly's head will explode after the hosts a guest panel on his show featuring Al Franken, Michael Moore and Susan Sarandon.

...and we will come one year closer to armageddon. Smile
Jamatu
My predictions;

• Green issues will become more and more of an important issue and the public, government and businesses push the issue
  • The recession will get worse over the comming months until mid/later summer
mshafiq
Subject: Might is right will become a universal law if it is not yet

Might is right will become a universal law if it is not yet known in litrature (though it is visible how powerful contries impose their wrong-rights over real human rights).

The simple law will be 'all rights whatever the most powerful country/countries define are the rights'.

Injustice was observed in poor countries but it will be observed among county levels with more intensity than ever.

I pray to God and wish that it would turn out that it was a wrong prediction. [but it is mine one....]

May God protect all of us.

-- Best Regards
killianvillian
I will eat no cake for breakfast. As a starter food for the day, there was a time when it was second to none. It brought the subtle desire to enjoy waking up in the morning. And it was always beautiful just to look at.

But now I have to progress. I just cant fight with the sugar rushes anymore. So, Cake, you graceful warrior of happiness, we must part ways. I hope that by chance we will meet for a birthday, some time after noon, but please resist the temptation to find me any earlier.

Much love and respect.
Arthur3009
ger very happy year, get ready for the last year of high school, it is really hard, and i'm already tired, just in thinking, what about get in trough this. i hope to ahve good grades, and good teachers, be a good person, e hope to see britney spears on her live tour. i don't no more things that i have to do. and i hope peace in the world too.
people888
Housing market for USA will remain very poor and it will be a buyer's market up to at least one and a year's time and more before it picks up again. We must hope that with Obama as the new President, USA economy and will start to shape up but who knows how long it would take before USA is good again...
kody
1. Recession continues.
2. Housing market crash continues.
3. I come in 2nd place in the company hockey pool.
4. Vancouver Canucks win the stanley cup (you heard it here first! Smile )
5. People make predictions about 2010.
bigt
truespeed wrote:

I think things are either going to turn around economically or the recession will get worse this year. The turnaround won't be until mid-year however.
thommichhan
liverpool will be the champions of english premier league this time
Afaceinthematrix
bigt wrote:
truespeed wrote:

I think things are either going to turn around economically or the recession will get worse this year. The turnaround won't be until mid-year however.

Well there isn't another choice, is there? You said that things will get better or get worse. Economies never tend to stay static for too long so there isn't really another choice there. So I'd say that it's safe to say that your "prediction" will be accurate. Of course in 2009 I'll either survive or die. I can say that with great confidence and I'll take any bet on that.
hunnyhiteshseth
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Of course in 2009 I'll either survive or die. I can say that with great confidence and I'll take any bet on that.

Or you can go in coma. Laughing
SBCBC33
Michael Jackson and Prince will continue to entirely creep me out.
mtsbuild
this is such a strange conversation to have as it is one that has no metrics to back it up as it is ALL relying on money that neither exists nor will ever exist... the whole premis behind business today is that you invest to build the company, who then returns dividends and because of which we always expect growth..... the assumption that if your not growing - you are dying ir right..... but only for big business.... the best way to describe this is by using the famous retail wheel..

essentially - todays macro environment is mirroring the retail work.... as smaller shops get economies of scale, they upsize and grow beyond measure... and people love and trust them to proviude them with the goods they need... however it gets to a point where neither the retailer or its suppliers will accept any form of product that doesn't supply them with economies of scale and thus the smaller specialist is borne.... you see this in most large business sectors...

where it has a dynamic in line with macro environments is that the only companies that will survive today are the massive companies who have created a good business practise and one that is reliable ... hense the market will become more monopolistic.... and as a result we should see a raft of smaller companies who are not only more efficiently driven, but can offer products that the biug companies can not... namely... touch of class... difference and human touch...

big companies ARE NOT EFFICIENT - it goes against every logical arguement.... you cant efficiently run a billion$ company.... and want proof.... look at the micro enviornments of ANY company ANY sector sna i bet you can shave of at least a 100,000 - 1million in a single remit simply by consolidation and organising politics/ownership and processes within certain functions...
for example.... i know that most marketing/sales/media/ departments argue over ownership rights of intellectual property like photos, actual prod examples, etc...etc... copy, advertising,... etc...
and within each of these arguements exists time, manhours, and ultimately quality, simply because of a political need to own 'stuff'..
mtsbuild
....i worked for a major engine manufacturer who had this very issue... ownership of customer facingmaterials sat with the media department so whenever anyone wanted property they went through media first..... (add on average 1wk lag time).....

once lag time is gone... media teams tend not to be technical so they tended to stock photos, engines, components in single areas (add another 2 days to find what u want) -

then when creating sample producs they often used wrong components (add £100,000 per year) - and worst of all, once the product was actually attained... they were in charge of sending it to the right show/conference (£50k+ in wrong deliveries) -

so in a single remit... per year we would realise over 250,000 of improvements simply by changing ownership of one product area... (considering we have over 40 product groups and 1000s of variations... do the math...

AND THIS IS IN ONE SINGLE MARKETING vs MEDIA DEPARTMENT

this can be rolled out and used in most business who polarise their departments and create ownership politics...

hense NO LARGE COMPANY CAN POSSIBLY BE EFFICIENT......WHY?

BECAUSE OF ARROGANCE AND POLITICS
laumalta
Most of you wont know what Im talking about... but for those taht can understand this:

- São Paulo will claim Brasileirão title again..., and Libertadores de America too... and will beat Barcelona at FIFA´s world championship...

- Lula will be as popular as now, despite the crisis...

- Ill get meself a second job... maybe a third one

- Clothes are going to get way more colorfull...

- Hair freedom...

- less rain at certain places... more at other
rshanthakumar
Will anyone pay me if I get the predictions for 2009 right?

Mark these words Wink

Economics:

1. All the steps taken by the US and the rest of the countries to offset the issues of the economics will come to nothing. Simply because they are not addressing the cause of the problem instead they are only providing a symptomatic treatment. Why they are not addressing the cause? Because they do not want to admit that it is the problem and just cannot kill that business now since another set of people will fall down with it.

2. Industries and research will continue to grow despite the economic slow down proving the fact that the recession is really the making of financial sector and no one else has caused it. Though every one is affected by it.

3. The state of the finances will see an upward swing by end of the year 2009. But this is only a mirage since the real issues of the sector is not being addressed. People are only fighting symptoms. This would mean we will have another major fall within the next four to five years.

4. Hunger and deaths could be rampant in the third world to a larger degree compared to what it was in the last two decades.

Thats on economics.
rshanthakumar
Politics

Here are the predictions on world politics:

1. The upbeat and euphoria behind President Obama will die down after six months when he finds himself unable to deliver even 30% of what he promised or promises now.

2. His positive approach will see some progress in the Middle East. But Obama is not the US, of course! There are interested agencies in the US which will never allow peace in this region at least for another five to ten years.

3. Afganistan and Pakistan might be facing the wrath of the US. There could be more fighting. However, by year end, the US could find itself out of the wrangle it got into in Afganistan and Iraq. Of course, people may not be able to call it fully victorious march back. America will do so, however.

4. The US might keep Pakistan fully occupied making it difficult for that country to look at its traditional enemy India. There may not any war if some one is looking for it there.

5. However, we will have fire crackers bursting in the following areas apart from the Middle East: Sudan, Somalia and many of the African countries will continue to burn now and then all through the year. There may not be any solution since most of these wars are proxy and the real people who are fighting are not the ones who are getting killed.

6. Finally, UN will become more meaningless and powerless. (why are we wasting money on it?)
rshanthakumar
Social predictions

Here are the social predictions:

1. Religions will continue to move out of the political scene and to the social scene more and more. But still, the presence of religions will be constantly felt in the tensions and pressures of the social imbalances.

2. Ethics of religions will continue to merge as steadily as it has been happening in the last century.

3. Society will commence a major shift in this year which will culminate after may be a decade. The female power will be get more and more obvious. They will be playing a major role in many of the decisions across the world. This will make the society more humanitarian and considerate. Read, removal of death penalties and such other strong punishments, hurting games will all be shown the exit door. It may not happen in this year fully. But this will be the year when the foundations are laid for it.

4. More interracial marriages and acceptance of weird practices is possible. There are only positive aspects to the interracial marriages but the weird practices could lead to issues in the future.

5. Even though the religious sentiments are merging and there is more holistic approach among people towards religions, they will be religious in terms of fool-hardy beliefs and faiths. people will find themselves believing on non-scientific concepts and faith healing businesses. There will be sprout in such events and occurances.
rshanthakumar
Finally, an important prediction.

No one is going to pay me if these predictions come true!
brett2525193
Obama will fix the economy and the environment, and hopefully we will reduce carbon emissions. I also hope that NASA sends a space shuttle to the moon again: it would be amazing to be alive during another moon landing.
blackjack21
2009 will bw better..i hope..
even microsoft fired 100 employers..but i still optimist that this year will good
blk3
LCD TVs and LCD monitors will dominate the market.

PCs will become more powerful and cheaper, bec. Intel is releasing core i7 the quad cores and core 2 duo would become cheap.

The won't be any new console launch, game companies like Microsoft , Nintendo and Sony will continue support for their current platforms by new games.

The recession will continue all thru out the whole world.

Climate would be on extremes because of global warming.
irvine25
I predict that 2009 will be of great calamities..
Change will come in the form of leaders.
Violence will spread.
Things will get worse.
Quarrels, lies will emerge.
valadez
Gordon Brown eats a bagel.

George Bush writes an autobiography, does a reading promotional thing in a bookstore but embarrasses himself due to not being able to read terrorism.
rockstar
I predict that my life with change quite radically. I have become the father of Georgia (born on the 26th Jan. I have never had childen before so its quite a learning experience!
justtj
I would say
-> there would be atleast one nuke used.. Twisted Evil
-> With new Obama government, some positive development in Asia and less terrorism..

also prediction reminds of Nostradamus, a lot of his previous predictions came true..

“For the year two thousand eight, it will be too bad to contemplate.
It will start with a deep recession that will become a great depression.
A million people will lose their dwelling and unemployment will be swelling.
House prices will keep declining but there will be no silver lining.
And President Bush whose sheer inertia gets him booted out of Persia.
A bearded one named Ben Bernanke will regulate the hanky panky.
He will become a national hero for cutting rates almost to zero.
Two thousand and nine will not pay the mortgages but Fannie Mae.
Presses print trillions of dollars till creditors begin to holler.
Funny money is not good to hold so everything is buying gold.
Two thousand and ten will end the drama as we recover with Obama.”

source: http://www.zdiaz.com/2008/12/nostradamus-2009-socio-economic-political-prediction/
truespeed
As were two months into the new year,shouldn't this thread be locked until 2010?
Cddhesh
Biggest challenge which 2008 has kept for us is "Recession" , will have to restrict it from spreading its effect all over the world else disastrous consequences will have to see in coming time.People have already lost there jobs, can follow road of crime to cater to their daily needs. All business gurus should come together and try to bring solution on this. People should realize the situation and should contribute to this situation. Many companies are laying off their workers because they are at loss that is there but some companies are still on their demand that their profit level should not go below margins even in crisis,such companies should behave properly in this time and should support other organizations too.
Well this was about buisiness, about me i had decided to switch to other company by march, but i don think it is possible for me now. I have decided to go for further studies to secure myself in future.
ptfrances
2009 will be without doubt the first year where most of developed countries are going to be in recession.
But I hope that 2010 will be much better everywhere. Confused
loydcampbell
A number of posters to this thread are pro-Obama. After Congress finishes the approval of the "Spendulous" bill and B. Hussein Obama signs it, we will start seeing that number dimish.

There is very little in the bill that will actually stimulate the economy except the tax cuts, and they are a small part of the total $800,000,000,000. Most of it is pork barrel projects that will benefit only a few. There are provisions hidden in this bill that no one knows about except those who crafted it. The bill was rushed through Congress so fast that it was humanly impossible for anyone to read the entire bill after the conference committee finished changing it. It is over 1,000 pages for goodness sake. It would take several days without a break for one to read that monstrosity. Not one representative or senator knew in detail what he was voting for. It was kind of like the November elections where the majority of voters had no idea who they were voting on except that he was either (1) black (2) a democrat, (3) a liberal or (4) two or more of the above.

When Hussein gets through ushering in socialism and very few people know it, we are done for. The government will control everything we do. The freedoms of the American people are at stake and most people don't even realize it. Know the story about boiling a frog? That is what is happening to us, and the Spendulous bill is just a start. Hidden n that bill is the establishment of a "Health Czar" who will ultimately decide if you can have that operation you want and can pay for or not.

It will take longer than 2009 for most citizens to wake up and realize what is happening to our freedoms. I just hope and pray that it happens sooner rather than later.
hunnyhiteshseth
loydcampbell wrote:
A number of posters to this thread are pro-Obama. After Congress finishes the approval of the "Spendulous" bill and B. Hussein Obama signs it, we will start seeing that number dimish.

You really exemplify how republicans wanted to plan race card by referring Barack H. Obama as B. Hussein Obama

Quote:

There is very little in the bill that will actually stimulate the economy except the tax cuts, and they are a small part of the total $800,000,000,000. Most of it is pork barrel projects that will benefit only a few.

Infact those tax cuts are the sad part as that is not going to help anybody. Infact what the economy needs is spending for future and that is spending on infrastructure and in America's case on healthcare also. Only these spendings would create new jobs. Infact ,nobel prize winner, Paul Krugman has also supported these projects and opposed tax cuts.
And ofcourse its better than bailing out banks by tax payers money. We all have seen effects of Bush's policies in last 8 years and its solution cant be more Bush-style policies.

Quote:

There are provisions hidden in this bill that no one knows about except those who crafted it.

Then how do you know about them? Laughing Are you a secret KGB operative who has access to these hidden provisions to which nobody else has?

Quote:

When Hussein gets through ushering in socialism and very few people know it, we are done for.

Here again you are trying race card.
loydcampbell
To hunnyhiteshseth: The only race card I was playing has nothing to do with his being black. I have no problem at all with that. I was referring to his true family background which the liberal press likes to cover up. He was raised a Muslim and has close ties to at least one Muslim terrorist. Like race, I have no problem with Muslims, but the radical terrorist side of that religion wants to destroy the U.S., and that is what he has identified himself with for many years.

One of his closest advisors for many years was his pastor, who is as publicly anti-American as they come. Until that fact came out during his campaign and his advisors told him he needed to separate himself from that influence, he remained close. His wife was quoted as saying something like, "when he was nominated I felt pride in my country for one of the few times in my life."

I am proud of my country, and I dislike the fact that the liberal press fell in love with Hussein and created an image that just isn't true. When more Americans see what he is made of, and what his true interests are, he won't be our president for long.

Someone asked if I was a secret member of the KGB or how else could I know of the secret provisions in the Spendulous bill. Just listen to a conservative commentator instead of the liberal press and you, too, can be enlightened. Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and others are trying to get the word out, and their influence is scaring the liberals. That is why they want to resurrect the totally unfair "Fairness Doctrine". There is very little market for liberal talk shows and a huge market for conservatives. The Fairness Doctrine would require radio and TV stations to air an hour of liberal garbage for each hour of conservative enlightenment. Because their listening audience would be so small for the liberal time very few stations could afford to carry the conservatives. What is fair about that? Sounds to me like the same kind of control exercized in totalitarian countries over their press. If you can't tout the party line then don't say anything. In case no one noticed, our free country is based on markets. If people want to listen to the party line, they can. If they would rather listen to a dissenting voice, they can. The Fairness Doctrine would effectively limit or destroy that dissenting voice in America.

Thanks for your comments and observations.
mshafiq
Let us pray for peace! - will it be?

Please share yours comments, if we will feel safer and we will observe peace.
When I see a little, I see most corrupt people governing the countries (esp. poor countries).

So apparently I am disappointed from them. Will it need a lot of scarifies from public.
Will ever UN, G8 etc. be able to bring/help in peace establishment sincerely?

==== Let me share following poem (source: http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/peaceful-prayers/ with thanks)

Peaceful Prayers

Let there be peace in the world.
Let us all see peace and not war.
Let us all have peace in the world.
Let all our statesmen know no violence,
Let all love peace with warm vehemence,
Let all be clothed with passionate patience,
Let all respect peace with real reverence.
Let peace pervade every political terrain,
Let peace calm the spirits of every domain,
Let peace be at peace with every reign,
Let each achieve peace with poor pain.
Peace, to you we plead: come to us.
Peace, we entreat you: deign on us.
Peace, we want you: envelope us.
Let our homes be adorned with peace,
Let our streets be paved with peace,
Let our cities be set on a hilltop of peace.
Let peace taint our every thought.
Let there be peace, let peace never cease
Let there be peace, let war forever cease.

Jude Ogunade [/code]

Though I have doubts, but

Let us pray for it!!!

--

Thanks and Best Regards.
ft09
Everything will go to teh crapper but there will be some slight comfort towards the end of the year (it has to happen right?) but personally it will be fantastic!
roxys_art
Everything will go even further down hill and we will all die and life on the planet will cease as you know it. Well, I guess that's what will happen if you believe the media. You have to admit though, that would make one hell of a story!
mwsupra
The economy will get a little worse, but life will continue on as we know it. Best prediction I can make really.
andredesignz
all i can say THE LORD IS COMING SOON
SpellcasterDX
justtj wrote:
I would say
-> With new Obama government, some positive development in Asia and less terrorism..

also prediction reminds of Nostradamus, a lot of his previous predictions came true..

source: http://www.zdiaz.com/2008/12/nostradamus-2009-socio-economic-political-prediction/

Kinda scary a lot of those predictions came true. But then again, they were in December, so that's kinda 'cheating' in a way...I hope the last line comes true...lol

As for my predictions, I predict the economy will get a little better by the end of the year, I will be a better person by the end of the year, and I predict I will [hopefully] have another birthday.
SpellcasterDX
justtj wrote:
I would say

Kinda scary a lot of those predictions came true. But then again, they were in December, so that's kinda 'cheating' in a way...I hope the last line comes true...lol

As for my predictions, I predict the economy will get a little better by the end of the year, I will be a better person by the end of the year, and I predict I will [hopefully] have another birthday.
LostOverThere
A year ago I would have laughed at the idea of a global recession. Just goes to show anything can happen. However, my guess is that will see the year of Linux.

Hah, just kidding.
Horizon
Well now that it's a few months into 2009, I've got some different predictions:

The economic state of the United States will remain the way it is for the duration of the year. Obama will try and try again to fix the problem but fail. But what about the other 3 years of his presidency? Who knows. I just hope that this prediction is wrong, 'cause we can't stay this way forever.
gandalfthegrey
Have any of them come true yet?
Horizon
Heh, now that my dad had a pay cut, I now have a new prediction (all for the U.S.):

-Gas prices will continue to increase
-Stocks will become popular for purchase but will fail miserably
-Unemployment will rise greatly in a short period of time
-Obama will continue to try but will hardly make a difference
-New York State will become deserted
-New York State... blah.

I don't like where this is going.. hopefully none of this is true (except the New York State part, it's in far too bad shape overall to survive)
rockstar
andredesignz wrote:
all i can say THE LORD IS COMING SOON

I don't think that a being from a book of fiction is really gonna make much difference.
You might as well say "Sherlock Holmes is coming". A few deluded people believe that he is real too..

Now thats gonna ruffle a few feathers.
mshafiq
Sub: 2009 - 4th month is about to end

When we predict we may think faster than the actual changes could happen.

Anyway, My simplest prediction is

The difference b/w rich and poor will increase with every day passed.

- an article about " Gap Between Rich and Poor Widening in Troubled Economy " is here "http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0817-02.htm".

Here is its little excerpt.

" The wealthiest 20 percent of households in 1973 accounted for 44 percent of total U.S. income, according to the Census Bureau. Their share jumped to 50 percent in 2002, while everyone else's fell. For the bottom fifth, the share dropped from 4.2 percent to 3.5 percent.

Jobs and the economy top the list of voter concerns this election year. President Bush touts a strong economy that is growing, but polls find that Americans have doubts and think jobs are scarce. His Democratic challenger, Sen. John Kerry, is trusted more on the economy.

Democrats talk regularly of "two Americas," divided between the rich and everyone else. That argument has merit, some private economists say.

"For those working in the bottom half of the pay scale, they're under an enormous amount of pressure," said Mark Zandi, chief economist at Economy.com. .........."
FrightKnight
Total world peace! It's still possible!
truespeed
I predict people will still be making predictions for 2009 in December.
mshafiq
Good Day!

Today is last day of August,
Where good things happened..?

Even in advanced countries, economy is bad
in 3rd world countries people are literally near the stage where they will die due to non-affordability to buy something (not meat, sweet, pizza, sandwich, cookies) to survive.

Was it before. World is global village and Rich are buying stuff/food from poor countries and there poor people are going to die with hunger.

.. what is to predict any more....

You may use 2009's predictions for 2010 except slow economy will becomes norm and people will think recession has passed.

Don't you agree, let us share............

Good Luck

By the way, I think China will push india regading their border issue.
In this regards, china may continue irregularities on border to push india tolisten to him.
This can be to show power to the world too.

Someone form india mentioned that it can be even to impose collision.

Quote:
سلامتی کے امور کے ماہر سی راجہ موہن کہتے ہیں کہ دلائی لامہ اور ان کی سرگرمیاں چین کے لیے مسلسل سر درد بنی رہی ہیں اور ہندوستان کی طرف سے ان کی حمایت سے تعلقات میں تلخی آئی ہے۔ لیکن وہ کہتے ہیں ’چین ایک بڑی اقتصادی قوت ہے اور تعلقات اس حد تک کشیدہ نہیں ہو سکتے کہ کسی فوجی ٹکراؤ کا سبب بن جائیں ۔‘

The above URDU text was take from BBC Urdu web service, below is the link.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/urdu/india/2009/09/090901_indo_china_shakeel.shtml

Anyway

I would like to ask DO YOU DISAGREE, WHEN POWER COMES TO SOMEONE, IT BECOMES DISASTER FOR POOR/WEAK.

-- Thanks

edit by rvec: please use the edit button instead of double posting.
mshafiq
Might is Right is going to implemented until 31-Dec-2009.
Might is Right is going to implemented after 31-Dec-2009.

[I am sorry, I forgot to use edit button, next time, I'll do it]
paskifire
Climate Change.. Actually, here in the philippines we've experienced strong typhoons. We're surprised because the typhoons were stronger than the usual.
Radar
truespeed wrote:
I predict people will still be making predictions for 2009 in December.

Yeah. I just came to this thread expecting people to be evaluating the predictions made earlier in the year, rather than still coming up with new ones.
truespeed
truespeed wrote:
My predictions for 2009.

1: Prince Harry to get killed in a helicopter crash while doing a tour of duty in Afghanistan
3: Barack Obama gets shot but survives assassination attempt.
4: Katie Holmes divorces Tom Cruise
5: Houston in Texas is almost destroyed, when hit head on by a hurricane.
6: South Africa is stripped of hosting the 2010 World Cup and is replaced by England.
7: Andy Murray wins Wimbledon beating Novak Djoković in the final.
8: Heather Mills/McCartney gets it together with ageing Rolling Stone, Ronnie Wood.

All mine were wrong.
mshafiq
What about my thoughts.
Any comments if you can please spare some time.

Moreover my predictions are same for 2010 and 2011 too.
Probably for many years
but
there would be difference after 2015 (somewhere between 2015 and 2023).

thanks!!!
rinks
Year 2009 is governed by the Master Number 11. "Ek aur ek gyaarah" a quote often used in Hindi - truly explains the essence, significance and the effect that the year will show to the World. Number 11 is depicted as "The crowned figure of Justice seated between pillars representing mercy and punishment." This signifies that all are equal in the eyes of law and the ignorance of the law is no excuse in the courts of life and even in the courts of men.
mshafiq
Which courts are you talking about...
My friend believe me
'Might is right..' since day 1st...
The only thing This bacteria makes a crust around itself when circumstances are not favorable...
otherwise we (in general) are same bad people who fight and impose wars and pushes some/many poor/innocent people into to miserable lives to get their objectives....
ProfessorY91
Ah, its interesting to scroll through the thread and see how the political focus has changed. Many were talking about the recession, and the progression of the US into economic depression or further instability. It's remarkable to see that halfway through 2010, the focus has now shifted away from the job market and the steady economic downturn to other issues; Afghanistan, Sustainability, etc. The current administration seems to be doing all it can to move past the failures of the previous administration and focus on different issues. A commendable attempt, but then again, no one has said very much about how the job market has grown steadily worse. It's not going to be pretty when students come out of college looking for work. No sir.
soljarag
Ha, this was a fun thread to revisit... Alot of people had high hopes for Obama and the economy Smile
goutha
Nothing of that really happened, and if yes, it is pure coincidence!